Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996155 times)

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #1215 on: June 14, 2015, 09:16:46 PM »
I bought Don't Starve Together, Prison Architect and a gift copy of Valkyria Chronicles. There goes the $20 I had pledged to spend during this sale.

Twisting H

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: June 16, 2015, 01:23:51 AM »
In the vein of

Going to just leave this here:

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

From SA poster Too Lazy to Stop

! No longer available

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #1217 on: June 24, 2015, 03:58:28 PM »
I've been playing a lot of Hearthstone on my phone recently. As an experienced Magic the Gathering player, it's a very interesting contrast in game design principles. The basic mechanic is the same (spend mana to play cards, which put creatures into play to attack your opponent's life total), but there are some really interesting differences that affect the style of gameplay. Basically, only the player whose turn it is ever has any actions or choices to make. You never actively do anything on your opponent's turn. This makes a whole lot of sense for an asynchronous phone game, where lag could affect your ability to respond to actions quickly. But it also has the effect of making offense extremely important, and controlling tempo (i.e. staying one turn ahead of your opponent, so he's reacting to your decisions instead of you reacting to his) the most important strategic concern.

So it's really interesting to see two very similar games that have a few fundamental differences that massively transform the nature of the game.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Thorn

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: June 28, 2015, 07:55:47 AM »
I know "you (I) never asked for this", but if you donate at least a dollar to charity you can get a free copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/26/donate-to-charity-get-deus-ex-human-revolution-for-cheap?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

Jacko

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Hrrrrrmmmmmm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: July 17, 2015, 10:05:42 PM »
I can't stop playing Duck Game, please send help.

It's a fantastic 16 bit side scrolling platform shooter (what a mouth full) that reminds me of Joust on the NES.  Just with quacking ducks and loads of guns and explosives and a non-stop pace.  It's really fun!  If you've got an Xbox or PS controller hooked up to your PC, I'd very much recommend it.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: July 21, 2015, 07:58:36 PM »
Anyone else super stoked for Sword Coast Legends? Game play looks great although I'm nervous about possibly getting nickle and dimed for classes races and tile/enemy sets.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:28:28 PM by Flawless P »
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Lordsloth

• View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: July 21, 2015, 08:27:48 PM »
I'm interested in seeing Sword Coast Legends, as a long-time D&D/FR gamer. Haven't looked into it much, yet.

Currently playing the Walking Dead adventure game, about to start Episode 3. Jesus, with the decisions. It's fucking nerve-racking!
Chados- the, uh... hands of fate.

BeyondSandrock

• Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #1222 on: July 22, 2015, 01:10:55 AM »
I'm interested in seeing Sword Coast Legends, as a long-time D&D/FR gamer. Haven't looked into it much, yet.

Currently playing the Walking Dead adventure game, about to start Episode 3. Jesus, with the decisions. It's fucking nerve-racking!

Oh, I completely agree with you. I tried making a Raillery video for the first season and failed miserably as I tried to make snarky comments and was stunned into silence.
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

Lordsloth

• View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: July 30, 2015, 07:13:52 PM »
Oh, I completely agree with you. I tried making a Raillery video for the first season and failed miserably as I tried to make snarky comments and was stunned into silence.

I just finished the main "Campaign" of Walking Dead(still have 400 days left to do), and holy shit- the feels.  :'( :-[

Awesome game.
Chados- the, uh... hands of fate.

Kamen

• View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: August 02, 2015, 08:58:56 PM »
While I loved The Walking Dead season 1, I found season 2 to be severely lacking, so your mileage may vary. I think my lukewarm response may have amplified due to playing The Wolf Among Us, Telltale's Fables game, and while enjoying it becoming vary aware of the seams and puppet strings within Telltale's particular style. Either way TWD Season 1 and TWAU Season 1 are both pretty damn good and very recommended.

Thorn

• View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: August 03, 2015, 05:36:36 PM »
Tales from the Borderland is ok, just nothing to write home about.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: August 03, 2015, 08:03:13 PM »
Tales from the Borderland is ok, just nothing to write home about.

I would agree.  It's decent fun if you like the Borderlands style, but at the end of the day it's basically a bunch of cutscenes from Borderlands (in terms of quality).

Twisting H

• View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: August 13, 2015, 05:56:14 AM »
I found a Lovecraftian Roguelike! 

Infra Arcana http://oryxdesignlab.com/infra-arcana/

Infra Arcana is a Roguelike set in the early 20th century. The goal is to explore the lair of a dreaded cult called The Church of Starry Wisdom. Buried deep beneath their hallowed grounds lies an artifact called The Shining Trapezohedron - a window to all secrets of the universe. Your ultimate goal is to unearth this artifact.

The theme and inspiration for this game comes mainly from the horror fiction writer H.P. Lovecraft. There is a Lore section on this site that describes some of his mythology. The game also draws flavor from various B-horror movies, as well as the first-person shooter PC game Blood.

Infra Arcana adheres to the virtues of the Roguelike genre - high replay value and challenging tactical gameplay.

The tileset and sounds are appropriately spooky.  Along with managing your health, you also have a spirit stat that functions as an integrated mana/second health bar. Casting spells costs spirit. Some monsters can strictly attack spirit. If your spirit reaches zero, you die.   

Instead of a hunger mechanic there is an sanity mechanic.  Sanity is broken down into two meters: Shock and Insanity, each on a 0-100% scale.

Enter a darkened room without a light source or see a cosmic being, you gain shock.  Wait too long around a level and you will begin to accrue shock as well.  Once shock reaches 100% you have a minor mental breakdown that can be anything from making noise because you are gibbering to having shadows appear and stalk you.  Upon reaching 100% shock resets to 0% and Insanity increases by a certain amount. If insanity reaches 100%, you die.  Reach the stairs for the next level however and your shock meter is set to zero, encouraging you to explore efficiently. 

Currently you can be a War Veteran, Rogue, or Occultist.  I recommend Rogue for your first few times since you start with a cloaking spell to escape enemies. 

In my second game I got cursed for kicking open the slab to an ancient tomb, grabbed a Tommy gun and unloaded drum after drum into Keziah Mason until the foul witch fell, found out that chopping apart reanimated corpses with an axe is a great way to gain shock way too quickly, drank an insight potion and identified an eldrich artifact that scattered my opponents around the level, threw knives at gun wielding cultists with varying success, watched an infected wound become diseased because I couldn't treat the wound in time oh god oh god the zombies beat down the door I spiked, and threw a bunch of dynamite at Major Clapham-Lee and his undead hoard only to eventually fall to their clutches.

Also, it's free.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 02:07:19 PM by Twisting H »

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #1228 on: August 13, 2015, 10:52:59 AM »
Infra Arcana, huh? Wow, I'm gonna have to get that.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Thorn

• View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: August 13, 2015, 08:05:46 PM »
I'm sold.  Thanks.