Author Topic: Looking for Netbook Recommendations  (Read 6639 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Looking for Netbook Recommendations
« on: August 25, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »
I think I should grab a netbook for school stuff and was wondering if anyone had recommendations.  Still feeling it out, but I think it would be nice to have one for basically internet access, MS/Open Office type things, and PDF viewing.  I don't need it for much of anything else as I have my desktop, but having something for classes would probably be helpful/necessary.  Just needs to be decently reliable.  I would rather get something cheaper that will only last a year than something that will last longer (in general, as long as it lasts the year, the cheaper the better)...

Thanks

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Netbook Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 05:48:32 PM »
Also, my cursory search has revealed there are some SUPER low end computers...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834684001

Joven

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Netbook Recommendations
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »
I have 2 Lenovo netbooks (one convertible tablet, one regular netbook), one has been on constantly since I got it in 2009, the other has been on most of the time since I got it in 2010.

I'd avoid Acer, since they tend to build the RAM into the motherboard, so if it goes bad the whole system is screwed, and accessing the HDD is an annoying deal. But if all you want is one to work a year, pretty much any of them will do that (and they'll most likely have a 1yr warranty, anyway.)

Id stay 10in+, since a smaller keyboard is pretty hard to type on (and they start losing/annoyingly combining keys a lot more on 9 or 8 inch ones.)