Author Topic: Random Tables  (Read 6613 times)

ethan_dawe

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Random Tables
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:46:34 PM »
I've been playing long enough to remember when Random generation was commonly used for everything in games. It often lead to hilarity and I miss them at times. Anyone else use or miss them? (PLEASE, lets not talk about FATAL and it's random generation!)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Random Tables
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 02:08:25 PM »
I didn't use random tables very often because I wanted to pick my own stuff. But the D&D 3.0 DMG did have alot of tables in it.

I recently purchased a two books of tables actually. One is an entire paperback of various results of damage types such as crushing, cutting, burning, and melting.

The other is The Book of Dumb Tables and features a few dozen d20 tables of things like names, PC concepts, and "High Concepts".

ethan_dawe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 02:17:22 PM »
I have a book of random tables for the D30, but I don't have my D30 anymore. My first edition copy of Murphy's Rules from SJG had a bunch of hilarious random tables in the back including random potion appearance, random pizza topping, and my favorite, random asnwers from wrong number calls.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:24:36 PM »
I use most random tables as lists to prepare ideas rather than spir of the moment things.

Like the lists in Damnation City of NPC desires or new and interesting NPC decriptions.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 05:06:04 PM »
I've been playing long enough to remember when Random generation was commonly used for everything in games. It often lead to hilarity and I miss them at times. Anyone else use or miss them? (PLEASE, lets not talk about FATAL and it's random generation!)

Hey lets talk about FATAL, its got random generation too!

Murph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 06:46:27 PM »
The only random generation table I remember liking is the misc. magic items one, mostly because the items on there weren't combat applicable (most of the time) and not game breaking (most of the time).

Pretty much all other random tables were pretty terrible.

robotkarateman

• Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »
Anyone else use or miss them?

The only two random tables I've ever really liked were the random plot table in TOON, and the random mutations in the original Gamma World.
GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!