Author Topic: Beneath the Red Sun [DnD 4th Edition, 4-6 Players]  (Read 45317 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Re: Beneath the Red Sun [DnD 4th Edition, 4-6 Players]
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 09:11:38 PM »
I'm not against a traveling caravan, but it seems a little bland. Don't get me wrong, the concept works on a number of levels, different people coming together, adventure on the open road, access to cities and towns, etc. I'd just like to see some/all of us be more than passengers, guards, what-have-you on this "stage coach". ie a hidden agenda. Like raiders traveling with the caravan with plans to attack from within when the ambush happens or some working for dragonking while others oppose them yet something happens that forces them all to work together for the survival, etc.

My thoughts exactly, I don't have a problem, but would like some interesting "gimmick" per se.  Cult idea or something like that could be fun...

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 10:10:37 PM »
I was thinking of something more brutal than art collectors.  ;)

The only thing about the idea is that this is one setting in which gods don't exist, so why bring them in even if in faith only? I'd suggest spirit/elemental worship that is a religion that people in this world follow.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 10:19:50 PM »
Oh man.  We should play con-men or classy bandits or something...

infinitejesting

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 10:23:26 PM »
I LOVE the Classy Bandits idea.

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 11:30:14 PM »
Classy bandits? What's that?

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 11:40:06 PM »
Sounds interesting. Maybe robbing the nobles and templars, to give to the common masses in a Robin Hood-esque action. Or simply rob everything and hightail it to the next town.

I'm liking the idea of playing a Thri-Kreen. Probably can play defender if needed.

infinitejesting

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 11:44:00 PM »
You know, bandits, but...classy.  ;)

What I think Mckma's talking about is kind of a caravan of ne'er do wells and con men.  Not above stealing, but not downright evil either.  They do what it takes to survive, and if that means robbing the sorcerer kings, then so be it.

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 11:48:27 PM »
Should we bring theme's into it or be like the an A-team where we are different themes but have similar goals, because there is a noble (for robin hood types).

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 11:50:33 PM »
You know, bandits, but...classy.  ;)

What I think Mckma's talking about is kind of a caravan of ne'er do wells and con men.  Not above stealing, but not downright evil either.  They do what it takes to survive, and if that means robbing the sorcerer kings, then so be it.

Yeah, but they do it with style.  Smash and grab is too base for them, and sometimes it's more a matter of pride and "art" than just getting stuff (i.e. if life wasn't so rough, they would break into a noble's house to steal a coffee table book just to show they could)...

infinitejesting

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 11:55:28 PM »
Should we bring theme's into it or be like the an A-team where we are different themes but have similar goals, because there is a noble (for robin hood types).

I'm thinking A-Team, different themes but similar goals.  Although the temptation to play a Thri-Kreen Mr. T might be a bit too strong.

You know, bandits, but...classy.  ;)

What I think Mckma's talking about is kind of a caravan of ne'er do wells and con men.  Not above stealing, but not downright evil either.  They do what it takes to survive, and if that means robbing the sorcerer kings, then so be it.

Yeah, but they do it with style.  Smash and grab is too base for them, and sometimes it's more a matter of pride and "art" than just getting stuff (i.e. if life wasn't so rough, they would break into a noble's house to steal a coffee table book just to show they could)...

Exactly.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 12:00:22 AM »
Dark Sun meets Ocean's Eleven.  ;)

iceemaker

• Medium Aberrant Humanoid (Gamer)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 12:19:33 AM »
Sorry about the delay. Typing on a Kindle SUCKS.

Classy bandits... cult... A-Team. I like it.

The only issue is that most Athasians are barely scraping by on a daily basis, completely unaware of the concept of a god. Either that, or the sorcerer-king that dominates the region erects a religion around him/herself and demands worship. So I would be really cautious with the whole cult angle. Of course there is primal spirit worship, but that seems like more of a symbiotic relationship than a religion. That, and most people are not even aware of the spirits' existence.

I really want to emphasize the idea that the vast majority of Athasians know of nothing beyond daily survival, that they lack the will to better their situation. Which is hardly their fault, of course.

While you guys contemplate the specifics, I will get everything set up with Arrrrrje.
My avatar is Jade Harley from Homestuck. You really should be reading it.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 12:37:52 AM »
Okay how about this:

For whatever reason we all found each other and formed a trade caravan to try and scrape by.  We quickly realized that being legit it is really hard to get by and thus decided to pursue potentially less honorable/legal means of survival.  For whatever reason we've decided that just raiding and pillaging is not very classy, and it just makes everyone pissed off.  So we still run our caravan, but steal when necessary or take particularly profitable jobs if we feel like it (and someone offers it).  Realizing that just stealing from anyone and everyone is a good way to get killed if you aren't careful, we attempt to strike a balance between legitimate and illegitimate work, and hope to build a positive reputation with upper middle level nobles (if there are such a thing), who might pay well to have things done (as any more powerful than that they can probably just do whatever the hell they want and not worry about doing things quietly)...

infinitejesting

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 12:45:52 AM »
Okay how about this:

For whatever reason we all found each other and formed a trade caravan to try and scrape by.  We quickly realized that being legit it is really hard to get by and thus decided to pursue potentially less honorable/legal means of survival.  For whatever reason we've decided that just raiding and pillaging is not very classy, and it just makes everyone pissed off.  So we still run our caravan, but steal when necessary or take particularly profitable jobs if we feel like it (and someone offers it).  Realizing that just stealing from anyone and everyone is a good way to get killed if you aren't careful, we attempt to strike a balance between legitimate and illegitimate work, and hope to build a positive reputation with upper middle level nobles (if there are such a thing), who might pay well to have things done (as any more powerful than that they can probably just do whatever the hell they want and not worry about doing things quietly)...

I like this.  I'm good to go with it unless anyone has any major objections.

iceemaker

• Medium Aberrant Humanoid (Gamer)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 12:58:15 AM »
Obviously you guys would need to work out the specifics for your characters (how you met each other, why you began raiding, etc.), but that is a great place to start. It's a great setup, as you guys can basically play whatever the hell you want.

Don't forget that there is always a demand for skilled and easily deniable mercenaries. Even the wealthiest of individuals cannot simply do as they please - the templars are entrenched EVERYWHERE. You can run the caravan at the behest of a noble family or trade cartel (the Dune Trader is an obvious theme one or two of you can take) and take some "special" tasks to supplement your income.
My avatar is Jade Harley from Homestuck. You really should be reading it.