Author Topic: Coolest or lamest idea for a game  (Read 7226 times)

Addled GM

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Coolest or lamest idea for a game
« on: September 21, 2010, 06:59:06 PM »
Well I've run into a wall in my Savage Worlds game again, so I guess its time for a one-off.  I got the idea from an old KODT strip. Here's the setup.

WUSHU Rock and Roll:Ready to Rock

The Player characters in this each play a band member in a rock band named as they choose.

The point of the RPG is to have fun and go through the many misadventures of the rock band. The PC’s start out with a garage that they owe rent on, a band, and nothing else.  It’s up to them whether they succeed or fail, so be prepared to go far, far off the rails. How they decide to make it is up to them.

Examples of conflicts:

Some band from across town is invading your turf.  What you gonna do about it?

The roadies haven't been paid in three months.  Roadie revolt....

A music producer shows up.  How you gonna wow him?

The crowd is going ape shit.  They're crushing the people in front.

A group of bikers just started a fight in the crowd.  How do you stop them?

That security guard whose wife you slept with betrays you and gives your demo tape to the enemy.  At the battle of the bands someone else is playing your song.  What are you gonna do?

If anyone has an idea that they'd like to add to this pool go for it.  I'm looking for any semirealistic ideas.  Somehow I hope to work in Brick Top from Snatch though.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:04:15 PM by Addled GM »

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Coolest or lamest idea for a game
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 07:27:17 PM »
I actually don't hate this game concept, usually anything involving players being in a band together gives me a headache, followed by mulitple cringes as I read the concept, but this just seems downright fun for a comedy game.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 07:40:43 PM »
Combine it with your zombie apocalypse scenario.  It will fucking melt faces.

Shit, I'm gonna go run that right now.  Thank you for the most awesome idea ever.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:42:27 PM by crash2455 »

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:43:20 PM »
ladygaga 2.0!!!!!!!!!111111

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 02:05:07 AM »
In a more helpful tone, this sounds like it would be a pretty solid one-off.  I think you might want to work with another rules-light system, as Wushu tends to lend itself to combat-heavy sessions, or at least very silly things (for proof, look at RPPR's own "Saving the World Through Dodgeball" and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen '88" games).  I doubt that you're going for anything too serious, but it's much harder to run a down-to-earth game with Wushu.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:09:28 AM by crash2455 »

Addled GM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 01:38:50 PM »
I'm not so much shooting for down to earth.  I'm also not shooting for Mr. T eating gremlins either, but hey who knows.

With this scenario I'm just going for a fun one-off, and I chose WUSHU because I really like the dice pool mechanic for mook threats as well as the time limit rules.  The action portion of the game is most likely going to focus on what the band does to topple the current kings of metal in their city.  The nemesis battles on stage will be play offs ala the Devil Went Down to Georgia. When two bands face off the mook rules are used for the crowd and other complications (damn faulty stage props).  Action can occur cinematically simply because I'm dropping a band in that tries to eliminate them physically. This group will have little or no talent, so they make up for it by forcing others out.

The story structure itself is rather simple.  Start off small where the band has a few fans and let them go nuts trying to win popularity.  Have a few smaller band face offs.  Throw in a fight or two.  Stir well.  The climax of the story is of course the battle of the bands where they face off against the kings of metal in that town.    

I'm also hoping to use the complications rule a bit (much like the way it was used for establishing shots in the LoEG: 1988).  I see WUSHU as the perfect system for this unless there is another free (i.e. my players and I are nine-to-fivers, some with kids and little time to learn a new system) system that so seamlessly works for conflict resolution.

"more cowbell"
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 05:27:06 PM by Addled GM »

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:56:32 PM »
RISUS would also work.  You have more experience with it than I do, but I think it puts a bit more structure in the game.

The only problem with Wushu is that it is more likely to go to "Mr. T eats a gremlin" territory than RISUS simply because you want to keep throwing down more descriptions to get more dice, so you're probably going to run out of things to do much more quickly.

That said, you know your group better than I do, so do what you think is best.

Addled GM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 05:23:29 PM »
     I really like Risus and was originally planning to use it, but I read through WUSHU and really wanted to take it for a test drive.  Hopefully that curiosity doesn't blow up in my face. 
     Anyone have any ideas as to anything that I can add to these ideas.  Im thinking perhaps more than a one shot.  If it goes well I'll probably have to change systems simply due to a lack of leveling in WUSHU.