Author Topic: Most odd yet somehow fascinating RPG setting?  (Read 13666 times)

Addled GM

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Most odd yet somehow fascinating RPG setting?
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:52:50 PM »
There are plenty of great RPG settings out there.  Many of which are choked to death by an awful rules system (poor, poor Rifts).  What's your favorite odd RPG idea?

Here's one to start:

Badass Presidents
http://www.1km1kt.net/rpg/badass-presidents

Badass Presidents is an RPG about playing super-powered American Presidents as they fight against cthulean space horrors, Evil Jesus, and reborn deities in a post-apocalyptic world.

Just the thought of a superpowered Honest Abe sucker punching Zeus is hilarious enough to merit a mention.

Joven

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Most odd yet somehow fascinating RPG setting?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:25:56 PM »
You can be former president martin van buren, who became a time traveling mafia pimp because his father molested him with an interdimensional tentacle dildo? Eh, been done too many times already.

----------

The avatar used the first portion of its power to pull Mars from its orbit. It then set about hollowing and enlarging the sphere until it had crated a worldship double the size in volume of Earth. The avatar transformed the excess matter into vegetation and oceans, both interior and exterior. The avatar named his creation, The Worldship of Synnibarr, after the color of Mars, the planet from which she was made out and after the color of her first sunset.
To defend the adventurers, it created a well-protected city for them to live in and enclosed the Worldship in a Werestorm to protect it during its initial takeoff and while in flight.

As Synnibar crawled through space, she was bombarded with various types of radiation...This caused the creation of the first drake-type creature, the paradrake.  This creature was discovered by an Alchemist whose name is known only to his greatest creations, Lord Midnight and the 72-headed chameleon hydra....they stole his book of knowledge, and using it the dominating hydras, known as the midnight sunstone hydras, granted the other hydras the gift of intelligence and established a social order that lasted 26,000 years before the Great Rebellion of the Drakes, which came after The Purging, and after which the forces of Terra attempted to annihilate the creatures but the conflict still rages 24,000 years later.  Dear god, there's more? Dark lords, alien races, evil mages, alchemists of the forbidden city, blah blah blah, genetic plague, blah blah blah orbiting the Planet of Peace, blah blah blah oh goody the Dwarves saved their archives! Fucking Synnibarr.

Addled GM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:50:15 PM »
Dear God.

I had heard of Synnibarr, but I had no idea that it was that batshit insane. I wonder if the writers of Aqua Teens ever heard of Synnibarr because The Cybernetic Ghost of Christmas Past From the Future sounds a bit like its reciting the random Bullshit that congealed into Synnibarr. 

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:20:16 PM »
Thats without the dread dimension of Shadarkeem, the birth dimension of the gods where only Venderant Naleberong power works, where the Gods are all trapped to keep the God of Time who turned to darkness from destroying everything, the mutant wars which started when a 15 minute old fully grown woman with a heart as black as hell itself jumped into the reactor.  Luckily the mutant Steelbreeze who was invulnerable and super fast ran the distance between the Terra Isles and the Antarctic and entered The Womb to repair the damaged reactor before the Sun went nova.  And that's just the first page and a half.

Addled GM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:51:46 PM »
 :o

Is Raven McCracken the bastard son of Gary Busey and the Ultimate Warrior or is he an eight year old with ADHD that medicates himself with LSD and Mescaline?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:15:44 PM by Addled GM »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 06:16:22 PM »
I'm envisioning the awakening of the mummy in "The Mummy".

At this point some english guy needs to come running in shouting 'You must not read from the book!', and somewhere the spirit which overtook the author to create Synab body returns and begins writing the follow up book.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 07:27:51 PM »
hey guys have you heard of this setting

its called "The New World"

it's for D&D I think

I heard its pretty good

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 07:37:28 PM »
it's for D&D I think
I heard its pretty good

I think I saw that in a torrent pack once. Figured it was viral: "Ross Payton" is clearly an anagram of "Arson Typos".

In a minor aside, try putting your own name into this internet witchery and see what it does to your ego: Internet Anagram Server.

Sean-o-tron

• heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 08:10:58 PM »
Sean Henderson = heard nonsense

... pretty accurate, actually.

Dogfish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »
it's for D&D I think
I heard its pretty good

I think I saw that in a torrent pack once. Figured it was viral: "Ross Payton" is clearly an anagram of "Arson Typos".

In a minor aside, try putting your own name into this internet witchery and see what it does to your ego: Internet Anagram Server.

That was awesome, I put my name in and got 'A Librarian Stud'...the position I currently hold for my universities gaming society.

Addled GM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 09:44:06 PM »
I'd give the new world a shot but I have given up on D&D because of many, many, many, many bad experiences with the game.  The last of which was when a GM completely ruined the game for me because I came up with ideas that were off his mapped campaign plot.  The first time it happened we were going after some pirates that had been raiding an entire coastline.  I asked if we could find anyone willing to help us with supplies or additional NPCs for the party. He turned to me and said "That's a great idea but its not within the scope of the campaign."  After a WTF and the other players agreeing with me I sat down and brooded a bit. After an hour or so I got back into the game. I took the previous slight with a grain of salt and it happened two more times in that same session. I never played in another game with that GM and I hung up my D&D cap soon thereafter.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »
I'd give the new world a shot but I have given up on D&D because of many, many, many, many bad experiences with the game.  The last of which was when a GM completely ruined the game for me because I came up with ideas that were off his mapped campaign plot.  The first time it happened we were going after some pirates that had been raiding an entire coastline.  I asked if we could find anyone willing to help us with supplies or additional NPCs for the party. He turned to me and said "That's a great idea but its not within the scope of the campaign."  After a WTF and the other players agreeing with me I sat down and brooded a bit. After an hour or so I got back into the game. I took the previous slight with a grain of salt and it happened two more times in that same session. I never played in another game with that GM and I hung up my D&D cap soon thereafter.

your problem had nothing to do with D&D.  Also the New World is written system-neutral so you can use any in fantasy rpg game.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 01:22:09 AM »
it's for D&D I think
I heard its pretty good

Some gems from mine (Ean Moody)

A Demon Yo ('cause i'm a demon, gangstaz)
A Dye Moon (Blue perhaps?)

Sean-o-tron

• heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 02:12:55 AM »
ITT: we change the personal text on our profile to anagrams

ethan_dawe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 02:58:29 PM »
Wow, finally something my name is good for! http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=ethan+dawe&t=1000&a=n

I prefer: Death Wean or Hated Anew