Poll

Simple: What is the best fighting game ever?

Marvel vs. Capcom 2
1 (8.3%)
Street Fighter IV
1 (8.3%)
Tekken Tag Tournament
0 (0%)
Soul Calibur 2
4 (33.3%)
Powerstone
0 (0%)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
4 (33.3%)
Other
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Best Fighting Game Ever?  (Read 28633 times)

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
Best Fighting Game Ever?
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:03:56 PM »
I love all of these games for different reasons, but I have to say that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is the best because of the sheer amount of playable characters.

A close second for me has to be Powerstone because of the amount of fights my friends and I have had during that game.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
Re: Best Fighting Game Ever?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:12:22 PM »
I go with Soul Calibur 2 because I'm really good at it. I'm not into fighting games yet I've played so much Soul Calibur 2 on arcade because it's easy to get into. It shows because the few times I've played in the newest one, I'm still able to kick ass hands down.

There was a really cool feature in the arcade version which let you create a character, level it up and wage war against other player's characters to conquer territory for any of 4 factions. Once the world was taken over, it all restarts but the higher your character level is, the stronger he'll be as an opponent to other players.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »
Super Smash Bros. EVERYTHING, I don't care which version, they are all awesome.

We play full items, and we play timed not stock. Tournament players who select only static stages, play tiers, or play without items can all get fucked by Evan's Spiked Tenticales of Forced Intrusion.

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 01:30:49 PM »
I didn't really get much into brawl, although I really wanted to. My main problem with it was the controls, I was told that I need to try it with a gamecube controller, as it was, the classic controller was a pain to me.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »
Quote from: Tadanori Oyama
Evan's Spiked Tenticales of Forced Intrusion.

Ow.

(OOTS FTW)
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 02:00:05 PM »
Super Smash Bros. EVERYTHING, I don't care which version, they are all awesome.

We play full items, and we play timed not stock. Tournament players who select only static stages, play tiers, or play without items can all get fucked by Evan's Spiked Tenticales of Forced Intrusion.

I didn't like Smash Bros. until Brawl because I love Snake so much. This game was perfect in every way. Sonic, Snake, Pit, Meta Knight, etc.

I guess the only way it could have been better is if Mega Man could have joined in the fight. I would have creamed my jeans.

At any rate, while I do enjoy this game and the arguments it can cause between friends, I can't give it the title of best fighting game ever simply because all of the move-sets feel too limiting and while I love how large the environments are, sometimes I find them to be too large and this results in fights that last too long. Or you get that asshole that keeps leaping around the arena so you can't hit him.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 02:03:33 PM »
Also, I forgot to ask, has anyone played Destrega for the Playstation? That is one of the best fighting games ever, but the concept was never quite perfected. Combos were easy to pull off, the fighting was fast and frantic. All around, a great game.

One last fighting game to mention: Ehrgeiz. How can you go wrong with a fighting game that features Cloud from FFVII? Well, turns out you can go very wrong . . . but still! It was a cool game nonetheless.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 02:13:20 PM »
I only played Ehrgeiz once. It was in an arcade while I was in Vegas in, like 1998 or something, the details are foggy. I remember there were characters. I believe they where on the screen. And they did fight, after a fashion. So, yes, I suppose that would be considered a fighting game.

I honestly don't think of Smash Bros. as a fighting game because of all the crap that gets connected with fighting games (and since the games are very different from normal fighters). I just saw it on the list so I picked it.

I like nonconventional fighting games. Infact, my favorites are closer to brawlers. Anyone remember the massive 3D stage fighter BioFreaks? It was on N64, if you can beileve that. It had it all, gun arms, blade arms, bullets, distopian future, mutants, the ability to cut off the other player's arms (both of them) and them watch them bleed while they try to fight you with only their weak little kicks and you laugh and snip away their health little by little until finally they hit the floor, soaked through with their own blood. Good times.

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 05:10:04 PM »
How can you go wrong with a fighting game that features Cloud from FFVII?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXgXIIyIZ6o

Coming out this summer on PSP. (I'm actually not even interesting, but I'm glad its being made.)

wrotenbe

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • RAWRF
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »
I voted Other because the list lacks Street Fighter III: Third Strike, Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves or Last Blade 2

AmishNinja

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NaturalOne
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 07:16:53 PM »
At any rate, while I do enjoy this game and the arguments it can cause between friends, I can't give it the title of best fighting game ever simply because all of the move-sets feel too limiting and while I love how large the environments are, sometimes I find them to be too large and this results in fights that last too long.

Agreed. I consider Melee to be a superior game. Brawl is much slower and rewards defensive play (you can airdodge multiple times before landing), and therefore leads to a bit of a "poking game". Melee, on the other hand, rewards fast and hard-hitting aggressive play. There are advanced techniques that make the game a truly enjoyable experience to play at high levels (or watch if you aren't at that level).

Others may not agree with me, but I enjoy the game most with items turned off + 4 stock. Just to give you a taste of what Melee can be like at high level play, check out this video (hopefully you can handle the music haha):
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>
. It's not the best example, but it does show some pretty crazy button pressing if you know anything about the game. You can see how Roy does a lot of running around and faking in order to close distance and stop Fox from getting underneath him to juggle.

While it is a bit past its prime, I would confidently vote Smash Brothers: Melee as the best fighting game. Soul Calibur 3 and 4 are both decent in my book as well, although they too can degrade into a poking match. Matches are faster and more fun than Brawl despite this however. I can't vouch much for the Street Fighter series, MvC, DoA or most of the others.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:29:33 PM by AmishNinja »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 08:27:51 PM »

Zeernebooch

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 08:49:59 PM »
This thread reminds me i need to play more fighting games heh.
The last two weeks we have been having a Super Smash Bros torny at my school and and good god are by friends giant assholes when it comes to that game.
There is Brent who plays as Zelda and is beats peoples ass wile laughing hysterically.
Jaxon plays Snake and talks so much shit that we were surprised they did not shut down the thing. He always targets the person who first calls him a pussy for avoiding shit.
Josh gets physically violent when truly pissed off (thought he would kill Jaxon when when he lost)
Mich is fucking abysmal at the game and just dodged and Final Smashed his way into the semi finals.
Blade plays as Lucas and is one of the more tame members of the group. One of the best players in the torny as well.
Them if Luis ever plays he uses Kirby and loves to suck people in jump off the edge wile yelling somehting about Jihad, and then spit them off the screen just to be the optimal dick.
You really know who your friends are once you see the lengths they will go to to win in a video game.
Welcome to dying! I don't let it out! Welcome to dying! Look to the mirror it
shows what I am! Welcome to dying!This town must burn now! Welcome to dying!
Can't you see the dragon's seed bears in me, the one who's been before!
-- Welcome to Dying by Blind Guardian

AmishNinja

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NaturalOne
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 10:45:17 PM »
HURR FALCOPUNCH!!

Haha, that's great. Long-time smash player and I've never seen this before. Color me surprised. As funny as it is, there's really nothing wrong with competitive gaming. Some people nerd out about tabletop games while some choose to do it over video games. :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:48:39 PM by AmishNinja »

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »
 I never play fighting games any more but the one i remember the most has to be the WWF game where you could be boink the clown I don't know why I like that game so much. I guess it was running around with the big red hammer and hitting people with it....ahhh good times.

P.S I like *censored*

Yes I said it  I like *censored*!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 11:18:32 PM by Maze »
Kenders Rock