Author Topic: Help me wean my group off 3.x DnD  (Read 17893 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Help me wean my group off 3.x DnD
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 02:23:52 PM »
Cool, thanks for the game suggestions. I've heard of Hunter the Vigil, but it's part of WoD isn't it? How is it different from WoD?

The players are mortals who have connections to groups with resources and knowledge most people don't have. It's also possible to play the game as straight mortal characters if you so desire.

Virgil introduces an alternative morality device (which is greatly enjoy) called Breaking Points which allows monster hunters to "side step" some mortal problems but also makes them a little freaky. Basically a Hunter can change what he views as a "sin" and take on a moral standard seperate from the rest of mortal society.

There are also rules for team work and special tricks called Tactics. Awesome mechanics and just reading the tactics options will give you and your players now ideas on how to survive a monster fight.

If your group wants to punch vampires in the face and hunt werewolves at night without worrying about getting killed than Hunter is definitely the wrong game for them. But if they want to overcome horrible monsters by the skin of their teeth, than it's perfect.

Hunter is kind of like Call of Cthulhu in that the players are almost always over their heads. However, in Hunter you can "win" if your lucky and skilled.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »
I second Iron Heroes.

It's like 3.5, with some broken stuff, but it's fucking awesome.

Bowzachi

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 10:19:25 PM »
Just so I'm aware what should I be wary of in Iron Heroes

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »
Don't let players play magic users. Magic is for pussies and bad guys.

read the errata
http://ironheroesfaq.pbworks.com/

Bowzachi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 01:09:23 AM »
So magic is still shitbroken even in this huh, that's too bad.  :'( I started reading through Iron Heroes and it looks TIGHT AS HELL, but I am sure a lot of my players are going to be skeptical about absence of magic.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2010, 01:18:46 AM »
So magic is still shitbroken even in this huh, that's too bad.  :'( I started reading through Iron Heroes and it looks TIGHT AS HELL, but I am sure a lot of my players are going to be skeptical about absence of magic.

Just lay down the law say it's the way the world is.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 02:17:36 AM »
all the player characters are such badasses that they don't need magic. Seriously. I am going to record some IH games this summer to prove how much it owns.

IT OWNS

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2010, 04:17:56 AM »
So stick around and some time 3rd quarter 2011 right after diablo 3 drops you'll get some awsome examples of  :'(IH.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
Late 2011.

A little bit optimistic hm?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2010, 08:13:57 PM »
geeez

I post games out of order sometimes

the fear the con games and the world of darkness got posted right after I ran them

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 01:01:06 AM »
Thanks to the Flower Planting mind controlling yahoo!

ethan_dawe

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 09:32:59 AM »
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3.5 epic level isn't broken! It rocks! Anyone who says it doesn't is a nazi furry lover. I'll have to smite them with my Katana!

What was I saying?

My group in 3.5 is going through the mid high levels now (they are currently 13th) and the mechanics are starting to get very hit or miss. I expect it to all fall apart onvce they hit actually epic level, at least without a bunch of tweeks.  They don't have a wizard or druid and just had a sorcerer (though multi-class so only 8th CL) join the group so they lack the true blasting capability.

Seems like 4E has a much better hold on this, though my 4E character is only 2nd level at this point :-)

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 08:47:04 PM »
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3.5 epic level isn't broken! It rocks! Anyone who says it doesn't is a nazi furry lover. I'll have to smite them with my Katana!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH WANTING TO HATE JEWS AND PRETEND TO BE A SEXY FOX AT THE SAME TIME! TELL ME NOW!

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 09:59:33 PM »

WHAT IS WRONG WITH WANTING TO HATE JEWS AND PRETEND TO BE A SEXY FOX AT THE SAME TIME! TELL ME NOW!

Just click here.

EDIT: For the life of me I don't know why Tom and I picked Killer Whale and Aardvark...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 10:05:28 PM by Setherick »
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

siriq

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2010, 11:58:56 AM »
I remember an epic lvl game i play where i could jump as high as i would like and as far as my 130 speed would permit with out a running jump, all possible with just a couple of epic feats.  And the fact that i could sneak attack from 60ft with a ranged skirmisher and if i hide they would have to role to see me even after i attacked. Crazy.  After that game i convinced my group to do fear itself and i ran it. 
They loved it! havent played dnd since.  although i think were going to start a 4th edition game soon.  some times a dramatic change of setting is needed to facilitate the dnd edition switch.