Author Topic: Civilization V Sucks Ass!  (Read 17477 times)

Patrick

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • No federal minimum wage for kobolds!
    • View Profile
Civilization V Sucks Ass!
« on: September 28, 2010, 10:50:32 PM »
Wow, I thought Civ IV was bad...

Civ IV is nothing compared to the epic fail that Civ V is.

The graphics are gorgeous. The game play is all right. The basic mechanics of the game remain unchanged from Civ IV (which frankly dumbed down the mechanics to the level of your average chimpanzee), but man oh man is the combat awful.

I mean how could you Munson something as simple as combat!? Sitting down and playing Civ V for about an hour was like shitting your pants out in the desert: nobody is gonna bail you out of that situation.

Well, theres goes 40+ dollars down the toilet. I knew I should have bought Left 4 Dead II!!!
[Resistance Is Futile... Have A Great Day!]

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V Sucks Ass!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:10:10 PM »
I actually quite enjoyed the combat. Granted, I went tech mastery so every fight I was in was horrifically one-sided. Cannons don't do much damage to stealth bombers.

Although the management was dumbed down a bit from previous versions I thought it really helped late-game play. Older versions slowed to a crawl when it came to managing citizens at the later stages of play, whereas this only requires a strategy shift at the right time with maybe a little manual tinkering.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 01:03:45 AM »
I really liked Civ 4 I liked alot of the things they added, as well as removing some of the more annoying aspects of Civ 3.

I am looking forward to trying Civ V but I will be a bit more wary after reading that.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Atlas

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 01:28:01 AM »
Woah, woah, woah.

I love Civ V, it's a vast improvement on the last iteration. I love combat this time around, no more ultimate stack of doom, it actually takes a little bit of planning.

Sure, they made the game more accessible to people who've lived their lives in a cold, dark civless existence, which I don't have a problem with. Civilization is a product, thus if they want to make more money, they're going to "dumb down" the mechanics.

If you think it's too easy, play on a higher difficulty. If you don't like the newer Civilizations, play an older version.

Salkovich

• Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 02:07:29 AM »
Woah, woah, woah.

I love Civ V, it's a vast improvement on the last iteration. I love combat this time around, no more ultimate stack of doom, it actually takes a little bit of planning.

Sure, they made the game more accessible to people who've lived their lives in a cold, dark civless existence, which I don't have a problem with. Civilization is a product, thus if they want to make more money, they're going to "dumb down" the mechanics.

If you think it's too easy, play on a higher difficulty. If you don't like the newer Civilizations, play an older version.

This reads EXACTLY like a rational defense of 4E D&D

Which means you WIN at being a smart consumer!
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Seejo Crux

• High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 09:23:48 AM »
If I'm reading this correctly, the only thing you didn't like was combat. What exactly is wrong with it?

Patrick

• No federal minimum wage for kobolds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
Everything about the game has been dumbed down to a ridiculous level.

The great thing about the early Civilization series was it's complexity, it's depth and the level of micro-management that most "casual" gamers found annoying (there was an app for that, it was called auto-manage)...

Personally I loved unit stacking... This "one unit, one hex" garbage is really annoying as you can only bring so many "assault" forces to bear on a city. That's just my opinion...

The complexity of the original gameplay is what attracted me to the franchise in the first place. I really think the game hit it's peak with CIV III. Not only was it a beautiful looking game (for it's time), but it included all of the complexity of it's digital ancestors. If you didn't want to deal with a labor-intensive game, then you probably should have been playing Unreal Tournament or Halo...

Well, that formula got tossed out the window with CIV IV. They chopped and hacked the game into a freakish vestige of it's former glory. Everything was so simple... so nauseatingly simple! They sold the franchise out to sell more copies. I get it, I get the economics involved and that's why I'm lamenting my purchase. I should have stopped at CIV IV and washed my hands clean of the horrible abomination that this once glorious franchise has become.

If you like CIV IV and CIV V, good for you! I would love to sell you my copies of this crap game but thanks to DRM and "Steam" (I hate Steam!) my login is permanently tied to the game. Basically I bought the farm and now I'm stuck.
[Resistance Is Futile... Have A Great Day!]

Seejo Crux

• High INT, Low CHA. Tend to be social misfits.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 11:17:24 AM »
I wonder if any like-minded individuals will produce Mods to address this sort of complaint.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 11:50:12 AM »
I love love loved CIV III and even with that I have found playing Civ IV fun, I like founding religions, and I like the civics mechanic. I have heard complaints about the combat which I am less than enthused about, but I didn't go the direct military route often.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 03:11:16 PM by Flawless P »
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Doc Brown

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 02:20:51 PM »
The combat is the best thing about ciV. Stack of dooms were ridiculous and didn't make any sense. Further, the new HP system is far superior to the zero sum game that was combat in the earlier ones.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:39:55 PM »
i don't know about civilization but i've always been a big fan of Galactic civilizations 2!

Salkovich

• Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 11:29:14 PM »
i don't know about civilization but i've always been a big fan of Galactic civilizations 2!

Hells to the yes. I have sunk much of my life into this game, none of it wasted.
"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 11:49:22 PM »
hey guys dead rising 2 is pretty fun

Atlas

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 12:17:47 AM »

Can you tech rush in this Dead Rising 2?

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 12:23:47 AM »

Can you tech rush in this Dead Rising 2?

No, but you can use tech to rush zombies...