Author Topic: First Time Call of Cthulhu players  (Read 14859 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
First Time Call of Cthulhu players
« on: April 16, 2009, 05:04:34 PM »
I'm gearing up for my first Call of Cthulhu game and I'm working on a bit of a problem.

Most of my players have no idea about any of the Mythos details. One players knows quite a bit but only about the higher beings, the various gods, rather than the smaller creatures.

I need to pick a good, lower on the totem creature for the characters to encounter towards the climax and I'm not sure what would be a good one for first timers.

wrotenbe

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • RAWRF
    • View Profile
Re: First Time Call of Cthulhu players
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 05:14:17 PM »
Ghouls?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 05:17:40 PM »
Serpent person. a mastermind and dangerous, but still a piker in terms of the mythos.

Byakhee. Check out this scenario to see how a single byakhee can be used for maximum effect.

wrotenbe

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • RAWRF
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 05:32:42 PM »
Speaking of which, I wish Pagan would put out 'Dig to Victory!' already. Shit was hot.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 05:40:55 PM »
Not for awhile yet. The comment says 2010.

I like the idea of starting with a Byakhee because it would make for a good way to build into something involving Hastur later on, if the players want to continue.

Is there a good story where they are used that I could read to get to know their place and function alittle better?

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 11:47:05 AM »
I'm gearing up for my first Call of Cthulhu game and I'm working on a bit of a problem.

Most of my players have no idea about any of the Mythos details. One players knows quite a bit but only about the higher beings, the various gods, rather than the smaller creatures.

I need to pick a good, lower on the totem creature for the characters to encounter towards the climax and I'm not sure what would be a good one for first timers.

I think not knowing about the mythos actually enhances the game. Every round is a sort of "what the hell are we doing?" situation.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 04:19:34 PM »
Oh I know. I'm glad most of them have no clue about the game. And the player who does only knows the gods and some about Deep Ones. Other than that he doesn't know a formless spawn from a dhole.

The idea is to try and keep it that way, to prevent the players from learning "the rules" by avoiding having rules for the monsters, especially the higher ups.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 05:02:39 PM »

I think not knowing about the mythos actually enhances the game. Every round is a sort of "what the hell are we doing?" situation.

That was my experience the first time playing CoC.

Ross: You're playing the leader of a Soviet exploratory team.

Me: Great.

Karee: I think we are fighting something supernatural. Maybe even a ghost.

Me: THERE ARE NO GHOSTS IN MOTHER RUSSIA!

I singlehandedly got everyone killed because of my devotion to the Party.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 05:11:29 PM »
Sounds like a Russian leader to me.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 05:16:49 PM »
Sounds like a Russian leader to me.

Oh yeah, I also horded all of the evidence in my command HQ, which put the party 2 hours game time behind and commanded the NPCs to actually perform the maintenance mission we were sent to do. I also contemplated shooting one of the other PCs for insubordination.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot something else. I requested that we play the scenario again with a different group of players so that I could play the character the exact same way and see how the other group reacted. Ross gave me the finger.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 05:22:24 PM by Setherick »
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 05:31:19 PM »
That's the kind of character I except to show up as an NPC later on.