Author Topic: 4th Edition: Player's Strategy Guide  (Read 8507 times)

FuzzyDan

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile
4th Edition: Player's Strategy Guide
« on: May 17, 2010, 09:46:59 PM »
Anyone else pick this up?  I'm a couple chapters in and I think it's a good book to have on hand when new players keep asking questions about how to build characters.
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: 4th Edition: Player's Strategy Guide
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:03:11 PM »
Strategy guide... to a tabletop RPG?

Does it help you calculate your aggro?

Just kidding. Is it actually useful?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:05:10 PM by Kroack »

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:05:20 PM »
No, it tells you about the super-secret unlocks, cheat codes, and achievements.

It also tells you how to build the most powerful game-breaking characters ever!

FuzzyDan

• Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:35:10 PM »
It's essentially a thinner DMG for players.  From how to identify a GM that won't match your style, to how to select powers/skills/feats that don't counteract your ideas of the character for efficiency.  And yes, there are sections on how to do some silly things (How to build the fastest character).
If you guys really want I can give a full-blow review once I'm done, hopefully something shiny does not come along to distract me.  I was just more curious if anyone else braved these waters.
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 12:47:11 AM »

Does it also let you play as a were human?

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 12:50:58 AM »

Does it also let you play as a were human?
Only if you have mutations and quest through the were-storm...

(Oh Synnibarr)

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 10:04:08 AM »
WHAT IS A WERE-STORM?

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »
It's a storm that's half thunderstorm and half insecure little girl.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 03:29:58 PM »
A werestorm , also known as a lycanthrope (from the Greek λυκάνθρωπος: λύκος, lukos, "wolf", and άνθρωπος, anthrōpos, storm), is a mythological or folkloric storm with the ability to shapeshift into a wolf or an anthropomorphic wolf-like creature, either purposely, by being bitten or scratched by another werestorm, or after being placed under a curse. This transformation is often associated with the appearance of the full moon, as popularly noted by the medieval chronicler Gervase of Tilbury, and perhaps in earlier times among the ancient Greeks through the writings of Petronius.

Werestorms are often attributed super-human strength and senses, far beyond those of both wolves or men. The werestorm is generally held as a European character, although its lore spread through the world in later times. Shape-shifters, similar to werestorms, are common in tales from all over the world, most notably amongst the Native Americans, though most of them involve animal forms other than storms.
Werestorms are a frequent subject of modern fictional books, although fictional werestorms have been attributed traits distinct from those of original folklore, most notably vulnerability to silver bullets. Werestorms continue to endure in modern culture and fiction, with books, films and television shows cementing the werestorm's stance as a dominant figure in horror.

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 04:23:06 PM »
I prefer my version.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 07:18:11 PM »
A werestorm , also known as a lycanthrope (from the Greek λυκάνθρωπος: λύκος, lukos, "wolf", and άνθρωπος, anthrōpos, storm), is a mythological or folkloric storm with the ability to shapeshift into a wolf or an anthropomorphic wolf-like creature, either purposely, by being bitten or scratched by another werestorm, or after being placed under a curse. This transformation is often associated with the appearance of the full moon, as popularly noted by the medieval chronicler Gervase of Tilbury, and perhaps in earlier times among the ancient Greeks through the writings of Petronius.

Werestorms are often attributed super-human strength and senses, far beyond those of both wolves or men. The werestorm is generally held as a European character, although its lore spread through the world in later times. Shape-shifters, similar to werestorms, are common in tales from all over the world, most notably amongst the Native Americans, though most of them involve animal forms other than storms.
Werestorms are a frequent subject of modern fictional books, although fictional werestorms have been attributed traits distinct from those of original folklore, most notably vulnerability to silver bullets. Werestorms continue to endure in modern culture and fiction, with books, films and television shows cementing the werestorm's stance as a dominant figure in horror.

And knowing is half the battle!

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 12:22:11 AM »
I was bored and in my campus bookstore and saw this.  I gave it a flip-through and it actually seemed to have a lot of really good information.  Unfortunately, I didn't get the feeling that people would be really interested in A. buying it, or B. reading it.  It also seemed that a good group and GM could teach a player all the stuff (though it might not be a bad buy between a group of 5 or 6 people who wanted to start playing and had no idea how)...