Author Topic: That one thing. You know the one I mean.  (Read 14037 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Re: That one thing. You know the one I mean.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »
Because I'm approaching middle age, I'm going to invoke my "These kids today" right and blame it on video games.  They're so used to having strict paths to follow, and single solutions to problems, that there's no need to think outside the box.  I don't know that it's really true, but since they're not on my lawn I can't gripe at them for that.

Good sir, I take offense to that.  Of course at 20 I don't know if I'm included in this (as I suddenly realize I am actually a bit older than I had initially thought)...

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 01:47:57 AM »
I my most recent DnD game I'm making an effort to push for investigation. Players are all urban types and the game is focused in Sigil, the interplanar City of Doors. First session the players are hired to find a missing agent of a semi-legitimate business. They do some legwork around town and find out he's widely know due to his unusual appearance but nobody knows any details of his life. Eventually take a gate to the town he operates out of and discover that a warehouse owned by the company he works for is currently on fire and all staff are on hand to try and put it out.

The PCs split up. One of them tries to join the bucket line and pump the people for information while lifting and carrying big buckets of water. When I say that people aren't talkative (beyond answering what the fires are current consuming and saying who they are) she gets upset. The other PC finds the company staff, makes the senior member (their contact for the job) pay attention to her, and is upset when he keeps trying to "change the subject", by which I mean he was making many statements as to his concern that the warehouse he was supposed to protect was on fire.

Any time an NPC doesn't do what a PC wants the GM is obviously doing things wrong. But then we already knew that, I suppose.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 10:54:50 PM »
this thread is so full of

RAGE

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 11:20:27 PM »
Is that American McGee's Alice?  Jesus, I haven't thought about that game in ten years.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 11:24:49 PM »
yes, yes it is.