Author Topic: What Vidja games are you playing?  (Read 996231 times)

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
Re: What Vidja games are you playing?
« Reply #1290 on: February 22, 2016, 11:23:22 AM »
I hadn't played Darkest Dungeon since it was still in early access. At first I was afraid of the updates, but I feel they're balanced so that it adds more strategy. Glad I came back.
I've been enjoying the new content, too. It does require a bit more strategy than it did earlier. My stun-focused teamcomp still works great, though.  Plague Doctors are amazing now.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Adam_Autist

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #1291 on: February 22, 2016, 04:36:29 PM »
Had to stop playing Darkest Dungeon because it was around the time I started having anxiety problems.

Just read about Witch House the Lovecraftian xcom style game. Looks interesting.

HapexIndustries

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: February 23, 2016, 07:41:08 PM »

Just read about Witch House the Lovecraftian xcom style game. Looks interesting.

There's a Greenlight page on Steam, definitely worth voting for if the page is to be believed.  Unfortunately it looks like the only article regarding it is on Kotaku... but I won't hold that against the devs.

Greenlight page is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=627611079

Seeing this reminds me I still haven't picked up Hard West, which appears to be similar in a 'Weird West', not sure if anyone has tried it?

Also, finally started playing Alien: Isolation in earnest, about 5 hrs in and that pesky alien has killed me about 3 times, but those were pretty much all my fault for not paying attention.  Someone else mentioned the save system, which is a mix of checkpoints and manual savepoints; it's pretty goddamn far from my ideal of quicksaves, etc, and really only serves to prolong the game and make me take less risks/explore less but whatever, consoleitis strikes again.  I do appreciate that the game is simply GORGEOUS and totally recreates that retro-80s scifi feel from the first film.  The alien is pretty goddamned good looking too; it's amazing how well that design holds up but a hundred (or a thousand) years from now it will be just as otherworldly and terrible, truly an amazing achievement and a credit to Giger that will live on and on.

I'll admit that after 5 hrs of sneaking through ductwork and hiding in lockers I wanted to kill the hell out of some stuff, fortunately Borderlands 2 was still installed.

Lastly, I wanted to give a a strong YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY for PC gamers interested in the Steam controller.  I've been using it now for about 2 months and, well, let me just say it's a good controller and it adds a couple things to the controller scene that I really appreciate, specifically I really like the 'grip' buttons, which are on the back of the controller and would be pulled by your middle/ring/pinky finger, I really like the trackball emulation with forcefeedback, I really like the upward swinging 'wing' design, and the stubby analog stick is surprisingly versatile.  Also, it allows me to play dozens and dozens of slow paced and/or turnbased games on my big TV from the couch that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise, stuff ranging from point n click adventure games to 4X's to RPGs;  I've been playing Darkest Dungeon, Endless Legend, a whole slew of oldschool adventure games, and XCOM 2 from the comfort of my couch.  And now that the controller profile thing seems to be working better, it's pretty great to not only see which controller setups the community prefers for each game, but to also create, share, and save your own.  Beyond the physical functionality this is probably the best thing about the controller, especially when you consider how incredibly easy it is to reconfigure all the buttons and stick and trackpads (its really amazingly easy and useful, srsly).

On the down side, for me personally, I can not play some games at all, mainly twin stick shooters, but I have a terrible time with TPS and FPS games as well.  Now, I've watched my buddy rock the new Tomb Raider (and Mad Max and FO4 and a bunch of other stuff) with apparently no problem, but I just can't seem to get it myself.  I still plug in the old Dualshock 2 for those games (and unplug the Steam controller, because Windows doesn't seem to like having to choose between the xbox/ps3 controller and steam controller).  There are also a bevy of weird idiosyncrasies and bugs inherent to using the controller with steam, but the most recent controller update seems to have resolved most of them.

Anyway, if you play a lot of slow paced games or adventure games (apparently I have over 60 in my Steam Library alone) and wish you could do so on your tv and couch set up instead of desk/chair, it's totally worth the price.  If you're primarily playing action games, especially games that really benefit from a right analog stick, definitely try one first.

Jace911

• The President of Burp Head
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: February 24, 2016, 10:30:47 PM »
Having binged Dying Light and the DLC over the past couple of weeks, I have to wonder what the fuck happened to the writers between the main game and The Following. Highlight below for a spoilery rant.

Dying Light Ending: We're still trapped in the Harran quarantine zone and we only have a finite supply of Antizin left, but the crazy raider warlord is dead, the military isn't going to carpet-bomb us to stop the outbreak, and we have a genius doctor working on a viable cure! We have a chance!

Dying Light The Following Ending: Everyone ran out of Antizin and turned into zombies while you were out chasing rumors of a magic cure in the countryside, so you can either literally nuke everyone and everything in the city and surrounding area or you can try to bring a flawed cure to your friends as a last hope, which is already turning you into a sentient zombie. Oh, and you got turned around on your way back and ended up in another city, spreading the virus outside of quarantine. Fuck you.

It's even more bizarre because the Following's plot wasn't bad--I was even engaged and intrigued until the end where it suddenly sprang a bullshit binary choice on me, where the logical decision (Option B above) comes bundled with a contrived consequence as punishment for not picking the forced noble sacrifice. It left a very Fallout 3 taste in my mouth.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:34:26 PM by Jace911 »

HapexIndustries

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: February 27, 2016, 09:57:26 PM »
Picked up two games this week, both of which I would recommend.

Undertale

Undertale is pretty much this year's indie darling, a role played previously by Papers, Please, Braid, Super Meatboy, Minecraft, etc etc.  As is usual for this particular honor, the game is very very good.  Undertale is a experimental RPG that toys with gamer expectations, so though it appears to be a standard pixel graphics Earthbound-inspired RPG (perhaps even RPGmakerish), it is not.  The experience is perhaps best described as 'whimsical and charming,' at least those are the words I would choose.  It is also well written, funny, surprising, emotional, slightly disturbing... and excellent.  For 10$ (or less on sale) it is one of the best games I'll play this year.  My only regret is I didn't play it on release... and also that the game is not particularly long, lasting less than 10 hrs for most players.  Any actual description of the gameplay or story would be a disservice to you.  Suffice to say I am a jaded, monstrous old man at this point and it gave me feels. 

ARK Survival Evolved
ARK is this year's big crafting and survival title, apparently; the other big one I guess is 7 Days to Die, the zombicaust crafting/survival game, which I also own but have not really played.  ARK's big gimmick is that it's full of dinosaurs and looks pretty great and yeah, both those things are true and are pretty awesome.  The dinosaurs are probably the best I've seen in gaming, and you get to tame the bastards and ride them too.  It runs at about 30fps on my aging i7 with gtx960 on high, which really means I should drop the settings, but damn it's pretty.  The gameplay itself is good, as well, though a bit too grindy for me in general.  It takes long enough to get anything done in these types of games without artificial barriers to progress like level caps and such.  Still, I loaded it up thinking I'd screw around for 30 minutes and 4.5 hrs later I realized I'd be getting 3 hrs of sleep before work.  In that time I fashioned some simple tools (pick, axe, slingshot, torch, and spear), built a couple fireplaces and a sad little thatch hut, made a crappy set of clothes out of plant fibers, and killed the hell out of a series of progressively larger dinosaurs ranging from the tiny compys from Jurassic Park up to a duckbilled Parasaur and even a Styracosaurus, to say nothing of dozens of dodo birds and trilobites and coelecanths; I'll admit I may have taken advantage of some creatures getting stuck in trees but hey, that's life.

ARK is in Early Access on Steam, which means Beta, which means it has plenty of issues (my primary ones are related to optimization and controller support, which is good but imperfect), but there's already enough content to recommend the game, to say nothing of the multiplayer content (that I ignore).  It's normally 30$ but is the 'teaser' game for the March Humble Monthly Bundle, which costs 12$; the value was good enough for me at that price to give it a shot, and I still get 6 or so other games come next Friday.  I wouldn't spend 30$ on the game in its unfinished state but 12$?  I arguably got my 12$ worth last night.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: March 10, 2016, 01:12:48 AM »
Stardew Valley has its hooks in me.  Just bought it this morning and must have play 6ish hours. It's just so... pleasant to play. At first I was rushing around trying to optimize, but then realized I could slow down and just take it day by day and enjoy it. Kind of fun to think about it from a storytelling side, like I was the character scrambling at first but then adjusting to rural life....

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #1296 on: March 10, 2016, 06:09:54 AM »
Anyone else playing The Division? Quite good so far I just wish some of my mates would play.

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
  • I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: March 10, 2016, 11:38:24 AM »
Anyone else playing The Division? Quite good so far I just wish some of my mates would play.

Cthuluzord is playing. I'll be grading and podcasting most of the day, but I'll be on later tonight/this weekend.

Claive

• View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 10, 2016, 12:50:47 PM »
I picked up Disgaea PC because it looked vaguely final fantasy tactics ish and looked silly... it is amazing... why wasn't I playing this ten years ago when the first version of it came out?!
"No labyrinth is inescapable" -Gantz

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #1299 on: March 10, 2016, 03:19:08 PM »
Ironically have been saving up the last 2 episodes of Brutalists to listen to while doing side stuff in Division.

Disgaea is pretty amazing. Always got frustrated I couldn't play 3-4. 5 is on the ps4!

constructacon

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: March 11, 2016, 12:26:21 AM »
is anyone here playing Eve Online i just started and am trying to network.

Thorn

• View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: March 11, 2016, 06:55:34 AM »
After I spent 20 minutes in the line simulator,I finally got to play The Division for PS4.  If I can force myself to grade papers during my planning period, then I to will be playing this weekend.

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #1302 on: March 11, 2016, 07:28:57 AM »
I work sunday afrernoon and I got an RPG to run on sat evening. I'll try to make some time. Still kind of new to the whole online gaming thing. Inexperienced anyway.

Claive

• View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: March 11, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »
Ironically have been saving up the last 2 episodes of Brutalists to listen to while doing side stuff in Division.

Disgaea is pretty amazing. Always got frustrated I couldn't play 3-4. 5 is on the ps4!

I really hope to play the next couple of games.... but am not looking forward to having to buy a ps4 just for one game :-(
"No labyrinth is inescapable" -Gantz

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #1304 on: March 11, 2016, 12:28:02 PM »
If you have a PS2 you could probably a cheapo copy of Disgaea 2.

I was always frustrated that 3+4 were ps3 exsclusives despite looking like they would run on the ps2. Persona 4 hadn't even come out as the "final" ps2 game yet at that point.

what is the protocol for RPPR group stuff on consoles? Do I just send out friend requests scattershot? I looked a few months ago and there hadn't been established a group on Playstation like there is on Steam.

Forgive my ignorance. Social stuff isn't my forte in certain contexts.