Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 428987 times)

Robot Master

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • "Wu Tang gets they cookie."
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2010, 10:48:21 PM »
Well the character is from Laeso but worked on his father's fishing vessel, which took him up to Gothenberg where they got into seeing Indian's games. I'm American, but I got the idea of including my character as a fan of Frolunda for a few reasons:

1. The character's background requires him to be from that region.
2. Hockey is my favorite sport.
3. I knew this guy from an old internet game I used to play that used to talk so much mad trash about the NHL here in America. In fact, he was a definite Swedish patriot. He used to talk about how the Swedish military, hockey, etc were awesome and everything else was crap. He spoke the most about the Frolunda Indians. I've seen a few feeds over the internet of Eliteserien and they're pretty good...so I thought "what the hell, why not?".

It worked out pretty well. It's good "fleshing out" of the character.
Thanos: "I am going to sacrifice the Earth to gain the love of Death"
Me: (slowly raise eyebrow) "Destroy the Earth? That would be...illogical"
Vortex: "Yes...that...would be...highly...illogical."
Thanos: "Your Star Trek references bore me."

Strangelet

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 30, 2010, 11:27:41 PM »
Well, yeah, that's quite a common thing swedes do. I mean, talking about our stuff as the best ever and looking down on others' stuff, especially yours, all the while talking about how we're so enlightened for respecting other cultures. So yeah.  :D

Interesting choice to come from an island in the middle of nowhere. One thing though, be a bit careful with who you call patriotic, because even though we may seem very proud of our nation just like americans are, we generally don't call that patriotism. Instead patriotism is a controversial word currently owned by national conservative wingnuts.

Robot Master

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 30, 2010, 11:33:15 PM »
Oooo okay, sorry about that I'll keep that in mind for the future. I couldn't think of a better word at the time.

Well, the choice of Laeso wasn't exactly an intellectual one. The character is the child of Sif, and the Marvel wikipedia listed Sif's birthplace as the island of Laeso.

Strangelet

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 30, 2010, 11:39:49 PM »
A question though: I actually also had a mail friend many years ago, I think it must have been around 98, that I talked a lot to about various cock-measuring subjects. And he was from Arizona, just like you. This wasn't Age of Empires, was it?  ;D

EDIT:

It can't be us though, on second thought, since I can't have talked about sports any back then before I got any interest at all. Plus, it'd be quite unsettling to bump in to him just like that, since he stopped mailing to me after throwing a religious moral tantrum over my sexuality.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 11:46:53 PM by Strangelet »

Robot Master

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 30, 2010, 11:44:02 PM »
Steve?!?!?!?!

Just kidding, no sorry man that definitely wasn't me.

Fizban

• View Profile
    • Ministry of Game
« Reply #215 on: December 15, 2010, 08:48:29 PM »
I stumbled across the New World actual plays some time ago, and just sort of rediscovered the site when I was looking for some more actual plays to listen to on my 40 minute walk to the train station to commute another hour to work each day.  I dowloaded a couple of RPPR episodes, and found the discussions interesting and relevant (although I've got to say the disorganisation of the flow of conversation can make me lose track sometimes).

I turn 31 tomorrow.  Been roleplaying for 21 years, ever since a friend at primary school got given the D&D black box for a present, and then photocopied another friend's Monstrous Compendium.  I ran a 2E D&D campaign for the last three years of high school, before joining the roleplaying society at my university, where I ran AD&D, Mage, Vampire, and a Superheroes game of my own devising (ripped off a system called Kill Puppies For Satan), as well as a few con games in my time (first one I ever ran was a Matrix prequel just after the Matrix came out, using Mage rules).

After leaving university, I got a job working for a mission agency, and had to move states to Queensland (oh, I'm Australian btw) and there got involved in a gaming group where I ran some 3E D&D, Shadowrun, Mage, and also got into Warhammer 40k.  Then some guy I met got me into the card game Shadowfist, as well as Feng Shui, the roleplaying game based on it.  Then my car got stolen - with my 40k armies inside.  But I was frustrated with GW and their crappy rules support anyway, so I put my energies into Shadowfist instead.

Then I moved back to Sydney to follow a political job opportunity (which went belly up), but I found some people to teach Shadowfist to, ran some D&D, Mage and Feng Shui games, and went back to running games at the gaming convention my university roleplaying group runs.  I also started a gaming club called Ministry of Game this year, which exists to help gamers in my local area meet and to encourage more people to run games, as there seems to be a dearth of DMs in the gaming scene where I live.

So, yeah.  Hi.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 22, 2010, 12:31:16 AM »
Got linked to the Andrew's Fortune AP by a friend of mine, gave it a listen. Then I moved on to the rest.

Big 'mistake', lemme tell you. Now I've got a huge backlog of systems I want to try out and ideas that keep me up at night. Figured I'd inflict myself on all ya'll to return the favor ;)

About me. Uh, 23, got introduced to tabletop when I picked up the 1st edition AD&D Monster Manual and Player's Handbook from a thrift store when I was about, oh, 9 or so, collected 'em since. Moved on to Shadowrun (2nd), and from there D&D 3.0, and now I have a small library of junk.

I game pretty frequently, being a part of 3 different D&D (3.5, with some heavy Pathfinder influences) groups, and personally am running a A Dirty World mini-game. Once that finishes, I'll work on adapting the Japanese horror film 'Sweet Home' to World of Darkness and probably Clock Tower to Fear Itself.

So, hi. 
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #217 on: December 22, 2010, 12:43:53 AM »
Nice. I've read a Let's Play of Clock Tower and it seems like a good fit for a tabletop game. Are you just basing the Sweet Home game after the movie or are you using anything from the video game?

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 22, 2010, 01:31:07 AM »
Nice. I've read a Let's Play of Clock Tower and it seems like a good fit for a tabletop game. Are you just basing the Sweet Home game after the movie or are you using anything from the video game?

Good question! I'm going to do a mix of the two. I think the game adds some elements (slow revealing of creepy background information through vaguely supernatural paintings) that the movie is lacking, but for the most part, will be basing it around the movie.

Group of suicidal fools brave, intrepid adventurers seeking the secret of the Haunted Mansion, home to renowned and possibly insane artist <name here>, who went crazy, but may have left near-priceless works of art in the home, hidden somewhere.

They go in, they set up shop, get a little comfortable.  Then things begin going down hill. . . It's something I'm looking forward to running.

Clock Tower could go either way, the biggest issue for me will be choosing a system to do it in, so I can influence the flavor of characters. D20 Modern and D&D would be right out, as it would be very easy to turn around and pummel scissor-man senseless repeatedly, for example. I'm hoping that with World of Darkness (mortals only!) or maybe Fear Itself or even Monsters and Other Childish Things, I can get the 'you could run into the horrifying murderer at any minute. What do you do? *smiles*" feel of the game just right.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #219 on: December 22, 2010, 02:58:08 PM »
Nemesis is a free ORE horror game that might suit your needs http://www.nemesis-system.com/up-download-files/nemesis/details.html

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 22, 2010, 03:02:42 PM »
Nemesis is a free ORE horror game that might suit your needs http://www.nemesis-system.com/up-download-files/nemesis/details.html

I considered Nemesis, initially, but figured I wanted to do something that wasn't ORE based. It is a good idea, though.

Red Indrid

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 25, 2010, 03:21:44 AM »
Hello I'm Andrew. I live near Jeff City, MO. I have yet to actually play a game though I am planning on running a game of Fear Itself as soon as I can get enough people to play.

I'm also a co-founder of my own production company, and we're planning on starting production of a Slender Man movie in January.

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #222 on: December 25, 2010, 10:09:21 AM »
Welcome and Merry Christmas.

It'll be interesting to see your take on Slender Man.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #223 on: December 25, 2010, 01:06:32 PM »
Hello I'm Andrew. I live near Jeff City, MO. I have yet to actually play a game though I am planning on running a game of Fear Itself as soon as I can get enough people to play.

I'm also a co-founder of my own production company, and we're planning on starting production of a Slender Man movie in January.

orly

If you ever shoot anything in Springfield, let me know and I can help out.

Red Indrid

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 26, 2010, 01:17:59 AM »
yarly

It's going to be super low-budget, but it's our first feature length film.

Thanks for the offer. We'll keep that in mind.