Author Topic: Good Intro Call of Cthulhu adventure?  (Read 7360 times)

MPR

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Good Intro Call of Cthulhu adventure?
« on: July 02, 2010, 10:48:45 PM »
I have recently decided to play CoC with my group of mostly new players. They don't know the Lovecraft stuff particularly well, but are familiar with the game due to our running the quickstart adventure The Haunting. So what I'm asking is if anyone can suggest is if anyone knows a simple adventure that can start a campaign and doesn't require much pre-existing knowledge. Many thanks in advance.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Re: Good Intro Call of Cthulhu adventure?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 11:00:05 PM »
Personally I'm a huge fan of Escape from Innsmouth.  It's pretty straightforward (as I recall) and not too bad as long as your players understand that fighting isn't really the answer.  I ran my group through that as the first game they played CoC and it worked pretty well except for their DnD/Player-Logic-Antics...

MPR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 11:52:05 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies! Yes luckily my players, although having only played D&D before, understand that combat is not the answer, and actually enjoy the lnon combat orientated parts of the adventure  :). Ill be sure to check out Innsmouth. And room B12 was a good session from what I remember from the actual play, so I will look at that too.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 07:01:56 PM »
And Rember B12 is Toms creation so maybe if you get lucky you can ask him for advice on running it.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »
lolz

Tom

Posting?

lolz

Tom Church

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 09:04:34 AM »
Ask, and ye shall...get stuff.
"The upper class keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes.  The middle class pays all of the taxes and does all of the work.  The poor are there just to scare the shit out of the middle class.  Keep them showing up at those 'jobs'."  George Carlin

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 07:22:42 PM »
Ask, and ye shall...get stuff.

All Hail Tom! I allways have faith!

MPR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 12:38:26 AM »
Innsmouth looks like just what I wanted! B12 is too similar to the intro adventure, but I will probably run it at a later date.

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 01:03:44 AM »
Innsmouth looks like just what I wanted! B12 is too similar to the intro adventure, but I will probably run it at a later date.

I definitely think it works well because it's pretty easy to run and there can be some pretty good pacing.  It can also be pretty unsettling as you figure out how weird things are.  Plus if you run it through everything suggested, you can get that cathartic release killing everything in the raid (if you don't die first)...