Author Topic: Character Creation...  (Read 125471 times)

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Character Creation...
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 11:13:11 AM »

It seems most of the magicy characters are double superb conviction/discipline builds....and I understand the temptation....But it should fit with the concept. With the biker backstory I would expect fists or endurance to be higher? Or Drive! Drive isn't even on your list! But with your listed trouble, and everything else mentioned, I wouldn't expect your discipline to be so high.

I had at first thought to drop Thaumaturgy or take a focused ritual (biomancy) as most of the uses of Thaumaturgy didn't fit my concept, but I wasn't sure if we were going to have any other wizards, so I didn't want to gimp the group. I also don't mind lowering Discipline as my character is indifferent to collateral damage, but I the player was a little worried about laying waste to parts of the city. :P

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 11:17:03 AM »
Don't worry about it. My character will literally step in the way of spells in order to stop innocent people from being harmed. That's why the Torc gives him protection from the supernatural.

Guns, knives, sharp sticks, rusty nails, however, will kill him.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2010, 02:11:45 PM »
Don't worry about it. My character will literally step in the way of spells in order to stop innocent people from being harmed. That's why the Torc gives him protection from the supernatural.

I'll be taking advantage of that then. Way I envision my character is massive conviction and virtually nonexistant discipline, not even sure how to make his powers work. Since he can't properly control his own magic he fears those who can.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 02:50:24 PM »
I'm thinking of upping the toughness to Immune, as because it only protects against one thing, it gets a +8 against the refresh, bringing the total cost of it from -10 to -2. That being said, anyone with a rusty spoon will be able to stab him to death, or ropes, or sticks.... or a lawn dart....

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »
You mean... like any other person in the world might be? It's not creating a weakness, it's giving you a strength. Stop complaining and hold still so I can use you as a shield against fireballs.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2010, 02:59:55 PM »
Lol. He might be able to protect you guys against magic, but only magic that affects his physical body.

Yeah, so Immune it is then. Just watch, one of the wizards we face will be smart enough and just speed up a damn tree to hit me in the face.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2010, 03:10:56 PM »
Well, I'd still be more or less safe because the tree does have to get through you first.

Arje

• Play by Post Dude. Malcontent.
  • Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2010, 03:48:32 PM »
And I'm making a big bad spirit wizard. so I can throw up some shields as required.
My new goal in life is to play D&D with Judi Dench

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010, 03:53:47 PM »
I've settled on a geomancer for my Channeling for my Focus Practitioner because I think raging earth is well suited to mass destruction and sudden emotional erruption. And because it gives me the eventual option of producing electric discharges via magnetics, should my character figure out how to do that. Not sure about the Ritual side of things at the moment.

My other abilities will enhance my geomancy greatly while making it more difficult to use.

Arje

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Augustine Dyers
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2010, 04:21:18 PM »
AUGUSTINE DYERS
High Concept: Wizard with Means
Template: Wizard
Aspects: Wizard with Means, Unfocused Attention, American CEO, Responsibility to his City, Magic isn't the only way to get things done.

Trouble:  Unfocused Attention
Between his magical studies, his duities as a red sash senior member of the wizards council(he was breifly considered for a purple sash, but lost out in the final round.) , his duties as CEO of a large multinational, and his social responsibilities, his attention his frayed, and he often misses things he's specifically looking for.

Phases:
Where did you come from? American CEO
Born in St. Louis in the 1832, Dyers has watched over this region for a long time. For the most part the only supernatural threats were those of the fae court and some native american medicine men. It's not until recently that the vampires have begun moving into town. Dyers took advantage of the burgeoning importance of the Gateway city as it grew and developed, starting the Dyers Corporation, a large multinational corporation which has evolved and developed over the years. It's second only to AB in terms of local philantrhopic work, and a mainstay of STL business and social culture. The fiction of maintaining control is getting harder and harder to maintain as technology catches up to his changing identitys through the Dyer "family"

What Shaped You? Responsibility to his city.
No matter what it is, the flood of 1993, the growing influence of the Vampire Clans, the recession, the gentrification of the city, etc, Dyers wants to keep this city alive and kicking. Corruption, crime, murder, not to mention supernatural threats are all threating to consume his home, and often times Dyer is the only thing standing in their way.

What was your first adventure? Story Title (Coprorate takeover) Aspect (Magic isn't the only way to get things done)
When the Red Clan first tried to move into town some 50 years ago, Dyers started buying up their assets out from directly under them, no mattter what or where they were. The message was clear, "You are not welcome here" But that kind of action is more difficult now, still Dyer's leaned his lesson...there are multiple tools to fight something, while it may be appealing to dismantle something magically, there are always other options.

Whose path have you crossed?

10 refresh, 35 skill

Supernatural Power:
Evocation [–3] (page 180)
Thaumaturgy [–3] (page 181)
The Sight [–1] (page 174)
Soulgaze [–0] (page 174); discounted due
to the Sight.
Wizard’s Constitution [–0] (page 170)
Refinement 2 [-2]

Mortal Stunts:
Skills:
2 Superb, 2 Great, 2 Good, 3 Fair, 5 Average
(14 total skills
*****Resources
*****Discipline
****Lore
****Presence
***Conviction
***Rapport
**Contacts
**Alertness
**Scholorship
*Athletics
*Endurance
*Craftsmenship
*Weapons
*Intimidation

Family events:

Evocation Familiarity: [Spirit, Air, Water ]
Specilizations: Evocation [ +2 Power (Spirit) +1 Control (Spirit)] Thaumaturge [Complexity]
Focus Items: CaneWand (tm) +2 Offensive Power  +1 Offensive Control (Spirit) [3 Slot]
Enchanted Items: 2 Items
Power Suit
Twice per Session Spirit (force) block vs Physical attacks (+7 Epic) [Activated by fixing  his tie*] [5 slot]

Sappire Ring
Once per session Weapon:4 (Air) attack [1 slot]

Rote Spells
"Non evidens"- Spirit Evocation Defensive Block (Veil) (+4) lasts 2 exchanges.
"Phasmatis Compes" Spirit Evocation Manuever Lasts 3 exchanges Places "Bound hands and feet" on the target
"Thoratum" Spirit Evocation Defensive block (Armor 2) lasts 2 exchanges.
"Vis summus" Spirit evocation attack Weapon 7 vs 1 person

Arje

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »
I'll post a lot on dyers corporation later. It exists somewhat separately of him, but he still controls almost all of it's stock.

I'm still working on city stuff, but i thought i post my character so phase 4 and phase 5 can we worked on in the meantime, and it helps you guys out with knowing how the group is rounded out.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2010, 05:19:19 PM »
Yeah, you do need to take lawbreaker. Direct from the PDF

What Happens When You Break the Laws
In game terms, whenever your character crosses the line for the first time—breaking a Law that he has not broken before—he must immediately take a new Lawbreaker ability.

Lawbreaker [-Varies]
Musts: This ability must be taken immediately upon breaking one of the Laws of Magic (page 232). You must specify the Law broken at the time you take the ability. This ability must be taken separately for each Law of Magic broken—noted like so: Lawbreaker (First), Lawbreaker (Fourth), etc

You can take inhuman speed, doesn't say anything against it.

'Kay.

I'll just remove Sight. It doesn't necessarily fit with my concept anyways. 

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 05:41:12 PM »
Thaddeus! Phase four of yours. Got one

Met a man named Mordred, his car was broken down just outside the city limits. I was going to walk on by, but I noticed some wounds on his flesh, they looked like claw marks. I asked him what had happened, and he was reluctant to tell me at first, but after I brought him to a bar, he began to open up and tell me about his story. That's when the shit really started hitting the fan. Seems Mordred's got a few enemies, human and.... other. ((Didn't know if he'd been exposed to the supernatural yet so..)) There were these things he called Shen, not quite sure what exactly they were, but they looked like weird demon monkeys. At about 3 in the morning, most of the patrons in the bar just vanished, and there was this strange sound coming from outside. It disappeared after a few minutes, but then one of these things went flying through the window. Mordred took up a spear that he was carrying, strangely I didn't notice it until then) and just stabbed it. I looked outside and was able to see a whole host of them, probably 15 or more. Mordred pushed me outside, and that was the last I heard of him, until lately that is. I just thought he'd died, but I've been hearing stories, about a tall Norwegian fellow patrolling the alleys. Might be him.

Ristarr, going by the one at a time rule, gets to pick the next person to intergrate his character into their phase four, and it'll continue going until someone integrates their character into mine, then I'll pick a new person to go into phase five. This way everyone's happy!

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2010, 06:24:38 PM »
How many slots do you get for magical items?

Are they separated by the two types of magic?

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2010, 06:27:52 PM »
The different spellcrafts you take tell you what slots you can get.