Author Topic: HiLo Brow Microfic Writing Contest  (Read 3953 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
HiLo Brow Microfic Writing Contest
« on: March 23, 2010, 05:27:57 PM »
HiLo Brow is having a microfiction writing context. The theme is Radium-Age Apocalypse stories. More details can be found here: http://hilobrow.com/2010/03/22/micro-fiction-contest-2/

Ross and I have already submitted. So if you think you can beat us (or any of the other people who submit), get your stories in before 5:00 on 31 March.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: HiLo Brow Microfic Writing Contest
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:11:38 PM »
(This is my submission. It didn't have a title when I submitted it, but I'll probably call it "News Reel" in the future.)

Cynthia reached into the bag of popcorn that Orville held in his trembling hands. She thought his nervousness cute on their first date.

The news reel before the film started. The announcer's voice booming about the glorious fighting of the country's soldiers in the face of such a brave enemy as images of smartly dressed uniformed men marching synchronously and tanks being loaded onto cargo ships flitted across the screen.

Cynthia looked at Orville. The images reflected in his eyes. The bag of popcorn had stopped trembling. She imagined him wearing a uniform. Still too young to enlist, Orville had another year.

“You're going to make a fine soldier,” Cynthia leaned over and whispered in his ear. She kissed him on the cheek and giggled as he blushed. “I will be proud of you.”

“And now for the national anthem,” the announcer's voice boomed through the theater over a black still frame with white letters that read Everyone Please Stand. Cynthia and Orville mouthed the words along with the other theater patrons.

“Cynthia,” Orville's voice sounded like the announcer's booming across the theater. “Cynthia, wake up. I brought back food.”

Cynthia opened her eyes to Orville holding a rabbit with blood still dripping from its slit throat. She stood up from the broken chair in the the burnout theater that she and Orville had made their shelter for the night.

She touched him on the arm and kissed his cheek, “I'm proud of you.”
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:13:51 PM by Setherick »
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: HiLo Brow Microfic Writing Contest
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:34:19 PM »
The chieftain held the pistol steadily angled slightly off, a conductor’s baton eager to assist the maestro in a last symphony of bloodshed. Von Junzt tensed but otherwise remained motionless. The Electric Book’s platinum cover was slick from the rain. It nearly fell out of his hands. Behind the chieftain stood his son, a child, but already wrapped in the furs of his kills. Von Junzt’s loyal friends, Armitage and Dr. Nelson froze, as the chieftain had surprised them while they were breaking camp. The three of them were the last civilized men on the continent, perhaps the world, yet the savage had bested all of them with simple cunning and brute instincts.

“You needn’t die Junzt.”

“It holds the means to stop the miasma!” Von Junzt roared with an intensity that surprised even him.

“The shaman spoke. It is evil.”

They froze, an eternity between heartbeats before the pistol spoke. Nelson fell first, a blossom of blood on his chest before he could reach his rifle. Armitage dived in front of Junzt, taking the shot meant for the book. Junzt dived to the side and took the third shot in his gut. The Electric Book fell between them. Before the Chieftain could dispatch it, a blade emerged from his chest. Too surprised to even speak, he collapsed.

Vont Junzt stared at the child. The boy simply pulled the blade from his father’s chest.

“I liked the stories it told me. Will you show me more?”

An innocent smile formed.