Author Topic: Content and Specials Question  (Read 34404 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Content and Specials Question
« on: August 20, 2010, 11:08:39 PM »
Ross and I were discussing this before he left for Mexico last week and I forgot to put it up as a question for the forum. When we typically hold ransoms for supplements, we add incentives like pre-release APs and so on. For the next supplement that is in the works, Ross and I were discussing producing a series of short fiction that would accompany the release as an incentive.

We were also kicking around the idea of doing other types of ransoms, so ransoming short fiction based in the New World or other RPPR specific game worlds or even other types of short fiction (like longer versions of the dystopian micro fiction I was writing for a bit).

So I'm posting the question to the boards as a form of preliminary inquiry. We all know you love your APs as incentives, but what else would you like to see as incentives for future ransoms or ransomable content?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Content and Specials Question
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:23:48 PM »
Additional original works. The old skits where quite good. Law and Orcdom is truly exceptional and I still listen to the AB3 dramatizations every so often (okay so the AB3 stuff isn't 'original' but whatever).

Short fiction is a great idea, especially if its based off of RPPR staples like the New World Setting. I'd be especially interested in light drama readings of New World material or of audio book style readings because I have plenty of books but only so much worth listening to.

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 02:29:14 AM »
I don't think a short fiction based on the New World would carry the same energy as an AP.  Don't get me wrong, the story is interesting in itself, but it's more the interaction between the players that makes it totally awesome.

As for what I do want for content, I'm less certain.  Maybe a footnote somewhere in the book as a contributor?

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 10:34:25 AM »
Good short fiction would be interesting based on the New World. Maybe you could have forum people submit stories and pick one or a few of the best to be including with the supplements.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 11:02:17 AM »
I don't think a short fiction based on the New World would carry the same energy as an AP.  Don't get me wrong, the story is interesting in itself, but it's more the interaction between the players that makes it totally awesome.

We agree with this. It wouldn't be an either/or thing but rather a "what other content could we use as incentives." So for X-amount you could get some short fiction, but for X-amount you could get short fiction + unreleased APs, etc.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 11:15:03 AM »
I know it is probably a lot of work for Ross, but I think the Skype games are a good idea.  Short fiction would be interesting, but I don't think I would be that compelled to donate fore it (i.e. would view it more as a "bonus" on top of the other incentives), but that could just be me.  I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that would interest me personally, but as far as random ideas go I had two more.  I don't know if gaming conventions are at all like E3 as far as swag goes, but if you pick up a lot of that you could potentially kick some of that back (but then again that might have legal implications as far as "selling" it).  Or, and this one is kind of really out there, I know Mike and Jerry from Penny Arcade auctioned the dice they used in recording the DnD podcasts, so you could do dice or something (granted you don't carry the same weight as the two of them, but as far as in the "RPPR community" it may work)...

So yeah, weird stuff I know, but it might trigger and idea for someone...

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 05:10:46 PM »
Tom's dice have been pissed on by Aaron's cat. Does that make them worth more or less?
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

beowuuf

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • DM.com - forums dedicated to a 25 year old PC game.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »

$100 - you get the dice
$200 - Tom must use the dice forever

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 05:23:18 PM »
They would be worth a lot more if they had been passed by Aaron's cat.  Kopi dice anyone?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Sorry, I guess I should try and contribute a little more than a smartass comment.  I like the ransom model a lot and participate in a number of them.  Some end up as just a preorder, and that is fine.  Others release the product freely after the ransom and offer some "unusual" incentives for varying levels of contribution ( I got a bunch of cupcakes for backing a local music album ).  Greg Stolze's recent ones have been a random gaming book from his library, prints from woodcuts related to the project.  Of course here we get advanced access to APs and other things.  I think my favorite benny has been the DG Skype game ( but I haven't gotten the cupcakes yet ;) ).  I have been happy with all of them.  I don't back a project for extras unless it is just a pre-order, but I will raise my level of contribution depending on the extras.

Another way to approach the contribution levels is the way Open Design does it.  You are given forum access to the design process.  You get to vote for things.  For different levels of contribution, you could be playtesting or even doing monster or encounter design.   I think having a "contributor" forum for design questions/comments would work great here.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:35:50 PM by ristarr »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 05:54:54 PM »
They would be worth a lot more if they had been passed by Aaron's cat.  Kopi dice anyone?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

That's almost as bad as elephant cured durian. Want to know how to make durian more foul tasting? Cure it with an elephant.

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 06:22:55 PM »
I thought Durian was actually pretty good, but just had the foulest and most powerful smell ever (prompting things like "NO DURIAN" signs).

Also, fastest derail ever.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 06:46:11 PM »
I thought Durian was actually pretty good, but just had the foulest and most powerful smell ever (prompting things like "NO DURIAN" signs).

Also, fastest derail ever.

It's my thread, I'll derail it if I want.

WHAT IF WE OFFERED DURIAN FRUIT CHEWS AS AN INCENTIVE?!?

Better?

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:54:15 PM by crash2455 »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 07:10:22 PM »
If I didn't have to place a 50 carton minimum I would so do it. But I really don't need 2000 packages of durian candy.

Dogfish

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 07:14:17 PM »
According to Brad Jones (the cinema snob) the candies taste quite pleasent.