Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996182 times)

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #795 on: November 09, 2012, 12:34:18 AM »
Having played on my friend's PS3 and my laptop both, I can tell you that whatever lag is coming through is absolutely NOT the frame lock.
I fucking love Dark Souls and the entire design philosophy of it being a balls-hard game with a relatively complex combat system and a steep learning curve appeals to me quite a bit. The same thing in a tabletop game would probably cause me to hate it. Different strokes, I suppose.

Leaving aside my opinion that aside from a few shining gems (such as the last boss fight), most of the game isn't legitimately difficult or challenging, what makes you say that the combat system is complex?

Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 09, 2012, 10:07:22 AM »
Having played on my friend's PS3 and my laptop both, I can tell you that whatever lag is coming through is absolutely NOT the frame lock.
I fucking love Dark Souls and the entire design philosophy of it being a balls-hard game with a relatively complex combat system and a steep learning curve appeals to me quite a bit. The same thing in a tabletop game would probably cause me to hate it. Different strokes, I suppose.

Leaving aside my opinion that aside from a few shining gems (such as the last boss fight), most of the game isn't legitimately difficult or challenging, what makes you say that the combat system is complex?

Watching my friends play and beat both and playing a bit of both myself, I would say that Demon Souls is that high difficulty, whereas Dark Souls is more "standard" in difficulty...

Great Scott!

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 14, 2012, 12:45:17 AM »
As Tadanori said, Space Marine was not very satisfying at all. Rather disappointing actually.

On a different note, has anyone played Natural Selection 2? It's different in that it mixes RTS and FPS with units and commanders being real players. It can be a lot of fun, especially if you win. Very satisfying. I recommend checking it out, it might be a good game for a lot of you. It's especially fun to just mess around with your friends in as well.
I can't think of anything worth putting here, so I decided not to have anything of consequence.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: December 02, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »
Space Marine. Ugh. I'm done with it.
I still enjoy the Kill Team dual-stick shooter, though.

I have been playing Castle Crashers with my daughters, we finally finished it, even if they did spend the majority of the final fight dead. (The pink knight's giant lollipop weapon and rainbow magic attack are pretty amusing.)

I am replaying Mark of the Ninja on NG+. Last night I couldn't help but notice how much the Magic Ninja Plant looks like the Vhrool Oil logo from the Call of Cthulhu comics.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #799 on: December 02, 2012, 12:51:01 PM »
I picked up a ton on the Thanksgiving Steam sales.

Terraria, Left for Dead 2, Darksiders 2, Alan Wake, and Magicka. I'm also playing Borderlands again with a friend online and I've got Dishonored.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #800 on: December 02, 2012, 02:58:50 PM »
Xcom, sleeping dogs, ravaged, chivalry, the haunted, the walking dead, and spec ops the line for me.

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #801 on: December 04, 2012, 04:03:39 PM »
I'm getting all the bang for my buck out of my Playstation Vita. Two games were released just recently, Persona 4 Golden and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. Both are Japanese games but extremely good ones at that. If any of you buy a PS Vita, both games are highly recommended.

Moose Fisher

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: December 04, 2012, 04:10:09 PM »
Awesomenauts has been pretty awesome.
It's got a lot of MOBA elements like DOTA or LoL, but it's a lot more laid back with the ability to drop in and out of games.
The music is pretty cool too.

This is my favorite character, a space viking with a 3-hit-combo, earthquake, and can throw people behind him.
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: December 04, 2012, 09:04:23 PM »
I'm getting all the bang for my buck out of my Playstation Vita. Two games were released just recently, Persona 4 Golden and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. Both are Japanese games but extremely good ones at that. If any of you buy a PS Vita, both games are highly recommended.

Does Persona 4 Golden have the Japanese voices included? or is it dub only?

I was also finally getting some use out of my Vita thanks to Playstation Plus, just got done playing through Gravity Rush (awesome), and started/quit Uncharted (crap), and was looking at P4G as the next one to play.

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: December 05, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »

Does Persona 4 Golden have the Japanese voices included? or is it dub only?

I was also finally getting some use out of my Vita thanks to Playstation Plus, just got done playing through Gravity Rush (awesome), and started/quit Uncharted (crap), and was looking at P4G as the next one to play.

Unfortunately, the only choice is dubbed. I'm okay with that though, the voice acting is indeed quite good. Except for a few minor characters with annoying voice, there was only one that was kinda grating at first and even for that one I eventually got used to it. (Chie's voice, if you know which character I mean.)

Zero Escape does have Japanese voice acting as well as English voice acting, you can choose which one you want when you start or load a game. But, that game definitely had some of the best English voice acting I've heard for any video-game and the story kept me gripped for the entire 35 hours it took me. (I finally finished it just yesterday, and the story will probably stick with me for a very long time. It's that good.)

I haven't heard about Gravity Rush, I'll check it out. Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 12:02:17 PM by Dom »

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: December 05, 2012, 10:16:21 PM »
Gravity Rush is cool because the art style and gameplay are good, the world is interesting, and she flies around like Pumaman. Its one of the games you get free with Playstation Plus.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:18:28 PM by Joven »

Snake-Eyes

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Illusive Comics & Games
You've been sucked out of the airlock into the black. Roll all the dice on the table for damage.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: December 16, 2012, 08:07:47 PM »
The Secret World is now free to play, 30 Bucks for the game on steam, you get full access to the game, if you sub to it for 15 bucks a month you get 10 bucks to the cash shop a free gift and a bonus to exp/month. so 30 bucks for the game and you get everything you normally would have gotten. pretty good deal. Im prob gonna buy it this week. very excited fun cthulu based MMO the combat is ok but the investigation missions are fun as hell.

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: December 16, 2012, 09:36:26 PM »
Nice, I just bought The Secret World as well, but I got it from Amazon for $15. Still downloading it since it's a hefty 15 gigs, but I really want to play it.

Supposedly it takes a lot of influence from the Cthulhu Mythos, and there might even be a mission where you fight Cthulhu himself!

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: December 16, 2012, 10:03:07 PM »
Theres an end boss of the first instance thats very cthulu looking. Good deal btw 15 on amazon.