Author Topic: Don't Rest your head  (Read 4223 times)

Bronnen

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Don't Rest your head
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:40:52 AM »
So I felt like giving my opinion on one of my favorite RP's, and probably one that's not well known, at least in my city it's not well known.

Don't rest your head, is probably the creepiest and most messed up Rp I have ever read.

From the actual site: Don’t Rest Your Head is a sleek, dangerous little game, where your players are all insomniac protagonists with superpowers, fighting — and using — exhaustion and madness to stay alive, and awake for just one more night, in a reality gone way wrong called the Mad City. It features its own system, and is contained entirely within one book.

And a review I found that basically sums up my opinion of this setting. 

“Makes the Call of Cthulhu sanity death spiral look like a handful of baby asprin.”
“… it plays like Call of Cthulhu on crystal meth… This game is really well done, no matter what your dreams are like. And if, like mine, they come from a rich diet of Grant Morrison and H.P. Lovecraft, then this game will tear open your skull and let the monsters in.”

The entire point of this game, is simply to stay awake. By any means necessary. When you fall asleep, they bad guys get you and you die. It's pretty simple and very well done. Well, you don't actually always die, just most of the time. Closer to 99% of the time whenever they fall asleep they die. But, I've seen them survive... once. When the character falls asleep, stuff happens. Nightmares that are so screwed up that you'll start to think you've actually gone insane while writing it. For example, one of the nightmares they give you is that the character actually is an ant-hill. They are a living breathing ant-hill with ants crawling under their skin. Instead of bleeding when you're cut, thousands of ants spill forth and begin to cover the your body, biting, scratching.

Of course you need to change the nightmares depending on what the character is afraid of.

It's one book, everything you need to run a game is contained in it. Character creation is really simple and fun.

There are actual mechanics for character development and how the character would react. Characters get to progress in mind and story, and there are good reminders on your character sheet of what he or she would do in any given situation.

When you create a character, it's more of a questionnaire than a character sheet. There's five questions to help you determine what kind of character you will make.

All in all, I highly recommend this RP. It's beautifully well done, the writing is create, the pictures are creepy and I can still see some of them when I close my eyes. The rules are clear and concise for the most part, with a few of them needing a few re-reads to fully understand.

I give it, 4.5 stars out of 5.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Don't Rest your head
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 02:28:51 AM »
I don't want to derail the thread BUT  Kult wins 'most fucked up horror rpg' award of all time.

DRYH is a great game and fun to play but Kult is really really fucked up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kult

http://www.geeknative.com/1061/kult-beyond-the-veil/

Bronnen

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Rest your head
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 02:32:26 AM »
Ok, yes it does!

Holy crap, I can't believe I've never heard of this one before, though if we're just going for pure fuckery "Kill Puppies For Satan" is pretty damn messed up.