Author Topic: All flesh must be eaten  (Read 6626 times)

Bronnen

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
All flesh must be eaten
« on: April 20, 2010, 01:02:16 AM »
So, I've been considering buying this RP, but I'm a little iffy on it. I've heard some really good things about the setting and the mechanics, but I've also heard some people who hate it to a complete and utterly confusing extent.

It seems to me like it's the kind of thing you either love or hate.

As for me, well the idea of playing as a zombie and going around, eating people? Hell yeah!

Dogfish

• View Profile
Re: All flesh must be eaten
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 05:58:32 AM »
All Flesh Must Be Eaten could be played as a zombie but the rules are focused around playing a 'survivor'.

I personally love the system. You can go indepth as much as you want or skim the surface. Character creation has a nice balance of either 'norms' (you and me) or survivors (people with an edge) and a third class of 'inspired' individuals. This allows you to play the more horror/suspense of Night of the Living Dead compared to blasting your way through them with assault rifles ala the Italian Zombie movies.

The splat books are also excellent. One I'd suggest checking out before the others is the Western setting, Fistful O' Zombies. It has a great breadth of idea for expanding on the 'zombie' template and making them a lot more monstrous. It also has some really cool qualities and drawbacks for playing a more cinematic game.

I am one of those people that love it and the system is relatively simple, at least for the player, that you can quickly drum up a game with ease. I have ran a game after 2 hours notice of the original game not being run and everyone enjoyed themselves. Also have been in a very long running Play-by-Post game (over a year now) that has travelled at a remarkable pace for the medium.

It gets a strong thumbs up for me but I do reccomend that if you're the one running it that you give some parts a double read as the number crunching for a GM can get a bit cumbersome and clunky at times.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 01:20:10 PM »
it's a pretty fun game. Making weird custom zombies is fun because players never expect zombies to have different weak spots or powers

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 05:47:18 PM »
I like the zombie rules and the various settings they provide

but...

The system is interesting.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 06:46:03 PM »
I decided to buy the PD of that and a few other books, notably "Coffee Break of the Dead".

I have to say...

This is what Left 4 dead should be! These books are awesome!

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:56:42 PM »
I suppose this as good as a place to ask this as anywhere.  At some point I want to run a one-shot/short action campaign (i.e. anywhere between 5-15 hours of gameplay) centered around essentially a zombie apocalypse set on my college campus.  Would this system work well for this, and if so, what extra books might be helpful?  Otherwise, what other potential systems would work well (I figured I would use the d20 Modern as a fallback if nothing else)?

Oh, and what are the basics of the system?

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:11:00 PM »
Dread would work well.  A quick description is a jenga tower as the combat mechanism, if the tower falls your character dies.  You make a pull ( or multiple ones ) for actions you could fail.  Very suspenseful and well suited for a horror/survival game.  Characters will die.  You just need one book and a jenga tower.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:14:26 PM »
Dread would work well.  A quick description is a jenga tower as the combat mechanism, if the tower falls your character dies.  You make a pull ( or multiple ones ) for actions you could fail.  Very suspenseful and well suited for a horror/survival game.  Characters will die.  You just need one book and a jenga tower.

That thought passed my mind, but I wanted to somewhat avoid the more suspense horror and get a little closer (without actually crossing into) the "shoot-em-up" action type of gameplay (I think it would be more enjoyed for this specific game idea).

Plus the table we usually use for gaming sucks and moves all over the place, so it would likely kill people at random (which in and of itself would be fun, but not necessarily good in this situation)...

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 01:06:22 AM »
Well, from everything I've read so far, this one would work quite well.

The System is based around D10 rolls, 9's and higher are successes. You won't use a die higher than a D10, but you'll use D6's, D4's and D8's. (Why the random order I don't know)

There a shitload of customization that you can do with zombies, and if you need to kill off a PC in some gruesome way, what better way than the make some sort of zombie that can actually think and plan?

There's quite a bit of depth in it, and I'm seriously considering running a zombie apocalypse game now.

As for books to go along with a campaign like that. One of the Living, and the Zombie Master Screen would be quite useful I think. Or atlas of the Undead.

I'm planning on getting those quite soon so I can give you a better review of them if you'd like, but from everything I've read so far, It would be all but perfect for a zombie apocalypse. There's even books to have such a thing in dungeons, or in space, in steampunk worlds, or in your standard fantasy setting with ancient zombies capable of casting death magic.