Author Topic: Ask the sage - old D&D advice database  (Read 6316 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Ask the sage - old D&D advice database
« on: October 13, 2010, 01:49:42 AM »
http://jgrimbert.free.fr/add2/advice/?order=id&debut=0

In ADVANCED DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, how much damage do bows do?

None. Bows do not do damage, arrows do. However, if you hit someone with a bow, I’d say it would probably do 1-4 points of damage and thereafter render the bow completely useless for firing arrows.

How can I spice up my D&D game? My players, as well as myself, are tired of going on dungeon and outdoor adventures. I don’t have any city maps and I really don’t want to bother with them, so what else is there left to do?

Well, you can ask your players what they would like to do. They probably have all kinds of ideas. In my campaign I had a similar problem, and now one of my players is trying to become Pope. So, just ask them. I am sure they would be more than glad to help. Remember, they are not the enemy. They are your friends and more than likely they will be glad to stick their nose into the campaign and give you their advice. It is only human nature to do so.

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
Re: Ask the sage - old D&D advice database
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:42:28 AM »
How can I spice up my D&D game? My players, as well as myself, are tired of going on dungeon and outdoor adventures. I don’t have any city maps and I really don’t want to bother with them, so what else is there left to do?

Well, you can ask your players what they would like to do. They probably have all kinds of ideas. In my campaign I had a similar problem, and now one of my players is trying to become Pope. So, just ask them. I am sure they would be more than glad to help. Remember, they are not the enemy. They are your friends and more than likely they will be glad to stick their nose into the campaign and give you their advice. It is only human nature to do so.

I've been doing this with my players since the first session of our campaign.  We've been playing since July, and I've gotten a grand total of 2 ideas from one of them (one was useful, the other was "Give us more weak guys to fight").

Quote from: Question 4
In our town of Terre Haute, there is an eighth level paladin that has a favorite saying, “Repent or Die.” On one occasion he pulled back the arm of a captured orc, placed a Ring of regeneration on his finger and then ripped his face off. When the orc’s face healed, he would do it again. He says he has a valid right to do this, because torture was very much a part of the inquisition and he is saving the orc’s soul. This raises two questions. First, is the paladin still a paladin and if not, is he changed forever?

God, one of my players was like this in my M&M game.  They had just captured a member of a crime family and the police gave them first crack at the interrogation.  The first guy (who has healing) pops in and says he wants to start cutting off the person's arms and legs.  Like, not ask any questions first or rough him up.  Just cut off his arms and legs and then regenerate them and do it again.  I tell him that as he pulls out his bonesaw, the cops drag him out of the room.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 11:54:08 AM »
When an offensive spell’s range is “touch,” does the touch have to be with a hand?

Yes.

The next logical question is, of course, "Does it have to my the caster's hand?" And then "Does it have to be attached to the rest of him?"

Also, "Does a fistbump count for the touch?"
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:55:45 AM by Tadanori Oyama »

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 02:59:02 PM »
Answer for #34 - ELVES DO NOT HAVE SOULS.  IT'S FUCKING CANON.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 05:10:40 PM »
Is there such a thing as a lawful neutral Paladin? We have a dwarf who is one.

No, there is no such thing as a lawful neutral Paladin— and, for that matter, there is no such thing as a dwarven Paladin. All Paladins must be human and must be lawful good in alignment. 

I like this one.
"We have a dwarf paladin in our group..."
"No you don't!"

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 05:19:33 PM »
We are having an argument over an issue that has us divided. My friends say that with a ring of telekinesis they can make an arrow spin at the speed of light and then release it, having it do between 100 and 600 points of damage to their target. I say this is impossible! What do you think?

Predecessor to the Peasant Railgun?