Author Topic: The RPPR Know Evil Fan Creation Contest  (Read 194017 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
The RPPR Know Evil Fan Creation Contest
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:34:50 PM »
To celebrate the Know Evil Eclipse Phase campaign, RPPR is proud to announce the Fan Creation Contest. Last fall, I commissioned an artist to create a poster depicting the principal cast of Know Evil. I had some posters printed as well. It was primarily intended as a Christmas gift to Caleb and as a thanks for running such a great campaign. I had a few extra posters printed and I'd like to give them to the most dedicated Know Evil fans out there. I have 3 posters that I will mail to anywhere in the world and each poster will be signed by Caleb, me, and several other players in the campaign.

TO ENTER: Create a piece of fan art or fan fiction about Know Evil. It must be R rated or less - please no rule 34 material. Do not insert material from copyrighted settings without permission (sorry but no adventure time/Preston crossover fan fiction). It can be serious, funny horrific, or whatever you want to do.

TO SUBMIT: Post your entry in this thread! You may post a link to an external site (Deviant Art, your blog) but you must post in this thread to have your submission count.  Please label your post though - something like MY SUBMISSION FOR THE FAN CREATION CONTEST would be nice.

TIME LIMIT: The contest will officially close 24 hours AFTER I post the final episode of the Know Evil campaign on RPPR Actual Play.

JUDGING: Each player in the Know Evil campaign will vote for the top 3 submissions. Caleb, as GM, will get 2 votes each for his top 3 submissions. Ties will be decided by a runoff vote.

You may comment and discuss the contest in this thread.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: The RPPR Know Evil Fan Creation Contest
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:09:20 PM »
I must win this. I must learn to draw...

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 11:40:20 PM »
For written entries, word count?
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 12:04:52 AM »

Many.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 12:09:11 AM »

This is about quality, not quantity. Write however many words you feel is necessary to tell your story. However, I would recommend writing at least 500 words and no more than 10,000 words, because your entry will have to be read by the judges. If they don't read the whole thing, then they probably won't be as inclined to vote for you as a shorter piece.

Of course, if someone writes a 100,000 word epic about Preston Crowley's fan club, we'll probably vote for you because holy fuck that is a lot of words. Alternately, if you write a series of brilliant haiku poems about Fei Yin's criminal background, then that may win.

The other judges are free to express their preferences and dislikes in this thread of course.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 01:19:20 AM »
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

This is obviously not an entry but whenever I hear this song now I think of Bartleby.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 03:41:29 AM »
Yay!

And dam...Now I have to figure out a way to make myself creative.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

ThadExMachina

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • I put these words inside your brain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 04:39:25 AM »
Aww... I'm sad that I can't sign the poster.
(I assume. Unless the last episode is posted in July, which I kinda doubt.)

But I'm totally willing to send the winners congratulatory postcards from China.
"You who read me, are you sure you understand my language?"
--Jorge Luis Borges

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »
Well let's see.

An episode comes out every 3 weeks, give or take. 21 was the latest. Venus and Moon took 7 or 8 sessions apiece to do so if Earth Orbit tier is roughly the same length and also the last in the series than we'd have around 21 weeks until the last episode is completed. That puts us around June 3rd for the end of the series.

Of course, that assumes Earth tier is roughly the same size as the others and that Ross doesn't change his posting schedule, which might well be flawed assumptions.

Cthuluzord

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 03:55:56 PM »
Ross told me he'd be changing the posting schedule. I'll let him explain it in case something has changed since then, but I'm pretty sure episodes will be more frequent.

Henry Hankovitch

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 07:28:12 PM »
Know Evil certainly presents certain...challenges?  Opportunities? ...when it comes to fan art.  Considering all of the main characters have swapped bodies multiple times, swapped genders...hell, I'm not even certain what the main roster of the team is.  Bartleby, Preston, SAIROC, Fei Yin, Gerard... I think that's it, aside from one- or two-session characters. 

I'm gonna have to do a bunch of re-listening just to try to get a sense of whose morph looks like what.  Oh, the humanity!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 07:30:31 PM »
the Eclipse Phase games are available as free PDFs and most of the morphs are depicted in at least one picture.

You might want to focus on a scene from the game for fan art - the lunar TITAN boss fight for example.

Joven

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 10:32:20 PM »
If I had any measure of artisticness (cant even do stick figures) I'd just draw a compilation like if an accident happened at a firewall backup facility and the PCs backups merged into a single being they needed to hunt down.

Just an octopus with crazy eyes clutching a copy of Alice in Wonderland, inside a healing vat with a cowboy hat on top, that has robotic spider legs and a jet pack thats sparking.

Capitalocracy

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »
How Know Evil-y does this actually have to be? A story idea had recently occurred to me that I was thinking of writing up, and it is of course heavily influenced and inspired by the Know Evil campaign, but including the Know Evil characters would be kind of shoehorning them in... does it have to feature Know Evil elements or can it be Know Evil in spirit?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 03:18:15 AM »
How Know Evil-y does this actually have to be? A story idea had recently occurred to me that I was thinking of writing up, and it is of course heavily influenced and inspired by the Know Evil campaign, but including the Know Evil characters would be kind of shoehorning them in... does it have to feature Know Evil elements or can it be Know Evil in spirit?

It actually has to incorporate Know Evil as a substantial element of the story.