Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996204 times)

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #1140 on: August 12, 2014, 12:24:02 PM »
Since Dark Souls was brought up in the newest RPPR podcast episode, I will say that this would be an AMAZING game to see played by the RPPR crew to post on Raillery. By that, I mean one person plays and one or more people commentate.

Yes, I'm serious.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: August 12, 2014, 03:39:17 PM »
On that note, just beat Dark Souls and have started Dark Souls II.  Not sure what kind of build I want to run with though....  Recommendations?

Personally I have found Demon's Souls to be my favorite, but it may be a bit of nostalgia of introduction to the "series"....

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #1142 on: August 12, 2014, 05:29:50 PM »
Faith build is amazingly good in Dark Souls II. I personally like Pyromancy in Dark I, which I'm playing now, but I also like magic and greatsword builds.

kanesoban

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: August 12, 2014, 07:14:17 PM »
Hey guys !

I was playing Dark souls recently on my pc. I decided that the 'only winning move is not to play' and uninstalled it after putting 23 hours in it. I finally gave up at the gaping dragon boss. I am sad that i actually payed 20 euros for it. Granted, some things were fun, but it just wasn't worth it for me with all the frustration.

Another game that i play a LOT and that i actually like, is called Wargame: Red dragon. I have to say that in all the years playing strategy games (since Red alert 1 came out) i have never seen an RTS this awesome. I like it as much as Ross likes zombies. I think anyone who is at least a little bit interested in strategy games should check it out.
It is a real time tactics game set in the late cold war (1980-1990) period. There is no resource gathering or basebuilding in it. It is purely focused around destroying your enemy via superior tactics.

Every single unit and weapon is modeled after a vehicle or weapon that existed in the real world in that period, and unlike in most other real time strategy games, modern weapons here are extremely deadly and have ridiculously long ranges: an average tank's cannon can easily shoot targets multiple kilometers away. Artillery can shoot tens of kilometers far, with the the longest artillery range being around 100 (!) kilometers.
The battlefields are gigantic (the larger ones are more than a 100 square kilometers in size).

The game allows you to build your own army (called a 'deck') from the units that are present in the game. In the game, you can deploy the units that are
in you deck. Did i mention that the game has over 1500 (yes, thats 15 with two zeros behind) units ?
The deck building part is actually so involved that it is like a minigame in itself. Much like building your character in an rpg.
The game has many unit types. To just name a few:
- various infantry (special forces, antitank, flamethrower, shock troops, etc.)
- tanks
- various vehicles (anti air guns, artillery, various troop transports, etc )
- helicopters
- aircraft (bombers, air superiority fighters, anti-tank planes, etc)
- ships (frigates, destroyers, etc)

Here are some screens from the game:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XybTzMDEiu0

Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh5dGGIQXn8

This game is easier than games like Starcraft in the sense that it doesn't require as much twitch reflexes and fast micromanaging. You also don't have to memorize build orders. It is slower paced then Starcraft, C&C, etc. On the other hand, it takes a fair amount of time to learn to effectively use your units (and also because there are so many unit variations), so it is a fairly complex game. Unfortunately the tutorials aren't very good. The best way to learn this game is through someone more experienced. If anyone wants to try it out then add me as a friend on steam (i am 'kanesoban'). I am sure i can help. :)

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: August 12, 2014, 09:21:58 PM »
Hey guys !

I was playing Dark souls recently on my pc. I decided that the 'only winning move is not to play' and uninstalled it after putting 23 hours in it. I finally gave up at the gaping dragon boss. I am sad that i actually payed 20 euros for it. Granted, some things were fun, but it just wasn't worth it for me with all the frustration.

It's completely okay to not like the game. I bounced off it hard after getting to Blighttown. Hell, everyone hates Blighttown.

I did not play the game again for three months, but something of the setting attracted me. So I read up on a noob guide, (never put points into Resistance, spend your souls on weapon upgrades) and took the plunge again with a second character.

While playing, I realized that I still remembered the strategies I used to beat the early bosses, and I made a lot of quick progress through the game.

And then that's where you realize that Dark Souls is a game about knowledge. Every death is supposed to teach you something new about the environment, so that you use that new knowledge and put it to use to achieve the seemingly insurmountable.

So what I'm saying is, if you ever feel like it, do give the game another shot. It is one of the most indepth games out there, and there's ample reasons why it has such a big following.

On that note, just beat Dark Souls and have started Dark Souls II.  Not sure what kind of build I want to run with though....  Recommendations?

Personally I have found Demon's Souls to be my favorite, but it may be a bit of nostalgia of introduction to the "series"....

I had tons of fun with a Strength build with a gigantic anime sword. I also used crossbows to give me a bit of ranged combat ability, but mostly relied on slow heavy swings that deal tons of damage and can hit multiple foes.

Similarly, if you're looking to test your mettle, try a dual-wielding build. It's incredibly viable in Dark Souls 2, so long as you are good at dodging attacks.

The 'easiest' build would probably be a hex user with a big shield on his offhand, but then again it is not that great for PvP unless you learn how to time your spell casting duration and how to lead the hexes through hit-detection lag.

also:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:35:39 PM by Dom »

fox01313

• fox01313 on steam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: August 24, 2014, 09:15:39 PM »
Mostly flipping between Skyrim (smelting all from steam workshop worth it btw) & a few other mmorpgs to find some fun while listening to podcasts as the game audio gets a bit tiresome. Though after revisting the Raillery Dead Space3 videos again full of the mystery of space candles & the fun near-Carcosa moments for Ross around #17, tempted to run through those again as there were some fun moments in that game as they got the creepy atmosphere right in the 2nd one with the space station.
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Thorn

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: August 27, 2014, 08:21:17 PM »
I'm a day late and a dollar short, but I finally got Payday 2 for PC.

Joven

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: September 01, 2014, 12:55:38 AM »
Re-re-watched the Caleb+Ross Dead Space 3 coop, played Dead Space for the first time 2 weeks ago, and started Dead Space 2 the other day.
Pretty cool games, a bit switch/fetch questy, but covers it up well, one thing that kinda aggravates me is the way it handles corpses.  Had many disappear before I could stomp them for the glorious glorious items, or harvest for spears to use as woppets.  And particularly in Dead Space 1, where I had a feeling there was going to be one of those corpse->necromorph converters in an area, so cleared out all the bodies, only to leave the area, come back and all the corpses are back where they were and are now turning into monsters.  Also, it stole Howard's corpse from me, just up and vanished while i was even looking at it, me and Howard were gonna do coop, at least I avenged him.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: September 04, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »
I'm waiting for the new Hoxton and Hoxton Breakout heist on Payday 2 at the moment, I've been playing Payday 2 a lot less consistently than I've been playing but I got to infamous 1 level 80 or so and just burnt out.

I'll still play with friends but I'm not gonna grind out rats and firestarter runs over and over like I've been doing.

Still just one more month till Shadow of Mordor is out and I lose all my freetime to it.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #1149 on: September 04, 2014, 09:28:46 PM »
They just upped how much EXP you get with every heist and also released a new DLC weapon pack with a grenade launcher.

fox01313

• fox01313 on steam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: September 06, 2014, 10:23:52 PM »
Just picked up Divinity: Original Sin off steam, take a big fantasy rpg & from what I've seen, mix in the X-com turn based combat, a fun yet completely silly looking stealth mechanic (where you pull a box or bush or whatnot over your character), the ability to throw things around the environment plus when you get into social moments with your pair of characters, you can pick contradictory positions then socially fight it out to see who wins.

Not sure if the Witch & Wayfarer are a good start but seem like fun, plus the Witch has two great skills to start, the ability of identifying things with Lore & the ability to talk to dogs or other wildlife. Now you can find out if Timmy really is trapped in that well or was pushed off a cliff instead by some animal.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/230230/
"That's funny, usually the blood gets off on the second floor." -Mr. Burns in The Shinning episode (Treehouse of horror V)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #1151 on: September 08, 2014, 12:36:13 PM »
I'm grinding through Dragon Age: Origins so I can play Awakening so I can load my save data into Dragon Age 2 and do a new playthrough of that "in continuality" with my original game leading up to the release of the third game. I forgot have damn buggy the game can be, especially the ending sections. On the plus side I'm seeing a totally different narrative path to the ending than I remember which is fun.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #1152 on: September 08, 2014, 06:56:05 PM »
I'm grinding through Dragon Age: Origins so I can play Awakening so I can load my save data into Dragon Age 2 and do a new playthrough of that "in continuality" with my original game leading up to the release of the third game. I forgot have damn buggy the game can be, especially the ending sections. On the plus side I'm seeing a totally different narrative path to the ending than I remember which is fun.

GET BACK TO WORK

Thorn

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: September 08, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »
Ahh Dragon Age 2 and those blasted recycled maps. 

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #1154 on: September 08, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »
GET BACK TO WORK

I'm sorry boss, don't hurt me!... Also just bought MURDERED: Soul Suspect because it's on sale for $15 in the Humble Store.