Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996330 times)

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #495 on: November 11, 2011, 03:47:06 PM »
Playing Warcraft 3, after I realized that the old CD keys I had from the battle chest are good for a free download from Blizzard, scratched disk or not.  I'm playing the old Human campaign again for some stylistic insights into a simple faux-medieval town setup - say what you want about their tropes of betrayal and redemption, Blizzard makes some good choices in the art department.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 11, 2011, 09:05:02 PM »
They took Hand-To-Hand out of Skyrim. 

>:[
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 11, 2011, 10:06:36 PM »
welp the kickstarter is over $2,000 so fuck it imma buy Skyrim

And the verdict is?  Well in general from people with Skyrim?

Watched Day[9] streaming the game for a couple hours...

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 11, 2011, 10:53:04 PM »
MY VERDICT (after my 9 or so hours of playing nonstop) is this:

Graphically, it's beautiful, with weather effects and other small touches (when it rains, each drop makes little ripple pools in water, which is just beautiful, then there's the mist effects, oh man), the score is suitably epic and fantasy-y, which rises in dramatic swells when dragons swoop overhead and what not.

I've not spent much time fiddling with NPCs (too busy stabbing things) and so haven't noticed anything about the Radiant AI, although I will say that the dragon AI is hilariously mean. Sometimes a dragon will ignore you and go right ahead and swoop towards a nearby deer or man or giant and fling them a hundred feet into the air.

Combat feels a bit tighter now, and the various melee 'finishers' that trigger randomly are satisfying (although absent for unarmed attacks MUCH TO MY ANNOYANCE FOREVER ARFGHHFKLSE), and the new spells (fire/lightning/cold stream) are neat. Clairvoyance is actually really useful now.

The mechanics of how your character works are a bit different; attributes are gone. No more Strength or Agility or Speed or Luck. Who you are and how able you are is purely dependent on your skills and gear, and I HATE IT. This means no more tweaking things to be able to outrun deer on foot. For me, it feels like a ton of customization has been ripped away, but I can see how simplifying things makes the game easier to play.

The way leveling works has been changed. Rather than choosing a variety of major and minor skills, as happened in Morrowind and Oblivion, ALL your skills now contribute to leveling, which makes level-ups feel very very very rapid. When you level, you get 1 perk point (which can be spent on stuff like 'one handed weapons now deal 20% more damage' or 'Cast Novice Alteration spells at half-magicka cost'), and can add 10 points either to your Hit Points, Stamina, or Magicka bar.

All together, I feel it works well. I don't like it though, but that's mostly just because I enjoy those niggling little aspects of char-gen/creation.

What really impresses me the most though, is the dungeon design. Caves all feel different, as do the dungeons and the buildings, and it's a treat to go through them and see new-ish stuff every time. Some dungeons have traps and puzzles (no really complex puzzles, but it's still a fun diversion), and all  in all, they're vastly improved.

So I'd say 8.75 out of 10. It'd be 9 but they took out all the fun character creation bits I really liked messing with. Also spell creation. >:[

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #499 on: November 12, 2011, 01:47:07 AM »
I never cared for morrowind or oblivion to be honest. Well, morrowind at least. I didn't have a computer that could run oblivion until last year and I didn't feel like getting it then.

Anyway, I dig it. I'm playing a dark elf mage/archer type with skullface warpaint that I named Elf Punisher. He's pretty badass and murders all criminals whenever possible.

I dig it - it's fun. I'm just going to focus mostly on the main quest because I don't want to get bogged down with endless side quests.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #500 on: November 12, 2011, 02:14:42 AM »

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
« Reply #501 on: November 14, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »
Just did a beta weekend for Star Wars Old Republic, I enjoyed very much so getting my bounty hunter on. Also DCU is now free to play, it's a fun mmo so if you need a mmo to play while you wait for something else to come out it works well for that. I also have been playing Gears of War 3 and Sonic Generations. Gears is like the others chainsaw gun people to death. Sonic Generations is fun, a good mixed of old school Sonic and the new style of Sonic games.
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #502 on: November 14, 2011, 02:10:21 PM »
Yeah same here, Skyrim. So much Skyrim.
My main quest has been to figure out where I want to live. I was using the Abandoned Shack of the [spoiler]Dark Brotherhood![/spoiler]

But I'm sick of storing everything in that bloody house. I need my own place. I'm playing a cat person.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #503 on: November 14, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »
I gave into peer pressure and got Skyrim. I like it alot so far. Definitely more fun to be a mage than it has been in previous games. Just getting started, playing a Brenton as my first PC, like usual. Burning the country side pretty well until I found out that there's giants out there! I thought that thing Ross posted was a hack or something, god damn it!

Only thing that really pisses me off is that I've frozen on the loading screens twice.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 14, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »
Not playing it yet, but I was just looking at reviews for Skyward Sword, and I can pretty much guess that I'll be playing that all day Sunday...

Or at least decently late that night...

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 15, 2011, 02:26:58 AM »
Just did a beta weekend for Star Wars Old Republic, I enjoyed very much so getting my bounty hunter on. Also DCU is now free to play, it's a fun mmo so if you need a mmo to play while you wait for something else to come out it works well for that. I also have been playing Gears of War 3 and Sonic Generations. Gears is like the others chainsaw gun people to death. Sonic Generations is fun, a good mixed of old school Sonic and the new style of Sonic games.

Highyly recomend playing as the imp agent. The story behind it is amazing!!!!

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
« Reply #506 on: November 15, 2011, 09:29:56 AM »
I didn't check out the agent. I looked at the jedi knight and the sith inquisitor. Mmmmm force lighting npcs during conversations.
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

Moondog

• A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 15, 2011, 11:07:52 AM »
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.

hnnnnggghhhhh Iron Fist and Phoenix Wright

BobThePaladin

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • "Smite Evil! SMITE EVIL!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 16, 2011, 03:51:52 PM »
Too many to count for me now.  I got to try out the Old Republic weekend beta as well.  I miss my Sith Inquisitor so much now...

Anyway, juggling between Skyrim and Saints Row: The Third. 

And Ross, that picture is why I don't mess with Giants...

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 16, 2011, 05:13:22 PM »
In order to be a conforming non-conformist, I have decided to play Oblivion...

Actually it's just on sale so I bought it...