Author Topic: Begin character creation!  (Read 44189 times)

iceemaker

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Medium Aberrant Humanoid (Gamer)
    • View Profile
Begin character creation!
« on: August 22, 2010, 03:43:53 PM »
Level 1, same stipulations as before. Use the premise described in the recruitment thread to help inform your character. You may also use this topic to hash out any more specifics among each another.

Post your character in the Templar Archives in a separate thread, with his/her name, level, and class in the title.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:48:57 PM by iceemaker »
My avatar is Jade Harley from Homestuck. You really should be reading it.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: Begin character creation!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 05:30:16 PM »
Trying to see what role each of us are taking from the recruitment thread:

Ryo - Striker leaning towards Rogue, or Defender.
Mckma - Druid as more Striker than Controller, or Defender.
infiniteJesting - Leader, possibly Bard.
siriq- Rogue or Ranger.
Dom - Possibly Thri-Kreen and/or martial class.

So if we go with first choices, we have two strikers, a leader and a controller that leans towards striker. In my opinion, a striker-heavy party might not be too well balanced. I could take defender or controller, but then someone might want to take a slightly more defensive role, or one that could provide some extra healing.

infinitejesting

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 08:02:30 PM »
Yeah, I agree with you Dom, it might not be too well-balanced.

Also, I'm thinking of playing a warlord instead of a bard.  Seems to make more sense with the setting.  That good with everyone?

Ryo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:27:55 PM »
I don't see a big problem with a lot of strikers as long as they are hardy. As such I can go, Barbarian, Fighter, Warden and maybe battle mind are possible too.

A barb or fighter is good if we are shooting for fast and furious. A warden would work with a lot of range types. A battlemind works for control support. It just depends what everyone wants to do.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:39:41 PM »
I'm probably going to go defender after all.  Maybe a second leader for the heals.  I'll look through classes and figure it out sometime early in the week...

iceemaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:24:48 PM »
Friday will be the deadline for finalization of your characters. I will then make the first "offical" post the following day. Obviously, if you guys finish your characters prior to the deadline, we will begin sooner.

infinitejesting

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 11:37:48 PM »
Great!

Just as a general question, is there any good D&D character creation software for the mac?  I've been trying to find some, but so far, no luck.  I'm a first time player, and I only have Player's Handbook 1 and the Dark Sun Campaign Guide, so I don't want to miss out on any cool options.

Thanks in advance.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 12:14:21 AM »
Great!

Just as a general question, is there any good D&D character creation software for the mac?  I've been trying to find some, but so far, no luck.  I'm a first time player, and I only have Player's Handbook 1 and the Dark Sun Campaign Guide, so I don't want to miss out on any cool options.

Thanks in advance.

If you have Excel (or I think OpenOffice works), this spreadsheet is AMAZING for making sure you don't screw up anything too bad...

http://dnd4.com/dd-4th-edition-character-sheet

iceemaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »
Additionally, Wizards has a character builder on their [html=http://www.wizards.com/dnd]web site[/html]. You need to subscribe to D&D Insider to access all of the features, but it a good walkthrough for the basics of character creation.

You can post your character as presented in the Character Builder, a PDF of the character sheet, an Excel spreadsheet, whatever. As long as all of the necessary information is present.

Oh, and I can begin rolling Wild Talents for anybody that would like one.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »

I don't have the campaign setting book yet (not sure when I might get it).  Could you possibly go over the themes and/or what the Wild Talents are?

infinitejesting

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 11:14:45 AM »

If you have Excel (or I think OpenOffice works), this spreadsheet is AMAZING for making sure you don't screw up anything too bad...

http://dnd4.com/dd-4th-edition-character-sheet

Thanks, that's a huge help

I'd love a Wild Talent, thanks.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 12:55:52 PM »
My primary choice right now is a Brawling Fighter. I've never played one, and the concept looks interesting with a Gladiator theme.

iceemaker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 01:10:32 PM »
@infinitejesting I am at school atm, so I don't have the reference table for Wild Talents. I rolled a 3, though. So you gain whatever that is.

@Mckma Themes are applied to your character during creation. You do not need to spend ANYTHING - no feats, class features, skills, etc. - to gain a theme. Themes give you an encounter power that scales with your level: Gladiators get a heavy melee attack with a push, Athasian Minstrels get a poison attack, etc.

@Dom A player in my Revenge of the Giants campaign is running a brawler and he loves it. It is a pain in the ass to keep track of grabs and having a hand free and all that jazz, though. There is an actual gladiator build for fighters in the Campaign Setting, but you can play whatever you want.

Wild Talents is a ORE game. I have no idea what you are talking about. Seriously, though, Wild Talents are little psionic powers akin to the Wizard's cantrips that allow you to perform some minor effect. Engulf a small object in flames, listen in as if you were standing in the designated location, telekinesis, etc. They are minor, but are cool little extras that really emphasize the prevalence of psionics in Dark Sun.

As mentioned before, I am at school at the moment, so I cannot list all of these features in exacting detail. But once I get home (6:00PM ish EST) I can give you more detail.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:12:24 PM by iceemaker »

infinitejesting

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
awesome, I have Known Direction, which fits my Dune Trader themed Warlord perfectly.  Thanks.

siriq

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 11:23:23 AM »
Im sorry i cant see to find what the starting lvl is.  Is it 1 or different?  Im going to role a rogue w/ a pickpocket type background.