Author Topic: Minecraftian Stories  (Read 60199 times)

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
Minecraftian Stories
« on: October 04, 2010, 12:14:10 PM »
O hai guys,

Have most of you guys bought Minecraft yet? You fucking should.

That game is awesome. I had played Minecraft last year but the survival element takes it to a whole new level. I've already had some "Dwarf fortress: dying is fun!" moments as I was building myself a house inside a mountain and fell into a subterrean cave filled with giant spiders... A gruesome death quickly ensued.

The water and lava physics are pretty cool too, can't wait to accidentally flood my cave with either of those.

If you guys have stories or screenshots I'd love to hear/see those. Once the multiplayer is slightly less buggy, we should set up a RPPR server and build ourselves a huge dungeon (then remove all torches to have monsters spawn in it.)

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraftian Stories
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »
I popped in for a quick "see what the hype is about" with the free version, and even without monsters or anything I lost about 2 and a half hours building a house, with a basement and a secret tunnel exit back to the surface.

Who I was keeping that a secret from I still don't know, but it was very important that it be there.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 08:03:51 PM »
I think in the alpha you can rig a stepping  tile to a box of Tnt to surpris
e unwelcomed visitors. The only problem is that little farce will blow up half of your house.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:14:05 PM »
I have a game called dwarf fortress. It's like minecraft 'cept you get 100 miners, more dead cats, and it's free.

But I'm sure minecraft is cool too. I just don't want to spend money on it.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 10:25:58 PM »
I have a game called dwarf fortress. It's like minecraft 'cept you get 100 miners, more dead cats, and it's free.

so play the in browser free version, no enemies but still fun.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 01:15:59 AM »

I believe Minecraft won in popularity because its creator realized most people like graphics.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 01:18:35 AM »

I believe Minecraft won in popularity because its creator realized most people like graphics.

and playability

I mean - you can just pick up minecraft and start playing

whereas DF requires a unix style manual

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 02:47:24 AM »
and playability

I suppose.  I kinda forgot about that after I memorized the DF controls, but yeah that's a major problem too.  I kinda wonder what the turndown rate is on DF.  Probably something like Graphics > Controls > HOW DO I BUILD A GODDAMN BED > Death and mayhem.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 08:56:27 PM »
only phonies need decent controls and graphics.

ur all phonies.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 10:45:23 PM »
only phonies need decent controls and graphics.

ur all phonies.

ur mom is a phony

iceemaker

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Medium Aberrant Humanoid (Gamer)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 11:14:12 PM »
I was kind of hoping this topic would be about Lovecraftian stories set in Minecraft. But  this is cool too.

So, Minecraft is basically Dwarf Fortress without the ASCII? I am the last person to give a crap about graphics, but DAMN. I could not play DF for more than five minutes without developing a headache.
My avatar is Jade Harley from Homestuck. You really should be reading it.

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 01:37:30 AM »
It's actually pretty different from Dwarf Fortress.

<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

If you can get past the graphics, you'll find how awesome it is.

Nice trolling there, Kroak.

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 02:32:31 AM »
I paid Notch for the privilege of playing his wonderful game shortly after Penny Arcade did a couple of strips about it. The game is electronic crack, the best / worst kind of habit-forming drug since WoW, and a lot cheaper.

The first world I played in, I built myself a tower. A fucking tower. It rose gracefully into the sky, higher and higher with each passing day. But every morning, there were creepers waiting on my front lawn--giant, green, exploding cocks with faces, for Christ's sake--just waiting to destroy my stronghold. At least two of them every morning. Eventually, I grew tired of filling in the craters and repairing the damage, so I built myself a perimeter fence and grew quite adept at killing the motherfuckers while standing well behind it. I eventually drove the bastards away, but the game had a cruel twist of fate in mind for me: as I was mining out a stone cliff face for more cobblestone with which to build my ziggurat, Minecraft froze, and when I restarted it, it spawned me inside of the solid rock I'd just spent most of an hour demolishing. I tried to dig my way out, but digging was futile. When I died, all my gear was left inside the mountain. If some forgiving quirk in the game physics forced it out, I was never able to find it.

And the sick part is? That only made me want to play more!

and playability

I suppose.  I kinda forgot about that after I memorized the DF controls, but yeah that's a major problem too.  I kinda wonder what the turndown rate is on DF.  Probably something like Graphics > Controls > HOW DO I BUILD A GODDAMN BED > Death and mayhem.

Agreed. I tried to pick up Dwarf Fortress a while back, but I realized ten episodes into a fifty video plus length YouTube tutorial that I had no idea what the hell I was doing. It wasn't just the ASCII graphics that soured me on DF; I could have gotten past that if the game's learning curve wasn't quite so steep.

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 04:26:42 AM »
Agreed. I tried to pick up Dwarf Fortress a while back, but I realized ten episodes into a fifty video plus length YouTube tutorial that I had no idea what the hell I was doing. It wasn't just the ASCII graphics that soured me on DF; I could have gotten past that if the game's learning curve wasn't quite so steep.

I've never watched the Youtube tutorials.  I just use the DF Wiki.  It's super useful as it provides detailed instructions and super quick reference.

It's actually pretty different from Dwarf Fortress.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.  This game is pretty much the same as DF: It's dedicated to mining and creation based on that which you mine, people often build megaprojects once they've sufficiently dealt with the initial threat, and you need a wiki to figure out how to get started.  It varies slightly in that it's from a first-person perspective, is more intuitive than DF control-wise, has full 3D out the ass, and I imagine its creator will probably make more than $1000 a month from it.

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 04:28:55 AM »
We should totally have an RPPR forumite survival multiplayer night.  Just saying.

Also, I saw this and just about shit my pants:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 04:33:14 AM by Sean-o-tron »