Author Topic: The Summer of Nostalgia, brought to you by 4th Edition  (Read 8764 times)

FuzzyDan

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile
The Summer of Nostalgia, brought to you by 4th Edition
« on: May 02, 2010, 05:14:49 AM »
So we are getting Dark Sun as a 4th edition campaign setting.  I'm sure that it's going to be awesome, but here's something that has not been as publicly announced:

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/253850000

If Ross does not eventually run and post this, I will be disappointed.
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
Re: The Summer of Nostalgia, brought to you by 4th Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:39:08 AM »
It has a page count of 160!  I do not believe that it is going to be a simple reworking of the original module. 

It might not have the same tone as the original though.  It is listed to be for 10 - 22nd level.  The original was more like 10th ... bring new character from 1st level to 10th ...  repeat as necessary.   I think a lot of the lethalness of the original will be different.  Maybe more of a focus on losing surges than immediate death/disintegration/petrification ...

I wonder if "modular design" and "standalone adventures" will mean it has aspects of dungeon delve.

Can't wait for it to come out.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 01:38:10 PM »
I don't think they will be able to capture the essence of the original with 4E.

But I guess we'll shall just wait and see.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 01:53:18 PM »
the original was "hahaha you did something now you die"

srsly

I'll probably run at least one shot of the remake though.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
"Tomb of Horrors, for character level 1-30. Because the Sphere of Annihilation doesn't give a fuck what level you are."

New Start

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:58:07 PM »
"Tomb of Horrors, for character level 1-30. Because the Sphere of Annihilation doesn't give a fuck what level you are."

Actually, the sphere is no longer a insta kill. It'd probably kill a low level PC, but any trap at that level would probably kill a low level PC.

Totems aren't "pack licenses," they're not handed out by the National Registry of Uratha Pack Services as soon as you complete Form 12458-B, Petition for the Formation of a Pack (Tribes of the Moon and Unaffiliated). - Kordeth

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 01:35:53 AM »

Actually, the sphere is no longer a insta kill. It'd probably kill a low level PC, but any trap at that level would probably kill a low level PC.

I know, that was one of the design changes in 4th Edition: removal of "save or die" powers and effects. Just makin' a joke.

I'm not planning to buy the Tomb of Horrors remake. It's never really interested me or fit my style of play.

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:40:13 AM »

Sphere of Annihilation
no longer an insta kill

Someone somewhere is doing it wrong. It's a sphere of annihilation. A magical disintegrating black hole of doom. It shouldn't even be Save or Die, it should be Touch it and Die. Not that I am in favor of rampant player killing, but if the Sphere of Annihilation can't kill you outright what can?

I think ending all the Save or Die effects is just a setup for a sourcebook. Later this year they'll release the Tome of Mortality, with a whole bunch of new spells, creatures, and items that have save-or-die powers. There will even be new paths for the core classes, such as the "Master of Disintegration" wizard path, or the "Headchopper" fighter path.

Shortly following that will be the Book of RogueFuckery, which makes everything immune to sneak attacks, poison, and criticals.

Tom Church

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 01:07:14 PM »
Someone somewhere is doing it wrong. It's a sphere of annihilation. A magical disintegrating black hole of doom. It shouldn't even be Save or Die, it should be Touch it and Die. Not that I am in favor of rampant player killing, but if the Sphere of Annihilation can't kill you outright what can?

I agree.  It's called the Sphere of Annihilation, not the Sphere of the Very Real Possibility That Somebody Could Die.

In a game where characters can become powerful enough to take on Gods, it's nice to always have something that can gank them instantly.  Maintains the clarity that they are never invincible.  Not really.
"The upper class keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes.  The middle class pays all of the taxes and does all of the work.  The poor are there just to scare the shit out of the middle class.  Keep them showing up at those 'jobs'."  George Carlin

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 01:36:28 PM »
DARK SUUUUUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!

I spent an hour the other night planning what I wanted to be . . . giddy with anticipation.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 01:52:32 PM »
I don't see the Sphere of Annihilation, as it exists in the "classic" sense, as anything besides a GM fiat excuse tool. "You touch it, your destoryed" isn't much of a game mechanic. I see the use of it in threatening characters and the only reason it might be a more effective threat than whatever deus ex the GM wants to throw together it because of its history.

New Start

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 06:16:42 PM »
Not that I am in favor of rampant player killing, but if the Sphere of Annihilation can't kill you outright what can?

Just because the Sphere no longer a insta kills you, does not mean it won't kill you. The Sphere does like an average 30 damage per hit, plus an ongoing 15. And if your dropped to 0 by the Sphere, your dead AND can't be raised. Which at epic level is fucking scary.

So don't take the 'no insta kill' thing as a sign of weakness. Because if you don't take the Sphere seriously, It Will Kill You!  8)
Totems aren't "pack licenses," they're not handed out by the National Registry of Uratha Pack Services as soon as you complete Form 12458-B, Petition for the Formation of a Pack (Tribes of the Moon and Unaffiliated). - Kordeth

Dogfish

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »
Not that I am in favor of rampant player killing, but if the Sphere of Annihilation can't kill you outright what can?

Just because the Sphere no longer a insta kills you, does not mean it won't kill you. The Sphere does like an average 30 damage per hit, plus an ongoing 15. And if your dropped to 0 by the Sphere, your dead AND can't be raised. Which at epic level is fucking scary.

So don't take the 'no insta kill' thing as a sign of weakness. Because if you don't take the Sphere seriously, It Will Kill You!  8)

It's still an unnecessary cop-out.