Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 428930 times)

vcdaniels

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • Utopian Dystopia
    • View Profile
Re: Intoduction
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2009, 11:05:49 PM »
 :D  That's good to know.  For a while I thought CoC was like a computer: 6 months after you buy it, it's obsolete.  I was about to say screw it.  I'm just gonna have to settle for the Windows 98 of Cthulhu rules.  And anyone who had a problem could just buy me another computer . . .

. . . wait . . . that's not right . . . yeah, it is . . . no it's not.
"Love is a lie, and I never lie to those I love"
                                -- Khea, Whore of Yomyael

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 11:26:27 PM »
I still use the same copy of the CoC rulebook that I bought in junior high - used for $11.

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2009, 04:02:09 AM »
I almost wish they did a version of CoC without much art and certainly none of the creatures. The few times I've tried to run the game with new players, they see the art and forever have a hard time feeling scared of things that look so....cheesy. My CoC copy is 5.6, which I got back in 2001. Bought brand new in hardback for $18 from my job at Hastings in Springfield, may it rest in piece. I really wish I could find a group that'd be open to playing it. None of my current groups has the right mindset for CoC. Cthulhutech, perhaps, but not CoC.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2009, 12:35:17 PM »
I almost wish they did a version of CoC without much art and certainly none of the creatures. The few times I've tried to run the game with new players, they see the art and forever have a hard time feeling scared of things that look so....cheesy. My CoC copy is 5.6, which I got back in 2001. Bought brand new in hardback for $18 from my job at Hastings in Springfield, may it rest in piece. I really wish I could find a group that'd be open to playing it. None of my current groups has the right mindset for CoC. Cthulhutech, perhaps, but not CoC.

The CoC monsters are great for horror games when you emphasize the WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING OH SHIT OH SHIT factor. Describe them in vague menacing terms and never ever tell the players the monster's names so they can't look its stats. A star vampire looks goofy in the book, but it's a different story when an invisible blood sucking flying monster that leaves its victims as sucker marked corpses is chasing the players through the woods. at night.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2009, 12:39:20 PM »
Wait, so I can go to the used book store, buy an older copy of the game, and not have to worry about the ruling being different?

Phelanar

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2009, 12:49:42 PM »
The CoC monsters are great for horror games when you emphasize the WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING OH SHIT OH SHIT factor. Describe them in vague menacing terms and never ever tell the players the monster's names so they can't look its stats. A star vampire looks goofy in the book, but it's a different story when an invisible blood sucking flying monster that leaves its victims as sucker marked corpses is chasing the players through the woods. at night.

Oh yeah, I totally get that. I never outright told my players what they were dealing with, but they generally figured it out eventually and then were in "hur-hur, why are we scared of something that looks like a 70s monster movie reject?" mode again. I think I've just run into players who aren't really suited for CoC. It takes people who are willing to be scared or creeped out to make the best of CoC and if players are adamant that they aren't going to, it's infinitely more difficult to get that mood.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2009, 01:00:02 PM »
Wait, so I can go to the used book store, buy an older copy of the game, and not have to worry about the ruling being different?

For CoC? Yes. The rules are dead simple anyway and haven't changed much in the last 10 years or so. If you go waayy back to version 3 or something then there are some changes but the only books that uses those rules were printed back in the 80s.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2009, 01:06:20 PM »
So I just need to find a book with a copyright from 1990 or sooner and I'm in the right zone? Well, that makes things alot easier. I'd been holding off on the system because of that.

Heck, maybe I'll be able to run a straight up CoC game at PAX if I can just use an older book.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2009, 06:35:51 PM »
I just bought 4th ed. Players Handbook 2 for 50% off at Planet Comicon! WOOT!

The general response from everyone I told at the con was "I hate 4th ed."

My response was, "Well, you don't play it with my group."
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2009, 09:06:10 PM »

I should give you some RPPR postcards to pass out at the next con.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »
I mentioned it to quite a few people, so at least there's that . . .

By the way, Druids are badass. I hate that I love my wizard so damn much because Druids are awfully tempting.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Phelanar

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2009, 05:25:25 AM »

That's brilliant. I really am kind of tired of all the 4e bashing. People don't like it, fine. Gods knows it's not for everybody and not perfect at all. But the dead horse doesn't need more beating. 

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2009, 12:10:22 PM »
Druids are fun but I'm going straight of the Invoker once I get a chance to play in a game.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2009, 03:59:18 PM »
I haven't had a chance to grab the PHB2...but I have many fond memories of my 2E druid...
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2009, 04:46:24 PM »
They aren't the same as they where. Like most things in 4E, Druids have had their class function fined down. They act as controllers, using abilities at range (or in bursts) to inflict injury and penalities on groups of enemies.

And shapeshifting. They can do that alot.