Author Topic: HIGH SCHOOL ROLE PLAYING GAMES  (Read 21350 times)

Fizban

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
    • Ministry of Game
Re: HIGH SCHOOL ROLE PLAYING GAMES
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 10:38:58 PM »
It was my high school group.  It was fun back in the day, but I expect better from players these days.  I would crucify a lawful good paladin who did such a thing these days.  No fast-talking out of genocide.  But I'd never say they weren't fun times.

FrodoLlama

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »
I decided to play Wushu, and it turned out to perfect for my group. Justin Bieber, Napoleon Dynamite, and a Ninja Mage all wanted to get a golden manhole cover, so they all started fighting. Napoleon used his mad nunchuk skills and did rain dances, while the Ninja Mage froze things and Bieber used his fangirls to shield him.
By the end of the first session, Napoleon commandeered a jet and flew it into the Bieber Mansion, and they're all currently trying to survive the aftermath.

Robot Master

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • "Wu Tang gets they cookie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 08:41:50 PM »
I quit a game in one session. It was a Vampire: The Masquerade LARP. All it took was for one person to explain their character to me. It went a little something like this:

"My character is an 7th Generation Ravnos (Gypsy Vampire) dressed like I am (Hawaiian Shirt and flip flops). He's used the vampire power of Chimerstry to permanently imbue himself with some sort of aura that causes a mass hallucination that gives him a working lightsaber that causes enough aggravated damage to kill anything with one or two hits. Also, when people give him trouble he summons a giant purple walrus with eight dicks to chase the person down with the promise of fucking their character if it ever catches them. I've had this character for six years, and I've got so much shit on my character sheet that I'm having my character master menial tasks such as carpentry and microbrewing. Oh, and I flirt with everyone's character."

...I shit you not. The character's name was "Justin Case". The game was also run by a guy who later turned out to be obsessed with Unicorns and Nicole Kidman, and threatened to kick everyone out of his house whenever his character died. Correction. His character never died because he threatened to kick everyone out of the house whenever his character failed to be presented with an opportunity to choose something other than death.
Thanos: "I am going to sacrifice the Earth to gain the love of Death"
Me: (slowly raise eyebrow) "Destroy the Earth? That would be...illogical"
Vortex: "Yes...that...would be...highly...illogical."
Thanos: "Your Star Trek references bore me."

Kelkesh123

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • "What would the DC be for eating him whole?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 02:36:55 PM »
I quit a game in one session. It was a Vampire: The Masquerade LARP. All it took was for one person to explain their character to me. It went a little something like this:

"My character is an 7th Generation Ravnos (Gypsy Vampire) dressed like I am (Hawaiian Shirt and flip flops). He's used the vampire power of Chimerstry to permanently imbue himself with some sort of aura that causes a mass hallucination that gives him a working lightsaber that causes enough aggravated damage to kill anything with one or two hits. Also, when people give him trouble he summons a giant purple walrus with eight dicks to chase the person down with the promise of fucking their character if it ever catches them. I've had this character for six years, and I've got so much shit on my character sheet that I'm having my character master menial tasks such as carpentry and microbrewing. Oh, and I flirt with everyone's character."

...I shit you not. The character's name was "Justin Case". The game was also run by a guy who later turned out to be obsessed with Unicorns and Nicole Kidman, and threatened to kick everyone out of his house whenever his character died. Correction. His character never died because he threatened to kick everyone out of the house whenever his character failed to be presented with an opportunity to choose something other than death.

Ouuuucccchhhh, I take it it wasn't a possibility to go somewhere else to play?
"THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!"

Robot Master

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »
Ouuuucccchhhh, I take it it wasn't a possibility to go somewhere else to play?

Luckily I'm in Phoenix, which has a lot of gaming stores and a large population so yeah, we just gamed elsewhere. This LARP was about 9 years ago but from what I understand the game is still going on and the guy that hosts the game still throws gigantic hissy fits whenever things don't go his way.

In other news, our GM totally "phoned it in" last night and didn't bring anything to the table, so I had a bit of a High School RPG last night. He was tired and stressed from work and his over-demanding, selfish girlfriend wanted all of the RP for herself so she kept interrupting one of the other guys at the game table whenever he suggested we do something. So....the rest of us hijacked the game. The more we (and the GM) were laughing at stuff like Tracey Morgan impersonations in a super hero game, the more the GM's girlfriend got pissed off.

"Mistuh Sinistuh got's a diamond on his fo-head. I bets we can sell that shit to a Cash for Gold place!"

Was a fun time, actually but waaaaaay awkward. After end-game was called the GM's girlfriend basically snapped her fingers and told him it was time to go and were out the door within 3 minutes. Poor bastard.

Since he's burned out I'll be taking over the GM mantle for a few months with the Serenity RPG, so we'll have to see how she handles not getting all of the "boyfriend GM" attention that I'm not going to be giving her. Ugh. Dames.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 04:02:27 PM »
Since he's burned out I'll be taking over the GM mantle for a few months with the Serenity RPG, so we'll have to see how she handles not getting all of the "boyfriend GM" attention that I'm not going to be giving her. Ugh. Dames.

Ugh, indeed. We had something similar happen in the Mage game that keeps coming up as an example of what not to do while RP'ing. The GM had two friends, who rarely ever were there at the same time, who believed that they should dictate all the action.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Fizban

• View Profile
    • Ministry of Game
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 10:25:22 PM »
I just finished running the same con game (2nd ed Mage) four times at a convention this weekend, and I had this exact problem in one of my sessions - with two extremely loud players shouting out what they wanted to do/thought about the situation/random crap - every time I finished a sentence.  The other three players looked a little flustered, and one (who was probably the best roleplayer I had that weekend) was quite quietly spoken, and found it hard to get himself heard.

Now, it just so happens I had this same problem a few years ago when I ran a superhero game based on  a system called Kill Puppies For Satan.  So I invented an object called "The Edge".  Basically, it was like an initiatve marker, and every time your character performed an action, you had to pass on the edge to the next player. And whenever a social situation occured in the game, whoever was holding the edge was the person who had first option to talk.  If they didn't want to talk to that person, they could just pass the edge onto whoever they thought should do the talking.  It worked pretty well, although it did make the players feel a little like children (that's what they get for acting like children).

Anyway, I ended up basically having a 'virtual edge' in my mind for this mage game - when I would announce something would happen, as soon as I'd finished, I'd point at one person and ask them specifically what they wanted to say about it.  Helped a little at least, and I hope made the players all feel a little less like primary school children.

FrodoLlama

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 08:29:37 PM »
I've been having much the same problem with player shouting. One player in particular decided to just start yellling out what he was doing in a Wushu game whenever I spoke.

I established and pointed out the turn order for everyone present, but this one guy just started shouting that it was his turn in the middle of everything I said. When his last turn for the session was over and everyone was gone, he declared that everyone else's turn had passed and it was his turn again. In another session, I drowned his character because he was being so annoying and he kept declaring actions. His ghost started trying to hinder the players. In another session, I didn't even let him make a character, and he still created one. I took the paper and I threw it away, AND HE STILL KEPT TRYING TO PLAY.

Also bad, I have another player who doesn't seem to understand what GM powers I have. In Paranoia, he believed that there were multiple GMs and that I didn't dictate the world, and in Wushu he tried to make it so that his attack, instead of failing, was just delayed.

Also, just funny, everyone kept forgetting to bring dice to my games, so I ended up using the Nutrition Facts on a bag of Funyuns. "Okay, pick: Sodium or Cholesterol?"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 10:14:19 PM »
you have some asshole players

Fizban

• View Profile
    • Ministry of Game
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 10:53:56 PM »
you have some asshole players

I second this.  How do you not call a doctor to classify this guy as mentally incapable?

Robot Master

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2010, 09:10:04 AM »
I think we're missing the bigger picture here...

ANDREW from ANDREW'S FORTUNE CAME TO LIFE AND IS CURRENTLY PLAYING RPGS!!!!

FrodoLlama

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 08:28:07 AM »
HELP.

Lately, I've found a much more bearable group of roleplayers. Most of the players are several years my superiors, but that's not the issue. The issue is as follows:
It's a hack-n-slash DnD campaign and I hate the combat. Forty to eighty percent of any session is spent killing things, which means we have to sit around for two hours while our characters slowly attack the enemies.

Of course, that's just DnD, and you have to kill things at some point to make the game fun, but this is the problem:
I had to create a Meat Shield character, because the party seemed to lack one. I wanted my nature-loving super-warrior to have some flaw, so I made sure he was willing to put the life of the forest ahead of anything else and also made him slightly naive and distrusting of magic and machinery. However, when time came for an encounter, I didn't know what to do, and then the other players sort-of directed me where I needed to go and told me what to do. The slaver people are defeated with just a couple of fires left over ihn the town. End session one.
Wait, fires? If the wooden houses are destroyed, the townsfolk will cut down more trees and cause deforestation! Start session two, where I run up a mountain, grab some seeds and an item whose effect is random, and run back down. I proclaim that sdeforestation is bad and propose to turn these seeds into might trees in order to spare the forest. Of course, since the effects are random, I actually got a giant Venus Flytrap. When the party had managed to burn it to death, they removed my random-power item priveleges and said that my character shouldn't be doing that because he had a high intelligence, and he wasn't supposed to be evil.

Now, there's the problem (sorry that I anecdoted along the way): none of my characters work. My character was flawed and had a skewed perception of good and evil based on his own experiences, and that made him an evil idiot.
I suggested a rogue who wanted to be psionic and so ate the brains of all of his foes (and friends) in case they might be telepathic. It was too evil, and this was a completely good campaign.
I suggested a negotiator, and it didn't work. This character didn't have a name, a race, or a class, and he still didn't work. The very idea of not killing something wouldn't work in this campaign.
I even thought up a cleric who worshipped himself and granted himself spells per day like "drink water" and "do jumping jacks", but I doubt he would even be allowed.

So, in the end, that's how this plays out: whatever character I make has to be based on killing things, and I hate killing things in 4e DnD. An attempt to combine the roleplaying and the fighting into one character produced an evil idiot who's not allowed to use the magical items.
Not to say that this group is bad, all of them have been very welcoming and it's the very nature of the game, and not them, that I'm struggling against.

So, how do I make a fun character without breaking the rules of the campaign or incurring the wrath of the other players?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 04:29:42 PM »
make a character without a gimmick.

Robot Master

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 11:30:57 PM »
I agree. Stop trying to make overly dynamic characters and play the comic relief role. If you're funny, then cool, but don't be funny to the point that it's a distraction or makes it hard to cooperate with the other players.

Take Locke for example in the New World game. Cody is a funny guy, but his character isn't over the top. He's a wizard that's been bound against his will into the service of a lich. Cody makes jokes around it, but doesn't try to make his character a quirky joke in and of itself.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2010, 08:48:19 AM »
I also agree, but from a different perspective. Don't come up with gimmicks that require a change in the game world. If you want your character to have some kind of quirk, then your character better develop that quirk through the course of playing. Make the character interesting without having a quirk and you'll find a quirk through the course of playing the character. Hell, you don't even know the character's personality until you've played a few game sessions.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read