Author Topic: Cody Fan Club  (Read 703923 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Cody Fan Club
« Reply #300 on: January 13, 2010, 11:26:50 PM »
Everything you need to know is in this thread really.

I can give you simple themes and ideas.

The central thrust of the Cathartic Lobster and Coddowalshagoth in general is corruption. Any setting which involves one of the avatars should try to push your players towards darkness and immorality. Listen to the early episodes of the New World campaign and note Locke's behavior and way of speaking. Sexual themes are foremost and should border on the offensive. Whatever your group finds offensive, you should push to the edges of that and encourage them to do those things.

Other themes, established through the fan club primarily, are a deep pit and things rising out of it after sacrifics are thrown in. Modern rural areas, especially small towns which, in older days would be considered villages, are linked with the cults of Coddowalshagoth. Most recently we went through a minor conflict within the cult. A secret society fighting within itself and effecting the things around it as a result would be a proper expression.

Lobsters, of course, share the correct imagery. The flashy man in a suit who offers things for a price is also a good image. Creatures with hard outsides, most insects infact, work well. Your players should feel intruded upon, invaded. Crawl bugs across their skin. Have animals and creatures that want to be inside of them. Burrowing worms, those flies that lay eggs in open wounds, your players should feel violated by the things they face.

This sense of violation should be mental as well as physical and even when a character leaves they should feel dirty, like they can't fully escape from what they experienced and that they aren't carrying the corruption but that it has latched on, suffused them against their will. Hurt them.

Less common ones themes, but still effective, are those who are losing the fight against hopelessness and temptation. Father Cole is the icon for this, a man who has lost his faith and yet pushes ahead without real knowledge of why. An individual who has previously fallen to corruption and now pushes back against it with too much force while often recalling their former failing.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2010, 11:46:53 PM »
I feel like I have gained a knowledge that man was not meant to know (reading the thread)...

Maybe it isn't so bad after all...

(By the way, I really enjoyed your playing of Former President Martin Van Buren, old I know, but for some reason last year I wasn't listening to Actual Plays, so I didn't hear it until over this past break.)

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 13, 2010, 11:54:53 PM »
Yes more people to dig the pit! Please the master it does! SOON WE WILL FILL THE PIT WITH TITS!

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #303 on: January 14, 2010, 12:12:30 AM »
What I'm trying to do with this contest is expand what we think of as the "portfolio" of this entity. I'd like to eventually see Coddowalshagoth develop a full background, after a fashion. Mythos beings got their classic elements, the things we use today, through the collective (and disorderly) contribution of many, many writers.

Really there is no wrong way to do this. Since things will be decided by vote the most popular "direction" for Coddowalshagoth to take will be pushed to the surface.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 14, 2010, 12:18:40 AM »
Yes more people to dig the pit! Please the master it does! SOON WE WILL FILL THE PIT WITH TITS!

I take it this means I have been absorbed and handed a shovel?

If so, as an anonymous internet persona I shall do my best and hope to not disappoint.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #305 on: January 14, 2010, 12:44:16 AM »
Actually most of us don't use shovels. Dawnsteel's been at the bottom of the thing digging away for months now. We just sort of stay out of his way.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 14, 2010, 12:51:54 AM »
If I'm not digging, what is my responsibility?  If a resume is needed, I could work on one.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 14, 2010, 01:13:08 AM »
Im sure all resume's submited to the master will gladly be reviewed. I Personaly when digging use a jaw bone of a small chipmunk, they are the hated creature of the Coddowalshagoth.

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 14, 2010, 10:54:11 AM »
I dig with the skulls of infants or a shoe. depends on my mood.
Kenders Rock

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 14, 2010, 11:34:25 AM »

Made me think of the Jonathan Edwards quote, "The road to hell is paved with the skulls of unbaptized babies."

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #310 on: January 14, 2010, 12:27:03 PM »

Made me think of the Jonathan Edwards quote, "The road to hell is paved with the skulls of unbaptized babies."

That is so much more metal than "good intentions".

Really we should be constructing a series of pits. I know we have some shallower ones inaddition to the main shaft, so I think a few more and some interconnecting tunnels would be the next step.

I think the best design description would be "inverted towers".

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 14, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »

That is so much more metal than "good intentions".

Really we should be constructing a series of pits. I know we have some shallower ones inaddition to the main shaft, so I think a few more and some interconnecting tunnels would be the next step.

I think the best design description would be "inverted towers".
Need someone to draw up the plans, or are is it going to be more improvised?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #312 on: January 14, 2010, 02:18:45 PM »
Improvised. When we're done we'll draw up the plans to show everybody and make it look like what ended up happening was what we meant to do.

But if your any good with non-Euclidean architecture than by all means, go for it.

Salrantol

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 14, 2010, 05:00:57 PM »
So, I'm not really sure about the Cathartic Lobster, is there somewhere I could look to expand my knowledge?
I really expected the cult's response to be more like, "You will find all the knowledge you could hope to bear--right at the bottom of this pit!"

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #314 on: January 14, 2010, 05:10:53 PM »
So, I'm not really sure about the Cathartic Lobster, is there somewhere I could look to expand my knowledge?
I really expected the cult's response to be more like, "You will find all the knowledge you could hope to bear--right at the bottom of this pit!"

And then we kick him in the chest.