Author Topic: Character Creation...  (Read 125347 times)

Arje

• Play by Post Dude. Malcontent.
  • Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
Character Creation...
« on: May 15, 2010, 02:00:52 AM »
Lets get this started. Some of you are farther ahead then others.

When your characters are complete and approved, then we will move each of them to their own separate threads.
My new goal in life is to play D&D with Judi Dench

Bronnen

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Character Creation...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 02:11:51 AM »
Before I can finish my character, the pdf tells me to give my third phase out to the others, so that they can do the last two.

The Story

Title: Hell Hath No Fury

Aspect: Don't Give in!

Summary:

Morded hunted down the Hellion that slaughtered the priests of the old faith who took him in, killing it only to discover a world full of the supernatural. In order to combat what he saw as unnatural, he swore an oath to the old gods, giving them his soul in exchange for the power to fight all manner of fell beasts and sorcerers. While he hates all things supernatural, he is always drawn to them, and constantly resists the temptation to give in to what he could use against them.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 02:50:32 AM »
Hurray for the third phase! Bouncing around my beginning info as well.

Character: Peter Barak

Template: Focused Practitioner

High Concept: Out of Control Magical Engine

Trouble: Balanced on the Razor's Edge of Neutrality

Aspects:
Phase 1- Under-developed asset.
Phase 2- You wouldn't like me when I'm unhappy.
Phase 3- ...

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 11:36:53 AM »
I did some work on the phases and aspects.  I am starting to rethink all the cat burglary-type skills, not sure where they would fit in.  Maybe pickpocket type abilities, but not really the second story stuff.  Also, maybe I need to spend some refresh points on the "unaging" ability, but not sure where that would come in.

Thaddeus "Lucky" Barlow

High Concept: Lucky Rogue with a Heart of Gold ... Silver.

Template: Minor Talent

Aspects:
Champion of the Underdog.
Graveyards are Filled with my Dead.
"No Balls, No Blue Chips".
Stories Should Have Happy Endings.
Riverboat Gambler, both literally and figuratively.

Trouble:
Live long enough and you will owe everyone something
Sucker for a Sob Story

Phases:
Where did you come from? - "No Balls, No Blue Chips"
Born in 1832 in Vicksburg Mississippi, the son of a gambler ( Garland Barlow ) and saloon owner ( Flora Wells ).  My father was lynched in 1835 by a vigilante group in Vicksburg and my mother ( and me ) run out of town on rails.  We settled with her running a riverboat saloon and me learning the ways of the river.
By 1858, I had been living the life of a riverboat gambler since my mid teens, first as an assistant/straight man for some of the established sharps and then on my own.  I was a natural, but a little to inclined to "force" the issue.  This ended up with me caught cheating at poker.  I was beaten almost to death and thrown overboard.  I awoke on the shore badly damaged but surprisingly still alive.  I healed up nicely without any scars from the terrible beating.  I continued in my chosen profession, but at this point I started getting strong feelings about the way a contest/decision could turn out.  It was almost like visualizing scales with both choices being weighed against each other.  The most likeliest would seem heavier.  These feelings turned out to be pretty accurate, but with lady luck always getting her say.  As I grew older, I noticed I never seemed to look or feel older from this point in my life.

What Shaped You? - Graveyards Are Filled With My Dead
Abby was a strong woman, able to handle life on the ship and with me.  Smart, quick-witted and a biting sense of humor, she was my true love.  When she was needed for a con, she could handle her part with the best.  She always seemed to deal with any situation.  Failing her was the great tragedy of my life.  I was in process of reeling in a big mark, worth a lot of money, when the boiler exploded.  I kept with the mark getting him to safety, knowing Abby could take care of herself and not wanting to lose the money even during such a disaster.  Turned out I had taken the wrong bet and Abby perished.  Devastated, I started traveling ... and aging.  

What was your first adventure? - Stories Should Have Happy Endings
After about 10 years abroad and much internal reflection, I decided to return to the River and I stopped aging again.  I returned to my lifestyle, but not with the vigor I had previously experienced.  Something was missing.  The thrill was gone.  It was just a job, a living.
Then I met Christina.  The first beautiful soul I met since Abby.  Her husband was also on the Riverboat "circuit" and was an ass. I started seeing her whenever I was able to pass through Natchez or when I could catch her riding a boat with her husband.  We became very close friends and I learned some of her history.  I am still not sure how she got hooked in by such a despicable man.  I learned of the abuse she suffered at his hands and decided to do something.  Not for any potential gain for me, but because it was the right thing to do.  She deserved better.  
I was able to lure him into what looked like a very profitable situation with me as a partner, of course if I did not play my part correctly then things could go very badly.  But why would I double cross him, we barely knew each other and would make out like bandits afterwards.  Needless to say he did not live past this mistake.  You don't con some people and get away with it.  I am not sure if Christina ever suspected my handiwork in her husband's death or if she was just too pleased to ask any questions.  But, after her mourning ( quickly ), we were married and I settled down.  I had to use some disguise abilities to make it look like I was aging at least a little, but we had a very happy life together.

Whose path have you crossed? - Champion of the underdog/Sucker for a Sob Story

10 refresh, 35 skill

Supernatural Power:
( -1 ) supernatural sense -  sense the odds

Mortal Stunts:
( -1 ) acrobat
( -1 ) catburglar
( -1 ) I know just the guy
( -1 ) read the surface

Skills: 3 Great, 3 Good, 3 Fair, 8 Average (17 total skills)

**** Empathy
**** Contacts
**** Deceit

*** Athletics
*** Burglary
*** Rapport

** Stealth
** Presence
** Alertness

* Investigation
* Performance
* Scholarship
* Guns
* Fists
* Resources
* Discipline
* Intimidation

Family events:

born 1832
1st marriage 1865  ( Abigail "Abby" Robinson d. 1868 ( boiler explosion ) )- St Louis
2nd marriage 1880  ( Christina Reeves d.1907 ) 3 kids - Natchez
3rd marriage 1917  ( Nora Greer d. 1919 ( influenza )) - Memphis
4th marriage 1924  ( Hope Dalton d. 1932 ) -- New Orleans

Character Concept:
Born in 1832 in Vicksburg Miss., he made a living as a riverboat gambler ( and when out of stake money, whatever he had to do.  cat burglary, confidence scams ... ).  He was caught cheating in a poker game, got the shit kicked out of him and thrown overboard to die.  He washed up on the shore and healed normally, but with no scarring.  From this point on he did not age.  He also slowly discovered the ability to "sense the odds" in situations.  This is a great skill for a gambler.  Unfortunately, he will go sometimes against this sense, even though he know the odds are bad, and bet the longshot or the good story or his favorite.  By following his heart instead of his mind, he usually loses.  And when he loses, he loses big.

Over the years, he has found his ability to not age is tied to being close to the Mississippi River.  He left for New York after the War ( that one in the 1860's ), and found after a couple of years that he was aging normally.  When he returned to the Delta, he stopped aging again.  Since that he has not left for any extended periods.

His troubles would be gambling and backing the long odds.  This would usually manifest in a weakness for a good story that will enlist his help, even though the task is doomed to fail.  As many gamblers do, he wealth fluctuates between rich and broke with dramatic frequency, even if he could have used his ability to make a lot of safe money.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:43:27 AM by ristarr »

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »
Just a concept...

Rudolph Foreman

Template: Sorcerer

High Concept: Magical Vagabond

Trouble: A Lust for Greater Power

(Will refine with more aspects and skill later)

Arje

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 01:18:42 PM »
My high concept: Wizard of Means

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 01:29:02 PM »
I think we should all, kind of "Call" one person to do the fourth phase, and one person to do the fifth.
A kind of turn based dibsing.

I'll pick someone to do a fourth phase of, and the person I choose will choose someone else, who didn't do the fourth. Does that sound good with everyone else?

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 01:40:42 PM »
Rough Draft

NAME: Jack B. Nimble

High Concept Aspect: Fun in the Sun Mage

Trouble: In love with Summer

1. Growing up normal
2. The choice between magic or mundane
3. Love is a hurricane
4 ?
5 ?

Arje

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 01:46:38 PM »
I think we should all, kind of "Call" one person to do the fourth phase, and one person to do the fifth.
A kind of turn based dibsing.

I'll pick someone to do a fourth phase of, and the person I choose will choose someone else, who didn't do the fourth. Does that sound good with everyone else?

I like it.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 03:53:13 PM »
I'll start off by.. dibsing.... Thaddeus!

Now, why would Mordred be seen with a gambler....

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 11:37:34 PM »
Almost all done character Sheet!

Just need my stress and skills, as well as two powers or stunts.

Thaddeus! Phase four of yours. Got one

Met a man named Mordred, his car was broken down just outside the city limits. I was going to walk on by, but I noticed some wounds on his flesh, they looked like claw marks. I asked him what had happened, and he was reluctant to tell me at first, but after I brought him to a bar, he began to open up and tell me about his story. That's when the shit really started hitting the fan. Seems Mordred's got a few enemies, human and.... other. ((Didn't know if he'd been exposed to the supernatural yet so..)) There were these things he called Shen, not quite sure what exactly they were, but they looked like weird demon monkeys. At about 3 in the morning, most of the patrons in the bar just vanished, and there was this strange sound coming from outside. It disappeared after a few minutes, but then one of these things went flying through the window. Mordred took up a spear that he was carrying, strangely I didn't notice it until then) and just stabbed it. I looked outside and was able to see a whole host of them, probably 15 or more. Mordred pushed me outside, and that was the last I heard of him, until lately that is. I just thought he'd died, but I've been hearing stories, about a tall Norwegian fellow patrolling the alleys. Might be him.

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 11:46:16 PM »
Further work on concept:

NAME: Jack B. Nimble
 High Concept Aspect: The Seelie Mage
Trouble: In love with Summer
1. Growing up normal
   Jack grew up in a normal household. His parents worked normal jobs making a middle class income. He got along with his classmates and had decent grades. He played sports, but wasn't a member of the cool crowd. He had good friends, namely Tom, Little Joe, and Dig. They  did the kind of crazy crap that they would talk about after becoming adults. He took his girlfriend, May Toti to the prom, but didn't get laid and ended up getting drunk with his friends. He worked an after school job to buy a car. He scouted colleges with his parents and did well enough on his SAT to get into a National University. A week into his first semester and his pleasant, comfortable life went to hell. <okay>

2. The choice between magic or mundane or the lack thereof.
   Apparent, the supernatural is real and its kicking Jack's ass. Jack didn't ask for some mystical spark inside him to suddenly manifest itself. He was happy with the way things were. Maybe some people would like strangers suddenly walking up to them, talking crazy shit, but Jack wasn't one of them. Its hard to believe even those people would be keen to have monsters out of folklore and B movies showing up to either try and kill them or bug them to death to do some choir. Most annoying was finding out the professor he was relying on was a wizard. Professor Tom Garner was teaching science for christsake and was an agnostic, how could he believe in this crap. He was the most logical, doubting tom in the whole school. Jack was pull kicking and screaming into the supernatural world. He realized even as these members of the White Council told him he could go back to his old life that they were full of crap. Once his eyes were open there was no going back. He wasn't the type to live a lie or to put his friends or family in danger from trouble they couldn't even see or believe in. <clean up>

3. Love is a hurricane.
   Time past swiftly, Jack proved to be a capable if rebellious student. He might have been asked to become a Warden, if not for the for mention tendency to question if not outright ignore or subvert his superiors's instructions. He had come to enjoy going on long hikes on nature trails. It was a way for him to relax. It was on one of these walks that he happened across a girl being threaten by some freaky looking types, something like goblins. He "saved" the young woman and she seemed very grateful, or at least amused. After that point he kept running into this girl when he went on his hikes. He got to know her, although he had known she was "different" from the start, she ended up telling him she was a Seelie, a Summer Lady, Lilly? Lets just skip ahead to the good part and say, Jack ended up falling in love with her. The feelings of a fae are fickle at best, but whatever she thought it didn't stop her from gifting (binding) him with her favor.  The White Council didn't take well to this and seem to be keeping Jack at arms length. Jack is flush with emotions and won't hear anyone telling him, he might be being used as a pawn for the Summer Court. <needs work>

2 Superb, 2 Great, 2 Good, 3 Fair, 5 Average
(14 total skills)

Conviction - Discipline
   Endurance - Lore
      Alertness - Athletics
         Rapport - Deceit - fists
            Might - Contacts - Resources - Driving - Empathy

supernatural powers
Evocation
Thaumaturgy
The Sight
Soulgaze
Wizard’s Constitution
Sponsored Magic (Summer Court)

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 11:50:27 PM »
Riyo, what's your template?

Arje

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 12:03:18 AM »
It looks like wizard with the addition of  sponsered magic.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 12:06:26 AM »
There's sorcerer too though.