Author Topic: Query of Podcasting  (Read 7978 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Query of Podcasting
« on: August 13, 2010, 06:39:12 PM »
I'm changing the focus of the podcast I've been trying to put together for the last year because I recently discovered I don't have enough strong, individual opinions to make a consistant podcast about gaming in general.

However, I discovered I have very definite information on a wide range of specific games. So, I'm going forward with the notion of advising on specific games in each podcast episode.

What I want to know is if something like this already exists. So far I haven't turned one up but I just started looking. I'm playing around with the name "So you want to play...", titling each episode "...[Insert Game Here]" and having two main segements: so you want to play and so you want to run, and filling the pre-show, between segements, and post-show with various oddities and humors.

So, I appeal to those who listen to more podcasts than I do: is there such a podcast already in existance?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Query of Podcasting
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 06:52:14 PM »
probably

have you looked at rpgpodcasts.com

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 06:55:19 PM »
probably

have you looked at rpgpodcasts.com

I'm searching it now. So far I don't see anything along the lines I plan to go but there's ALOT of podcasts on here.

Well, if it's out there I can't find it. Maybe I've found a good nitch then, since it apparently isn't easily accessible.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:31:43 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

acronomicon

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 10:17:53 PM »
While I can't claim to have listened to all RPG podcasts, I think that's a new niche.  There are certainly some podcasts that address both sides of the playing/running coin, but they tend to focus on one particular system, or do it in a disjointed way.  It would be worth including, whether it just be in show notes or what have you, actual plays for the system when available.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 03:40:47 AM »
My general plan was to take a given game, read through the book, then play a game or two of it with some of my players, and then think of general things I found helpful to running the game while asking my players about what they found useful in playing the game.

That way I'd be able to alterate Episodes and Actual Plays. And since I've already got about three game systems I play regularly and another four or five I play occationally I have some ground to work from.

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 09:31:30 AM »
I wouldn't worry if it is new or not. Its said there are only 7 original story ideas. I think its more important to create something that appeals to your target audience. Twilight isn't original or even very good, but a lot of people like it.

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 10:52:59 AM »
I've seen a couple of podcasts which do actual plays of different games and then discuss them afterwards ( 20 weeks of hell, walking eye and some more I can't seem to find ).  They don't get much into the details of the rules or how to play other than a quick introduction.  I think listening to a game being played helps to make sense of rule books.
Having more details or a human explanation of a new game would help also.  It could combine with an actual play to teach some of the intricacies of a new game.

Actual People, Actual Play is one of the others ( http://apap.libsyn.com/ )
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:01:49 AM by ristarr »

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 11:59:10 PM »
It doesn't matter if it has been done before - just do it better and no one will remember the other one.

Just like that other Facebook... you remember... what's it called?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 04:40:45 PM »
I need to ask a favor from anybody with a little free time. I've started some write ups on preparation for various games but I need a proof reader who plays games to tell me if something makes sense.

Anyone who's help I could beg?

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 04:50:02 PM »
I need to ask a favor from anybody with a little free time. I've started some write ups on preparation for various games but I need a proof reader who plays games to tell me if something makes sense.

Anyone who's help I could beg?

I can read stuff.  Do you want people who are familiar or unfamiliar with systems (or both)?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 04:55:08 PM »
Either works. The write ups are going to be blog posts to go along with the audio recordings.

It'll probably go Blog Post -> Audio Episode -> Actual Play of game system -> Follow up and then repeat with a new game system. First up is World of Darkness since that's mostly what I'm running now.

Thank you for offering to help. This are pretty sizable posts. Could you PM me your e-mail address and I can zip the first draft over to you when its finished?

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 09:10:26 PM »
Which NWoD game? I know Lost the best and the others in general terms, except for the ghost and hunter games.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 01:07:29 AM »
The base system. New World of Darkness is the central mechanic which houses the various settings. Basically it's how to play a mortal game.