Author Topic: A Study in the Logic of Gaming  (Read 142374 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: A Study in the Logic of Gaming
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 03:04:57 PM »
Copying myself here - rules of D&D etiquette from a player's perspective

Assert your dominance by attacking the first character you meet.

If you roll a natural 1, ignore it and reroll it until you get a high number. Say the other rolls were practice rolls.

Talk about Naruto. Especially if you have no idea what a naruto is. Make things up. Yell at anyone who corrects you.

If you die or take damage, flip the table over, scream, and lock yourself in the bathroom. Refuse to come out until your character gets a bag of holding and an apparatus of Kwalish. When you come out, announce the apparatus of Kwalish is useless and you want to sell it so you can buy a holy avenger.

Roll up characters when it is not your turn. Have the secondary characters join the party as your loyal minions. Attack any player who talks back to you.

Make fun of other players who have backstories for their characters.

Write a ten page backstory for your character. Make sure it involves time travel and Star Trek. Pro players always do this.

Buy cattle, pet dogs, cats and other animals. Use them to detect traps. Use whatever healing magic you have on them before any other player characters.

Other players will respect you more if you show up in character, especially if you're playing a deaf mute monk with alcohol fetal syndrome and anger issues. They will be impressed by your acting ability.

Speaking of booze, be sure to bring some and drink when your character is in a tavern. Roleplay your attempts to start a bar fight with physical demonstrations.

Carry a real sword to the game.

Use the real sword to execute dice that fail you by rolling poorly.

Don't let the police get in the way of real roleplaying.

Make sure your character has the alchemy skill. Invent gunpowder.

Set up sweatshops filled with whatever goblins or orcs you capture and invent the assembly line.

To show how good your character is, adopt some orphans and have them become your apprentices or squires. Children provide half cover.

Offer to join whatever evil army or cult you are tasked to defeat. Demonstrate your commitment to evil by killing your apprentices or squires.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 03:11:04 PM »
This is the kind of stuff that should be in Tom's next letter. :)

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 03:43:23 PM »
I strongly encourage a game where we get really drunk before hand. I have never played a game whilst drunk, and I really want to just once.

Then again, I had a player that was drunk once it was really annoying.

Lastly, I still think we should hire a prostitute and play D&D with her.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 04:21:42 PM »
I've been rereading DM of the Rings and found some fun advise from Shamus Young for the DM side of things:

What can you do when your players are about to do something astoundingly dumb because they aren’t thinking things through? There are many possible solutions.

Use an NPC to nudge the players in the right direction.
Give the players hints out-of-character.
Allow them to do the stupid thing, then laugh at them later.
Find smarter players.

#4 is obviously the wrong answer. Having players smart enough to outwit you is a tremendous pain in the backside. Don’t make that mistake.

Oh, adding this one too:

"When it comes to rolling dice, there are two types of players: One likes to avoid risk, and takes comfort in the cold, hard reality as defined by the shape of the bell curve and their advantageous position on it. The other kind wants to defy death and live against the odds at every possible moment.

These two types almost always end up in a game together. Sooner or later the death-defier rolls badly and dies spectacularly. Odds are that the more reserved, practical members of the team will follow suit moments later.

I find this to be hilarious."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 08:00:07 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
I strongly encourage a game where we get really drunk before hand. I have never played a game whilst drunk, and I really want to just once.

Then again, I had a player that was drunk once it was really annoying.

Lastly, I still think we should hire a prostitute and play D&D with her.

Yeah, everyone has to be drunk. I already sent my anecdote about the game where we were pissed drunk with the guy who cut out a ninja out of cardboard and waving it around while describing his action. Some of my friends often game drunk. Once, one guy played a dragon with an amazingly small penis so he took the paladin and tied it to its crotch to compensate. The other guy was a wizard who could cast an infinite of fireballs, he came upon a potion, drunk it to realize it made him puke to death. He never did died, he just puked and puked and puked. I think he was tied to the dragon's tail or something.

I would have to use gloves to remove the prostitute's dices from the table and throw them in a trashcan afterward.

wrotenbe

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • RAWRF
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 09:49:19 PM »
Inbetween rolls, talk about WoW.

During your turn, talk about how what you're doing relates to something you do in WoW.

Define your character, the setting, the other party members and the encounters in terms of WoW.

Try to hurry the game so you can get back to WoW, or say you're going to leave early because of something you need to do in WoW, then end up staying later than usual because you're talking about what you've been doing in WoW.

In short, don't come to game, come to talk about your real hobby: WoW.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 10:16:08 PM »

During your turn, talk about how what you're doing relates to something you do in WoW.

Define your character, the setting, the other party members and the encounters in terms of WoW.

Try to hurry the game so you can get back to WoW, or say you're going to leave early because of something you need to do in WoW, then end up staying later than usual because you're talking about what you've been doing in WoW.

ffffuuuccckkk those guys

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 11:27:34 PM »

For those unfamiliar with WOW, talk about how everything in the campaign is just a ripoff of Lord of the Rings even if it isn't. Any wizard is like Gandalf. Any main villain is like Sauron.

Demand that every fight be with orcs or goblins.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 11:39:24 PM »
Try to have sex with every and all NPCs at all time. It's great for character development.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 12:25:34 AM »
Try to have sex with every and all NPCs at all time. It's great for character development.

I'm done defending myself on this topic.

I've been a great role-player and then I make one character and all my street cred is lost.

Zeernebooch

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 02:26:10 AM »

Yeah all of my players were sooo deep into WoW when I started running my game that this happened a balls load until the fourth or fifth session >.<
nothing is more annoying to me than having your D&D compared to WoW constantly. Lucky for me none of them said anything about hurrying up so they could get back home and play it.
Thank Christ most of my group have stopped playing WoW or are "taking a break" form it....
Welcome to dying! I don't let it out! Welcome to dying! Look to the mirror it
shows what I am! Welcome to dying!This town must burn now! Welcome to dying!
Can't you see the dragon's seed bears in me, the one who's been before!
-- Welcome to Dying by Blind Guardian

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 02:40:41 AM »

I've been a great role-player and then I make one character and all my street cred is lost.

:-\

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 12:27:56 PM »

I think it was great for your character's developement. Now everybody knows exactly what kind of dude he is and it lead to the amazingly entertaining "debate" over your character being a dick or not.

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2009, 09:59:09 PM »
I meant, try to have sex with ALL NPCs, regardless of race or gender.

Anything that can be counted by hand doesn't cut it.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 11:24:47 AM »

I think it was great for your character's developement. Now everybody knows exactly what kind of dude he is and it lead to the amazingly entertaining "debate" over your character being a dick or not.

Thank you. I appreciate it.