Author Topic: Dr. Who Idolization Thread  (Read 78935 times)

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Who Idolization Thread
« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2011, 02:13:04 PM »
Although I found the whole save him via remaing regenerations thing to be a horribly cotrived bull shit excuse for her not regenerating back after she saved the 10th Doctor.
Also he fucked up big time by bringing up the limit again. All they had to do was call the 13 regen limit a rule not a fact and boom no more worries about making up a plot to hastily explain why he can regen from 13 to 14. Hopefully she gave him all of her remaining regenerations so he gets a fresh start as it were.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2011, 04:18:11 PM »
So after watching this episode, I feel like I need to go back and basically watch every episode with the 11th Doctor again.  There's just so much stuff to try and follow and having weeks/months between episodes (not to mention school and all the other media I consume) I keep forgetting stuff and feel more confused than I ought too...

FrodoLlama

« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2011, 04:12:29 PM »
Although I found the whole save him via remaing regenerations thing to be a horribly cotrived bull shit excuse for her not regenerating back after she saved the 10th Doctor.

Actually, River said in Forest of the Dead that the [spoiler]electric shock (which killed her)[/spoiler] would be deadly enough to kill the Doctor and burn out all of his remaining lives. Even if she did have her regenerations, she'd still die. However, it wouldn't make much sense that she'd still be in the typical River-body when she could still regenerate between when 11 sees her and 10 does.

Also, the 13 regenerations thing is a fact. The Deadly Assassin, The Twin Dilemma, The Five Doctors, Unregenerate!, Zagreus, The Shadows of Avalon and the TV Movie all say the same, and nothing really refutes the idea. Of course, it's likely the show will find a way to get to Doctor 14, but that's a bridge to cross when we reach it. Besides, after [spoiler]being thought into existence by Amy[/spoiler] and [spoiler]being super-healed by River[/spoiler]. I'm not sure whether the Doctor's still technically the eleventh out of thirteen or if he might have restarted. After all, [spoiler]the Master wanted the Doctors regenerations in the Movie, which suggests they can be transferred, and River gave him the equivalent of nine extra lives in energy (Assuming from Mel's comments that she grew up, regenerated into the young girl, regenerated into Mel, and then regenerated into River as we know her today)[/spoiler].
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:14:18 PM by FrodoLlama »

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2011, 03:59:35 PM »
keep in mind it's just a show.
maybe we should just relax?

but yeah, i'm confused.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2011, 04:52:19 PM »
So another episode with very creepy things...

joe

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2011, 05:13:40 PM »
It was full of very creepy things, but when the source of creepy things was revealed and [spoiler]everyone turned back from being dolls[/spoiler] I felt it just became lame.  I think that Gattis understands what things are scary [spoiler]loss of self, echoey children's singing, weird moving dolls[/spoiler] but has no idea why they are scary.

FrodoLlama

« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »
I found the dolls a bit boring. They had a bit of a Gasmaskchild appeal, but they weren't especially frightening. Because of the trailer, I was expecting a big, complicated "Chimes of Midnight" story about dying and being resurrected over and over again, but instead I got... this. 

Also, I highly enjoyed the reference to The Seven Keys To Doomsday.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #112 on: September 30, 2011, 02:56:27 AM »
Just getting in to Doctor Who, started with the 5th, then skipped to the 10th doctor, and a smattering of the 1st season of the 11th. Currently I'm on the second part of Daleks in Manhattan.
It's a pretty exciting show I guess. I mainly watch it while playing Minecraft.

I'm going to attempt to go as the 11th doctor for Halloweenier. Just thought I should let you all know that I too like the doctor.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #113 on: September 30, 2011, 09:58:46 PM »
Just getting in to Doctor Who, started with the 5th, then skipped to the 10th doctor, and a smattering of the 1st season of the 11th. Currently I'm on the second part of Daleks in Manhattan.
It's a pretty exciting show I guess. I mainly watch it while playing Minecraft.

I'm going to attempt to go as the 11th doctor for Halloweenier. Just thought I should let you all know that I too like the doctor.

I'm surprised you never watched any of the 4th.  Baker is the most iconic Doctor.  Also some of his episodes were written by Douglas Adams.

Doctor costumes are as cheap as they are unrecognizable, as they are just clothes (unless you have show-specific props).  A couple years ago I went to a Halloween party as the 10th Doctor.  A lot of people thought I was just dressed up really nice.

BeyondSandrock

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Give Life Back to Music
    • View Profile
    • The BrightSide Lair - My Personal Repository for Stuff
« Reply #114 on: September 30, 2011, 10:54:49 PM »
Doctor costumes are as cheap as they are unrecognizable, as they are just clothes (unless you have show-specific props).  A couple years ago I went to a Halloween party as the 10th Doctor.  A lot of people thought I was just dressed up really nice.

If you are needing some ideas for costumes, here's a list of items that can help for each generation:

1st Doctor:   A walking cane, white wig and a smug sense of superiority.
2nd Doctor:  A bowl haircut, slide whistle and the eyes of a madman.
3rd Doctor:   A frilled shirt, a yellow roadster and a love for techno-babble.
4th Doctor:   A long multicolored scarf, a big white-guy fro and insatiable love of Jelly Babies.
5th Doctor:   Brainy specs, a stalk of celery and an obsession with Cricket.
6th Doctor:   Stolen Technicolor dreamcoat, 2nd generation white-guy fro and piss-poor writing (televised stories only).
7th Doctor:   A question-mark shaped umbrella, a Panama hat and a look in your eye that states "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die".
8th Doctor:   A bewildered look, Victorian-era clothing and a history that is mainly passed down through oral tradition.
9th Doctor:   A leather jacket, a thousand-yard stare and desire to see the fantastic in everything.
10th Doctor: Anything you can get your hands on.
11th Doctor: Anything you deem 'cool'.
"All of time and space, everything that ever happened or will happen. Where do you want to begin?"

FrodoLlama

« Reply #115 on: October 01, 2011, 10:25:41 PM »
Alright, for The Wedding of River Song, I loved the Doctor's escape from death!
And the Question. Oh, that couldn't have been any better. Now, we just have to wait until Christmas. Then, until Easter. This two-part season is a pretty solid idea. I don't exactly appreciate having two waits, but there's something to be said for streyching thirteen episodes over two seasons (in both meanings of the word).

Overall, I'd put this season in the same high esteem as Series 1 with 9th Doctor Christopher Eccleston- the days when the effects were good but not the focus, and the plots were amazing. This season was a collection of decent and good stories sandwiched between one massive, amazing arc. Can't wait for Season 7 (Part 1?).

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »
So yeah, I was behind and just saw the last two episodes yesterday and today.  Liked them and there's just such a fun pacing that a number of the finales have, like this one where there was basically the last 2-3 minutes where you see it come together...

Actually, it's very reminiscent of Mission: Impossible, which is another great show...

Salkovich

• Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2011, 07:37:53 AM »
I have become one of you.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »
I have become one of you.
Yes, good, good. Mwhahahahahahahahahahhahahah
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Darksaw

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • I'm a wizard, and that looks fucked up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »
I can't spoiler tag this image, so I'm just going to direct link to it. Don't click if you haven't seen the latest season!

http://i.imgur.com/dpXEG