Author Topic: ennies nominations this year  (Read 28617 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: ennies nominations this year
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 09:34:35 PM »
yeah I don't want to use a 2 player game either. I don't want to use Prototype because that's based on a video game either.

beowuuf

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • DM.com - forums dedicated to a 25 year old PC game.
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 03:05:14 AM »
Sucrose park it is!

Edit: You know, the one with the paedophilia references about 5 minutes in :(

I'd also say Tom's first or second divine flame playtests (both have cool aspects to them, I'm partial to the first one).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 03:08:14 AM by beowuuf »

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 03:27:06 AM »
Sucrose park it is!

Edit: You know, the one with the paedophilia references about 5 minutes in :(

I'd also say Tom's first or second divine flame playtests (both have cool aspects to them, I'm partial to the first one).

I like that game as well.  I also (if I remember correctly) think it does a pretty good job capturing the "feel" of RPPR AP (or at least what I like, I've always been partial to the survival horror games, though the 4E games are awesome for a laid-back entertaining listen).

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 08:05:22 PM »
yeah I don't want to use a 2 player game either. I don't want to use Prototype because that's based on a video game either.

I think all the two player games have the best roleplaying. Just a thought.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »

idk I think Candle Cove had better RPing than Arcadia Signal. Both are great but 2 player games feel a little vacant at times.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 08:28:38 PM »
Yeah, I think RJ was the real meat and potatos behind Candle Cove

But it's like a Scott Glancy Scenario.

Dogfish

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 08:43:27 PM »

I agree with this, they're the easiest to follow to.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 12:49:25 AM »
I think what we truly found out, is, RPPR has lots of great AP's and since the judges listen to 3 diffrent ones, most likely there going to stumble accross one of the great ones we have suggested, so lets give them the best, Arcadia signal and let the last 2 fall where they will cause they will most likely come to a great one anyways.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 09:36:17 AM »
I don't think this can be said enough that a two player AP would not go over well with a set of judges.

First, it has an inanely low level of difficulty in terms of keeping a plot balanced and moving. While this can happen with an incredibly large group, the two player group is worse. In terms of judging, the GM cannot show off their skills at handling a larger group with a number of different player agendas that one must keep balanced.

Second, you don't get a good feel for how players interact with one another and how the players interact with the GM. In Arcadia Signal, there was a lot of one-on-one RPing because Cody and Jason would separate. With a multiple player group, when groups separate there is still an added dynamic because players interact with each other more still than strictly interacting with the GM. Basically, it's the difference between when you played RPGs when you were 12 and strapped howitzers on your AutoDuel car and big-boy gaming.

Third, you have a lot of dead space in terms of "what do you want to do?" "I don't know, what do you want to do?" "Fine, we'll do this." In two player games, there is a greater opportunity for one player to dominate the field of play without much input from the other player. Even in well played two-player games this happens. If you don't believe me, listen to Arcadia Signal again. In terms of judging, a multiple player game allows the judges to hear how the GM deals with PC-group agendas as well as individual agendas.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Dogfish

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 10:46:30 AM »
I don't think this can be said enough that a two player AP would not go over well with a set of judges.

First, it has an inanely low level of difficulty in terms of keeping a plot balanced and moving. While this can happen with an incredibly large group, the two player group is worse. In terms of judging, the GM cannot show off their skills at handling a larger group with a number of different player agendas that one must keep balanced.

Second, you don't get a good feel for how players interact with one another and how the players interact with the GM. In Arcadia Signal, there was a lot of one-on-one RPing because Cody and Jason would separate. With a multiple player group, when groups separate there is still an added dynamic because players interact with each other more still than strictly interacting with the GM. Basically, it's the difference between when you played RPGs when you were 12 and strapped howitzers on your AutoDuel car and big-boy gaming.

Third, you have a lot of dead space in terms of "what do you want to do?" "I don't know, what do you want to do?" "Fine, we'll do this." In two player games, there is a greater opportunity for one player to dominate the field of play without much input from the other player. Even in well played two-player games this happens. If you don't believe me, listen to Arcadia Signal again. In terms of judging, a multiple player game allows the judges to hear how the GM deals with PC-group agendas as well as individual agendas.

Are the judges trying to feel the weight of the GMs balls? I don't think so. They want to be entertained. Pretty much all the reasons, bar the ones you gave at the end which are really comments about games in general, are actually good reasons to submit it. The game is smooth, there are lots of roleplaying interaction between the PCs and the NPCs. I would agree that sometimes players will go off and do there own things...sometimes in spite of whats happening around them...like carrying on working at the laundromat when the fires of hell are roasting your toes.

A smooth game with lots of personal interaction sounds like a perfect set-up. You talked about kiddies gaming. How many people when they started off played in very large groups? 6 at least, possibly more? Can you honestly call them the best, role-playing intensive games of your life? also just because you can prove you can handle those groups doesn't nessecarily mean that's a good thing. Having 6 players in line is still not going to be as cohesive to a good game as 4 or less.

Also how many games, which aren't con games or from the New World campaign have your desired number?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »
I'm not going to pick a 2 player game. I did pick Fear Itself last year so there's that. I'm probably going to pick one of the MAOCT games since Candle Cove's 6 hours is a bit much.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 08:41:10 PM »
haha Sorry thought Tom was in Arcadia for some reason. Was such a good game that felt like there were more then just cody and dan! haha!

rayner23

• Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 10:38:12 PM »
haha Sorry thought Tom was in Arcadia for some reason. Was such a good game that felt like there were more then just cody and dan! haha!

Well, it was actually me and Jason, so . . .
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 11:11:14 PM »

Goddamn. It was only Guest Player Brian and Aaron.

Do you guys not remember it at all?  

rayner23

• Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 11:20:17 PM »

Goddamn. It was only Guest Player Brian and Aaron.

Do you guys not remember it at all?  

Are you retarded? It was Mike and a talking Panda!
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.