Author Topic: Dark Sun Campaign  (Read 81337 times)

Seejo Crux

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Sun Campaign
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2010, 11:25:06 AM »
I didn't say I was necessarily coming back Lawful Good.

It doesn't count as Lawful Good unless you say what Law you're Gooding with. As far as I can tell, your character just hates evil - at least what he thinks is evil. Which makes him Neutral or Chaotic Good if anything.

I'm inclined to think that 'Lawful Good' in Dark Sun is an oxymoron since the bodies of Law are pretty much Sorceror-Kings who defile in the name of power. I guess the Veiled Alliance would be good and lawful in the classic sense.

Honestly, alignments are dumb. Allegiances are better. Fallout: New Vegas has the right idea with faction-based karma.

iceemaker

• Medium Aberrant Humanoid (Gamer)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2010, 12:15:06 PM »
And this is why I wait at least five years after an anime series is released before I begin watching it. Everybody fawning over the latest series really dissuades me from attempting to pursue it.

I suppose you could alter the definition of "Lawful Good" in a Dark Sun game to mean an individual that favors an ordered set of rules and regulations enforced by a governing body, but really. Even if all of the Sorcerer-Kings are overthrown, I seriously doubt Athasian society would ever be restructured into anything beyond a tribal system.
My avatar is Jade Harley from Homestuck. You really should be reading it.

Charlie72

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2010, 12:18:14 PM »

It doesn't count as Lawful Good unless you say what Law you're Gooding with. As far as I can tell, your character just hates evil - at least what he thinks is evil. Which makes him Neutral or Chaotic Good if anything.

I'm inclined to think that 'Lawful Good' in Dark Sun is an oxymoron since the bodies of Law are pretty much Sorceror-Kings who defile in the name of power. I guess the Veiled Alliance would be good and lawful in the classic sense.

Honestly, alignments are dumb. Allegiances are better. Fallout: New Vegas has the right idea with faction-based karma.
DnD has alignments because, at the end of the day, Pelor is Good, Orcus is Evil , and the Raven Queen doesn't give a fuck as long as you die on time. Though Dark Sun doesn't heve gods, I think they still have things of absolute evil.

Also, Lawful Good dosen't me "Local powers laws are always right".  A Lawful Good character would be nostalgic. The would remeber (past down through stories) that the world was not always so fucked up. They would try to bring that back, ever by working with in the system to change it, by going on a hopeless quest to restor the world, or by just having a code of honor. They would not steal food ,even if it was from a rich basterd. They not would kill a man in his sleep, even if he had cause great pain. Just because that was the way things used to be.

Of couse, it's more easy to throw so cool shade on and yell "RAW RAW, FIGHT DA POWA".
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 01:02:02 PM by Charlie72 »

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
I believe in 3rd ed, the definition of "Lawful" is that you follow a code.  For Good, it's typically the laws of man and for Evil it's something like "I don't kill women and children" or "I only steal money from the government."

Also (in b4 Ross)

THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ALIGNMENT DISCUSSION IN DARK SUN
THAT'S HOW HARDCORE DARK SUN IS

Seejo Crux

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2010, 01:04:49 PM »
Generally, D&D seems to follow the line of thinking that absolutes of Good and Evil can and do exist, so I guess it's possible to have a LG character anywhere, even if their own society considers them evil or lawless. So I have to concede on that.

I was tempted to say that history is so tightly restricted on Athas that nobody could be nostalgic about the better times, but I think the PHB and Campaign Setting make special concessions for that very thing. (Notably, PCs are always assumed to be literate even though most of Athas isn't.) So I have to admit that your so-called Nostalgic Hero can and would exist in Athas.

Plus, if a character belongs to a tribe, I guess they could be Lawful Good with respect to that tribe, even if that tribe's ideas on justice are far different from Pelor's. But again, I don't think D&D addresses such issues. Though I'm sure nerds will post in forums on the subject at great length.

Yes I know it's ironic, shut up.

iceemaker

• Medium Aberrant Humanoid (Gamer)
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2010, 01:35:48 PM »
On Athas, the lawful good people will hold a trial before murdering you and tossing your body in the ditches. That's how hardcore Dark Sun is.
My avatar is Jade Harley from Homestuck. You really should be reading it.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2010, 02:33:59 PM »
Alignment is important in D&D because the backbone of the metaphysical makeup of the universe relies on Good and Evil - celestials, demons, undead, etc have Good or Evil woven into their very being to mention magic items like holy avengers.

The way I see it, very few mortals actually get to a point where their alignment actually matters - only the most extreme good or evil mortals register on the same scale with angels and demons. So, unless PCs go way overboard, I don't care. It can be a tool for role playing but it's not an arbitrary 'you must do this thing in this way'

Hell, our latest episode is ALL ABOUT THIS TOPIC AND MAYBE YOU GUYS SHOULD LISTEN TO IT

lol

anyway

there was an undead mastodon from the Green Age in the last episode. It was hardcore.

Dom

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »
I enjoyed Aaron trying to play a Lawful Good character in the Dark Sun games because of how hard it is to play him. In a world such as Athas where death comes easy and the real law comes from autocratic sorcerer-kings, those heroes that try to be good are easily overpowered by those that look to their own gains. Lawful Good stops being a character bringing a character to justice by legal means, but by what he feels to be right in his strict moral code. And so Lawful Good becomes even more ruthless than ever before.

Though rarely I use motivational posters, this one is very fitting:

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2010, 07:34:26 PM »
honestly, who listens to the RPPR episodes? I can't stand one of the hosts and other one is just dull.

;)

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2010, 07:45:27 PM »
honestly, who listens to the RPPR episodes? I can't stand one of the hosts and other one is just dull.

;)

LQTM....

In all seriousness though I think I listen the the RPPR episodes more than I do to any of the AP's. I like relistening to the old ones every once in a while to keep that advice fresh in my mind. I like the Grand Theft Apperatus of Kwalish episode, as well as Min Max Pain.

Plus the Bad Player still makes me laugh so hard I tear up a bit.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »

;)

Seejo Crux

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2010, 08:25:21 PM »
Double-post woot.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 08:28:05 PM by Seejo Crux »

Seejo Crux

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2010, 08:27:15 PM »
If anyone believes in lighting bodies on fire, it's Captain America.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2010, 10:11:51 PM »

;)

I think I love Ross Payton more and more every day.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 13, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
why? because he can find pictures on the internet?  :-\