Author Topic: Intra Player Conflict  (Read 10529 times)

Bronnen

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Intra Player Conflict
« on: October 15, 2010, 01:12:00 AM »
I have two new players in my All flesh must be eaten game.

For some reason they don't want to explain or talk about, they can't stand each other.

From what I've gotten, it's because both don't know how to use the system, but one thinks he does and grows impatient with the other player who doesn't understand what it means when we say "make a perception roll"

So far i'm trying to actually solve it with them, but since they are both friends, I don't want to side with one over the other. Any advice on how to deal with this?

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
Re: Intra Player Conflict
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 01:34:43 AM »
Try talking it out?  Figure out what each of them wants from the other one and try to reach a compromise.

You mentioned one player not knowing game terminology.  If it's just a rules thing, you should go over the rules more clearly with that player so that they're not so confused in the future.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 11:47:19 AM »
I deal with this every week, two of my friends butt heads constatly.

If one of them even phrases something wrong the other one jumps down his throat about semantics.

It can be very frustrating. We managed to smooth over a bit of it in our last campaign by making them brothers in game. It actually made things worse for like 3 sessions but then the DM and I told them they were disrupting the game by fighting over petty crap.

They fought so bad once(in character) that they beat each other with saps until the guards came and arrested them in the street.

They were Dwarves and one brother had given into curiosity while the rest of the party was fighting. He was out of the combat for 3-4 rounds which at level 3 it kinda sucks when the Barbarian leaves an already challenging encounter. The Fighter(his brother) took great offense to being ditched and I gave him an idea for a way to role play this instead of sniping at each other all the time. I told him to grab his brothers beard and cut it off. "I will forgive you when it has grown back." One Barbarian rage later and they are both in holding cells cursing each other.

It wasn't until our DM explained to him that his brother cutting off his beard was a devastating thing and instead of being angry he should be hurt, and more aware of his brothers feelings.

Strangely this OOC coversation turned from there characters hating each other to a luke warm co-operation, which finally became some of the best role playing either of them has ever done.

tl;dr Talk things over, tell them how and why they are being disruptive. Do so sperately at first, but none of the he said she said stuff or it will just get worse.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 04:34:59 PM »
Force their characters into a situation where they must rely on each other and if they can't, kill their characters.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 05:09:32 PM »
Force their characters into a situation where they must rely on each other and if they can't, kill their characters.

Box of pain?

Salkovich

• Concupiscent Piranha of the Apocalypse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 06:32:16 PM »

Box of pain?

Box of pain FOR their box of pain.

"It's heresy. Burn the heretics." - Ross Payton NEVAR FORGET
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 04:54:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Their arguing has gotten so bad that other players are leaving just because of that.

I'm thinking of just kicking them both out if they can't co-operate or figure things out.

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 06:01:44 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. Their arguing has gotten so bad that other players are leaving just because of that.

I'm thinking of just kicking them both out if they can't co-operate or figure things out.

If everyone is having that big of a problem with it, get everyone together and tell the two offending parties.

"I'm your friend but you two are being fucking ridiculous and no one wants to play with you guys anymore, so shape up or get get the fuck out. Oh and by the way, this is a safe place" Then let the other players tear them apart.

Or you can try a nicer tactic, but if it's splitting up your whole gaming group just be assertive and tell them to get their shit together.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:42:34 PM by Flawless P »
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »
If everyone is having that big of a problem with it, get everyone together and tell the two offending parties.

"I'm your friend but you two are being fucking ridiculous and no one wants to play with you guys anymore, so shape or get get the fuck out. Oh and by the way, this is a safe place" Then let the other players tear them apart.

Or you can try a nicer tactic, but if it's splitting up your whole gaming group just be assertive and tell them to get their shit together.

This.

Alternately, run a game of Paranoia.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 07:33:58 PM »

hide the knives first tho

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 07:40:52 PM »

hide the knives first tho

I suggest a pool-noodle duel.
"If you are asked, 'Would you like Abraham Lincoln', your answer is always YES."

Bronnen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »
Ha ha. Those pool noodles are awesome! Maybe a shopping cart pool noodle duel.... With rockets.

Salkovich

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 02:21:35 PM »
Ha ha. Those pool noodles are awesome! Maybe a shopping cart pool noodle duel.... With rockets.

Kind of defeats the purpose, but ok. POOL NOODLE ROCKETS

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 02:52:45 PM »
TWO MEN ENTER.  ONE MAN LEAVES.