Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996166 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #855 on: January 28, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
Finished Assassin's Creed 3. Didn't make a ton of sense. Credits took way longer than the ending cinematic.

Now starting Anarchy Reigns.

Got a copy of Last Remnant for PC. It's one of my favorite games, though for the life of me I can't explain why. It's buggy with weird storytelling and gives you virtually no control over your units beyond basic instructions and only lets you control your own equipment, not the equipment of your allies (of which you'll likely have about thirty).

There's just something... entralling about it. Mass combat, the unit vs unit approach, the fast pace of each round of combat, and interesting character design keep me coming back. The PC version, even having only played it for an hour or so, is already vastly superior to my XBOX 360 version. Load times are short, especially in combat (on the consule edition individuals would sometimes stand, weapon ready, for three or four seconds while their attack animation loaded), and the frame rate is much, much higher.

Also, four armed cat-people can quad-wield wax axes, giant fishmen have the most HP, and frog people are good with magic.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #856 on: January 28, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »
finally got around to beating Xcom because once you start playing Xcom you can't be expected to play it in moderation. Thad was the psychic volunteer who wound up saving the world. And he was black. and Canadian.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #857 on: January 29, 2013, 03:02:25 PM »
Does anyone with a Steam account want a copy of DotA 2? I have it and apparently I've been given free copies to give out. I've got two going spare in case someone had been itching to try it.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 29, 2013, 03:54:43 PM »
I also have 3 copies so when you are out people can snag some from me as well.

I never play the damn game... I tried it, liked League of Legends more and moved on with my life.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #859 on: January 29, 2013, 03:54:58 PM »
I have 6 copies of DOTA 2.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #860 on: January 29, 2013, 05:33:46 PM »
I never play the damn game... I tried it, liked League of Legends more and moved on with my life.

You speak of my own life, sir. So far I've found one hero in DotA2 that I like and am actually capable of playing with any ability.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 29, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »
What is this DotA2 thing you speak of, and how does one play it?
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #862 on: January 29, 2013, 09:17:03 PM »
It's a MOBA game. There are five players on each side and you try to destroy each others' bases.

DotA is short of "Defense of the Ancients", which was a custom map for Warcraft 3, one of the first RTS games with 'hero' units. Basically each player is a 'hero' leading waves of minions which clash in three 'lanes' inter-cut with connecting passages. You gain gold and XP as minions and enemy heroes are killed, increasing mana, hp, and leveling up your abilities as you do so. Each lane is lined with defensive towers, which you need to knock down to each the enemy base.

It's a recent genre with DotA 2 being the heir to the origin. It's made by Valve and is basically just a graphically improved version of the original DotA. Other MOBA games include League of Legends, Smite, and Heroes of Northrend.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 30, 2013, 11:19:47 AM »
It's made by Valve and is basically just a graphically improved version of the original DotA.

Couldn't agree more.

I learned the Sharpshooter. He's insanely OP, there is a certain point where he can autoattack towers from outside their range.

Either way I'm Flawless P on League of Legends if you care to join me. I'm overwhelmingly average. As Mckma can attest to by the 1-2 game we've played together XD.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 01:25:29 PM by Flawless P »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #864 on: January 30, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »
I play Venom on DotA2. All passive except for the on/off power that augements attacks. Simple and dangerous. He's the only character I've ever won a game with. Hell, only one I've gotten a passive score with.

I thought I was doing well until I played Ranked. That is some rough competition. I'll probably friend you next time I'm on.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: February 07, 2013, 03:50:24 PM »
I have 6 copies of DOTA 2.

I have 4 copies left.

I am terribad at the game but if you want to try to do some kind of RPPR game it might be fun.

I've been wanting to get involved in said games but my computer is ancient and I'm on PST.

I am building a new machine in a few weeks though so maybe I'll join in on a game one of these days.

Leviathan

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Back-up singer for the Tusken Sound Raiders.
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 07, 2013, 08:29:59 PM »
I started up Max Payne 3 after holding off on it for a while and was extremely disappointed. Apparently loads of people like it, but I really disliked it. Introducing a cover mechanic and having huge battles mixed horribly with the old and awesome Max. At least the story was decent when it doesn't go full retard.

And I haven't played it yet, but I recently picked up Antichamber, which seems like a crazy ride.
Railroad Diary, a place where I occasionally put words.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 08, 2013, 07:23:14 PM »
I basically never used cover in Max Payne 3. It's there for people who REALLY need it, but you will still get shot from behind cover and it's better to keep moving to dodge bullets, even when not using bullet-time.

I didn't really have a problem with huge firefights, and I finished the game in Hard difficulty (sometimes I play a few levels in hardcore but haven't really finished the campaign a second time) and the difficulty was hard at times, but fair. With enough ammo, bullet time and reflexes you can get through all the game's challenges, even if you die a few times.

... Then again, I really like Dark Souls, so I'm not the one to ask about appropriate difficulty in videogames. :x

Teuthic

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 09, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
I finally got around to getting a copy of Deus Ex. I am amazed that the boring protagonist literally has built-in douchebag sunglasses.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 12, 2013, 01:07:34 AM »
Ive been playing omerta city of gangsters. Thats been fun has a city building style mixed with xcom light style combat missions. Been pretty fun.