Poll

Which is better for Generic Roleplaying

GURPS
0 (0%)
BRP
4 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: GURPS vs BRP  (Read 9160 times)

VampireVladd

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
GURPS vs BRP
« on: June 25, 2010, 10:07:05 PM »
The main reason I am asking this question is because I just got my wife interested in RPG's and I wanted something simple to play an X-Files type game. I have alot of GURPS books but creating characters is insane with those rules. I know that That BRP uses basically the same rules as CoC and I could run X-files game easily with CoC. So which one is easier for newcomers? Should I shell out the cash for CoC?

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: GURPS vs BRP
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 10:18:25 PM »
I'd get Delta Green as well.

In all honesty BRP is far less complicated than GURPS, but GURPS characters and combat is a whole lot more interesting.

BRP is prob. best for newcomers.

VampireVladd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »
Oops I just realized I might have posted this in the wrong Forum... I feel retarded now.

Connallmac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:31:09 AM »
Also, you can download the basic rules for CofC for free from Chaosium at http://www.chaosium.com/article.php?story_id=87 . They even give you a choice between a color version and black and white. It even includes the free adventure "The Haunting", which is an essential classic of CofC. Hope that helps!

VampireVladd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 11:46:59 AM »
I downloaded those basic rules, Thanks. While I was at my local used book store and bought the basic D20 CoC book. Its not as easy as chaosiums but it gets the trick done.

Connallmac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 12:01:46 PM »
You're welcome. I've found Chaosium's BRP to be a nice basic tool kit for running games, especially for those who are new to role playing games. Most people can grasp the concept of a % chance of doing something.