Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996208 times)

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #555 on: November 28, 2011, 01:21:13 AM »
Been playing lots of Payday. Lots and lots of Payday.

There's a lot of interest now because of the steam sale, which is good because the game rocks.

Parts of Payday are strange to me, mostly in that it takes a bunch of ideas from heist movies and crime dramas and then abstracts them so as to make a playable and challenging videogame.  Things like the automatic drill that tells you exactly how much time is left in the process but breaks down every 5 seconds or so and how you can trade hostages to get back your teammates after you've gunned down like 50 cops.

I enjoy the game in spite of those random little nitpicks.  I just laugh a little every time they happen.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 28, 2011, 01:11:56 PM »
I would say that Payday centers on the gameplay rather than the story or the realism.

It IS  a bit silly to think that a game where 4 gunman wearing business suits and clown masks gunning down 500 or so policemen and getting away with a duffel bag full of cash makes much sense.

Still, it's a better game than one where you take hostages in a bank, hole up in there for six hours while talking to the police and making demands, asking for a bus and a ticket out of the country, and getting shot by snipers because you got too close to a window.

So basically, it's better to make a game on "HEAT" than "Inside Man". Payday manages to make the game be both stylish and fun, since the realism rarely interferes with the gameplay.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #557 on: November 28, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »
Just got Disgaea 4 from Gamefly. As usual I'm enjoying myself right away. I really like that the protagonist is older in attitude than in previous games.

Darksaw

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • I'm a wizard, and that looks fucked up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 30, 2011, 01:10:41 PM »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 30, 2011, 02:13:40 PM »
Goddamn it, Dungeons of Dredmor is trying to prevent me from completing my dissertation.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 30, 2011, 03:30:02 PM »
Humble Indie Bundle (or whatever developer they are doing at the time) are just too powerfully tempting...

Anyway, an interesting tool that people might want to check out:
http://www.steamcalculator.com/

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #561 on: November 30, 2011, 04:02:20 PM »
of course that looks up full retail of all those games - not the sale price you bought it for 99.99% off or whatever.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 30, 2011, 04:08:23 PM »
of course that looks up full retail of all those games - not the sale price you bought it for 99.99% off or whatever.

This is true, but it is also fun to find out the retail value (and then hoping that you did in fact buy most of the games at about 99.99% off)...

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 05, 2011, 11:21:06 PM »
That site doesn't seem to work on my account, for some reason... Every time I try to follow the instructions to set my account settings properly, it still doesn't recognize that I have any games. Weird.  :o

So anyway, I just beat Jurassic Park: The Game for PC. I loved it, for all its many many glitches and very occasionally weird story decisions.
[spoiler]"Hey, let's make a joke about how this particular prehistoric animal couldn't possibly have been cloned the same way as the dinosaurs! There's no way they have one of those, right? *giant fucking eel-croc swims by* Welp, they cloned it. Let's not ask any more questions."[/spoiler]

For anyone who liked the movies (and I will freely admit that I did), it's a fun ride through the island we've grown to love and fear. From epic setpieces to glitchy cars that will drive away after having flipped over, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 06, 2011, 06:23:11 PM »
I don't care what problems Dungeons of Dredmor has, it references The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the Eighth Dimension! which makes it okay by my book...

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #565 on: December 06, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »
Playing through Space Marine. Don't think the dialog writers did any research on their subject. Artists sure did though.

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #566 on: December 06, 2011, 07:02:40 PM »
Playing through Space Marine. Don't think the dialog writers did any research on their subject. Artists sure did though.

What research is there to do?  Just think of things that a 13-year-old would find awesome and you have space marines.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #567 on: December 06, 2011, 07:13:08 PM »
Exactly my point, this shouldn't be hard. Luckily they do the look of things and the combat extremely well (so far).

It's the dialog that comes across as strange for those who've "studied" Space Marines. Their references to the Codex, the clunky exchanges between the squad members, and a general lack of zeal and faith which is a large part of what one expects for an Astartes, to say nothing of Ultramarines.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 06, 2011, 09:38:06 PM »
Playing the Tribes Ascend beta. Skiing may just well be the funnest thing you can do in a FPS, apart from shooting guns.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 07, 2011, 07:58:19 AM »
Finally done with Arkham City. I moved on to Deus Ex: Human Revolution. It's taken me three days to adjust to the cover system.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.