Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 1011078 times)

metalwhisper

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #360 on: July 12, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »
I GOT LEFT4DEAD 2 FOR LIKE $5 ON STEAM AND IT"S FUCKING AWESOME!!!!

Sorry, I just had to yell that to the sky.

Anyway, I was thinking today on just why it is awesome, zombies aside. I think it's because, probably more than any other shooter I've played, it gives a such a strong sense of camaraderie between the characters. I find myself really wanting to help other players out, even if they're just AI controlled. Also, the environments and levels are amazing. Makes me really want to play AFMBE, or maybe a BRP zombie game.
Incidentally, if anyone is ever up for a game, I'm also metalwhisper on steam.
Also Amnesia and Penumbra are creepy as hell.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #361 on: July 12, 2011, 10:56:29 PM »
Yeah L4D2 does teach you to care about your team more than any other FPS.

KF is more focused on reading the battlefield and managing hordes of monsters - knowing how to hold a chokepoint or run when the monsters overrun you. You can solo shit in KF - you can't in L4D2.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 12, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »
I GOT LEFT4DEAD 2 FOR LIKE $5 ON STEAM AND IT"S FUCKING AWESOME!!!!

Sorry, I just had to yell that to the sky.

Anyway, I was thinking today on just why it is awesome, zombies aside. I think it's because, probably more than any other shooter I've played, it gives a such a strong sense of camaraderie between the characters. I find myself really wanting to help other players out, even if they're just AI controlled. Also, the environments and levels are amazing. Makes me really want to play AFMBE, or maybe a BRP zombie game.
Incidentally, if anyone is ever up for a game, I'm also metalwhisper on steam.
Also Amnesia and Penumbra are creepy as hell.

Sent a request, always looking for more people to L4D with (since I don't really play because I have no one to do so with).  Also, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth is similar and also excellent.  It focuses a bit more on shooting later in the game and definitely on a story, but is incredibly unsettling, especially at the beginning...

metalwhisper

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 13, 2011, 12:03:40 AM »
Playing both L4D2 and KF. Agree that teamwork is more important in L4D2. Like both, but I'd lean toward L4D2 if I was forced to choose.
And yeah, Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners was amazing. One of the most underrated games ever. Before the company went under, I heard that the plan was to release a line of similar CoC games. Pity it didn't work out. Of course, it kind of seems that the developers of Amnesia picked up the mantle. That's good. Real good, in fact.
Oh yeah, I've also been playing Borderlands. I'm liking it a lot. Reminds me of Gamma World somehow. I wish the sound wouldn't cut out sometimes, though.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:06:48 AM by metalwhisper »

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 23, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »
So, Dwarf Fortress appeared on the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/magazine/the-brilliance-of-dwarf-fortress.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

After reading it, I decided to once again have fun losing.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: July 25, 2011, 02:06:20 AM »
NYT is way too mainstream for DF. Now I don't want to play it at all.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 26, 2011, 12:42:31 PM »
Cthulhu saves the world is awesome. I suck at Team Fortress 2. I finally got to play Spore... S'okay. Dungeon Keeper is sweet. I suuuuuuuuck at Sins of A Solar Empire although it's still fun.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 26, 2011, 07:58:47 PM »
Playing a bit of Starcraft, but I suck at it.  I really want to like it and get into it, but it's really difficult for me to get a handle on and I can't seem to find a difficulty setting, so I'm basically getting stomped over and over by computers...

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 26, 2011, 08:44:38 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but it's worth it:

Humble Indie Bundle #3

And Yet it Moves and VVVVVV are both great platformers.  Aesthetically beautiful and VVVVVV at least is incredibly difficult...

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 27, 2011, 07:07:49 PM »
From The Abyss and Suikoden Tierkreis, both for the Nintendo DS.

From The Abyss is, eh, I'd give it a 6.5. Decent, if unremarkable tunes, solid, yet repetitive and simple gameplay and short length make it a good dungeon crawling hack 'n slash for a little while (I cleared the game in about 6 hours, so).

Tierkries is great, albeit very different from the rest of the Suikoden series. Traditional turned based JRPG combat, traditional Suikoden story. Fun times. I'd give it about a 7.5.

Also preordered Deus Ex: Human Revolution's augmented edition. 40 page artbook and OST? Yes please.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 02, 2011, 06:16:32 PM »
I bought E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy.

After finishing the first level, my first thought was that it had been a waste of money, but after playing it for a few hours I'm starting to enjoy it.

Basically, it's a game that tries to combine several games in once. The gameplay is an mixture of Deus Ex and System Shock's RPG elements, Counter Strike's shooting gameplay, and Borderland's 4-player co-op thrown in for good measure.

The setting is an amalgamation of Warhammer 40k, Deus Ex, Dead Space, and Chinese + Roman ancient history.

The translation is off at times, the graphics are nothing to write home about, couldn't make sense of the plot most of the time, and the re-spawning enemies get boring when playing in single player. But for all it's faults, it is a solid and fun FPS and for only $18 dollars it will give a lot of bang for your buck.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 03, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
Playing Titan Quest with some friends.  It is a very fun Diablo-esque game (though unfortunately without randomly generated levels).  I really am enjoying the leveling/skill system.  Basically there are 9 different "classes" and you pick two for each character.  Then you put points in how you see fit, but there is the "class mastery" that gives you beneficial stats for the class and the more points that are place there, the more options that unlock.  So basically we've been rushing that skill to unlock super high level abilities ASAP and then dominating the enemies.  All in all, great fun with friends, have yet to play by myself...

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 04, 2011, 02:20:05 AM »
Picked up Chantelise. It's. . .actually, really surprisingly difficult, at least without a controller. Anime style, obnoxiously Japanese, hack and slash combat, about late PS1-era graphics I'd say. It's not a bad game at all, worth the 9 bucks at very least.

Oh, also, Knights in the Nightmare. Once you get past the sixty four part tutorial, it's pretty sweet. And so complicated, my god.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 04, 2011, 12:47:21 PM »
Someone out there decided to make Hellgate London into a free to play mmo which is cool because i own the original pc game and i always wanted to play multiplayer with my friends. It's diablo 2 esque goodness and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys that style of game.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

metalwhisper

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 05, 2011, 09:34:16 AM »
I downloaded E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy from Steam also. I agree with most of your thoughts on it, Dom. It took a bit for it to grow on me as well, but now I'm enjoying it a quite a whole lot. The other influences I would add to your list include Syndicate and Syndicate Wars(if anyone else is old enough to remember those games) as well as a healthy dose of Blade Runner. There's even some Lovecraft in the there.