Author Topic: System/Setting Intimidation  (Read 8214 times)

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
System/Setting Intimidation
« on: September 28, 2010, 08:47:29 AM »
Over the last few months I've been pouring over the New World of Darkness books including Changeling. I really like the system and the setting but I'm finding it incredibly hard to actually pin down anything that i can confidently use as a solid plot. I kinda get this feeling akin to when you try to imagine what came before the universe and you're consumed by existential horror.
I'm getting ideas but its nothing to pad out a full chronicle unless its a 'monster-of-the-week' special.
This is something I'm not very used to and I was wondering have any of you wonderful, beautiful, shining exemplars of Storytelling excellence ever had this issue with any system or setting?

Ryo

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: System/Setting Intimidation
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
This is one of the failing of NWoD (depending on your point of view). It favors monster of the week. My suggestion would be to focus on one game and think of it like you were making a dnd chronicle. CtL is fairly good for long term play. You can work on court intrigue, lots of in fighting in the face of a strong and fearful outside threat. At least at the start I would deal with True fae as only a boggie man. Changeling are people of wildly different views and opinions who are forced to work together for their own survival. That alone should supply a lot of potential drama. NDnD has very deadly combat, by playing in house the pcs can face different types/levels of challenges with less threat of dying than wondering around in the thorns fighting hobs.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 01:56:50 PM »
Changeling is based on fairy tales, myths and folklore, so use them as your starting point. Pick a fairy tale that resonates and build out from there.

If that isn't enough, post a fairy tale and I can nWod-ify it.

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 03:54:32 PM »
Changeling is based on fairy tales, myths and folklore, so use them as your starting point. Pick a fairy tale that resonates and build out from there.

IS THAT A CHALLENGE?!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 04:02:07 PM »

IS THAT A CHALLENGE?!

ur face is a challenge to look at  8)

but yeah

I guess so

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 07:48:50 PM »

IS THAT A CHALLENGE?!

ur face is a challenge to look at  8)

but yeah

I guess so

Totally not a nursery rhyme fairy tale or anything, but do you think anyone has ever made Fiddler on the Roof, gameable?
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Seejo Crux

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 10:12:52 PM »
Totally not a nursery rhyme fairy tale or anything, but do you think anyone has ever made Fiddler on the Roof, gameable?

The father could talk to 'God' and God could say "Kill your daughter. How dare she marry that man." And people can investigate it. And there would be singing! :D

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 11:04:55 PM »
Ross turned this crazy Brothers Grimm story into a game after I showed it to him, so I think he'll win any challenge you pose to him: http://portitude.org/literature/grimm/ft-moon.php

Moon zombies anyone. That's right. Moon zombies.

When, however, the pieces of the moon had united themselves together again in the world below, where darkness had always prevailed, it came to pass that the dead became restless and awoke from their sleep. They were astonished when they were able to see again; the moonlight was quite sufficient for them, for their eyes had become so weak that they could not have borne the brilliance of the sun. They rose up and were merry, and fell into their former ways of living. Some of them went to the play and to dance, others hastened to the public-houses, where they asked for wine, got drunk, brawled, quarreled, and at last took up cudgels, and belabored each other. The noise became greater and greater, and at last reached even to heaven.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:40:32 AM by Setherick »
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 11:17:04 PM »
Ross turned this crazy Brothers Grimm story into a game after I showed it to him, so I think he'll win any challenge you pose to him: http://portitude.org/literature/grimm/ft-moon.php

Moon zombies anyone. That's right. Moon zombies.
Freaking sweet moon zombies...and armies of heaven mmmmmh
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 02:12:55 AM »
I actually used that in the nWoD game I ran based on the Slender Man. Didn't quite mesh them right though.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 01:20:26 PM »
All my Changeling games have been based around musicals and plays. Sweeny Todd, The Phantom of the Opera, and an extremely obfiscated Romeo and Juliet.

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 03:45:50 PM »
Okay just cos Ross did ask for them and I'd love to see the alternative interpretations of them, heres a few choice Fairy Tales -

The White Snake http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Snake
Hans in luck http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_in_Luck
The Valiant little Tailor http://www.familymanagement.com/literacy/grimms/grimms15.html
The Giant and the Tailor http://www.familymanagement.com/literacy/grimms/grimms202.html

Consider the Gaunlet thrown.