Author Topic: serenity rpg help  (Read 6151 times)

sk8bum

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
serenity rpg help
« on: May 10, 2010, 11:07:55 PM »
hello everybody. im a newbie when it comes to rpgs but i got invited to a serenity rpg sessions at a coworkers house. he asked that if we can try and roll up some characters before we get there to save some time. so i went ahead and got the book and tried my hand at making a character. what i need help is how many skills do i choose from? and how do i come up with how many dice to place with each skill. he said we are playing at greenhorn level if that helps. here is my current stats i have:
strength: d10     agility: d6      alertness: d4     intelligence: d6       willpower: d6       
current assets: fighting type (major) , highly educated (minor), sharp sense (sight/minor)
current complications: deadly enemy (minor), hooked (minor)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Re: serenity rpg help
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 12:29:10 AM »
I think I have the sourcebook, I'll give it a look and let you know what advice I might have.  Good to see you might be getting into RPGs...

EDIT:  Looks like you get 62 (20 + your traits and attributes amount (42)).  As far as picking skills, what I usually do is come up with my character concept and figure out who they are, then assign skills.  So I guess the question is, what do you see your character as being like?  It doesn't need to be too detailed, just a feel for it.  It should then be a fairly logical step to pick skills from there.  Let me know if you have any other questions and I can take a look to see if I can answer them (I haven't played the game though).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 12:49:17 AM by Mckma »

sk8bum

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 01:40:43 PM »
well a question i have is how many skills can i have? and how do i know what dice i should use for each one? each of the pregens have a different dice for each skill.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 02:03:38 PM »
You can (as far as I can tell) in theory have as many skills as you want.  You "buy" dice with the points (see the table on 34).  Basically you can get up to a d6 in a broad skill, and then can specialize in subdivision.  Looks like it might be best to pick about 10-12 skills, look at the table on page 56 and decide how "good" your character is.  You then assign your "points" to buy dice (pg. 34), and if you have left over/not enough, you can shuffle them around, add/drops skills, etc.  You probably definitely want to take some in attack of some sort, perception of some sense, and some type of defensive maneuver as those are pretty much universally useful.  If you are looking for more specific help, feel free to let me know what you want your character to be able to do and I can help you pick out skills/assign points.

Sorry if that's a bit confusing/didn't answer your question.  Another option that may work better is talk to the person who will be running the game and see if you could potentially show up a little early to talk over your character with him/her.  If you have everything you already have as well as most of your skills picked (not necessarily with the die types assigned), the GM could probably help let you know what may or may not be useful (especially because they will be running the game).  For example, certain skills may just not come up depending on what exactly characters are doing.

Bronnen

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 12:10:18 AM »
Ugh, I love Joss Whedon, I love firefly and Serenity, but the Serenity RP should never have been made.  It's clunky, not very well written, and the rules are confusing, not to mention it does no justice to the setting.

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 09:26:12 AM »
Ugh, I love Joss Whedon, I love firefly and Serenity, but the Serenity RP should never have been made.  It's clunky, not very well written, and the rules are confusing, not to mention it does no justice to the setting.

What a piece of gosa. :(

When I looked over it, I saw a clusterfuck of rules with no eye towards creating a cinematic feel or capturing the attitude of the show. It didn't even seem to be a good sourcebook. I suggest picking up ORE or Savage Worlds, and running Serenity with that. It's not like there's anything crazy that needs to be added mechanic-wise. They're just normal people piloting things, talking to people, and shooting guns. The charm is all in the setting.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 02:45:05 PM »
Firefly should have never been canceled.

That's the real shame.