Author Topic: Names for a Cult  (Read 11825 times)

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
Names for a Cult
« on: April 07, 2011, 11:39:31 PM »
I'm about to start my pre-WWII Wild Talents supers game this weekend (I hope), but I've run into a small bit of a road block. I'm working on antagonists, evil organizations, gangs, ruffians, hooligans, etc., and on the small scale groups that will be dealt with in a session or a single plotline are not an issue. However, I've been leaning on the Esoteric Order of Dagon (expanded) as my primary cult of reference, and over the last week or so I've become disenchanted with that idea. The concept is not the EOoD as it is portrayed in the Lovecraft Mythos, but as a larger, sinister conspiracy of various cults to ancient entities and forbidden knowledge, from the mythos as well as various outside sources. To simply repurpose the EOoD seems kind of cheap.
So!
I need a name (or several aliases) for a grand organization that seeks to organize the end of the world as we know it, using every obscure and arcane method they can find.
Any suggestions?

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: Names for a Cult
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:43:43 PM »
umm it isn't a "cult" name technically but I like the Order of Taraka or the Order of Oreilleus (or really us) both names stolen from BtVS but not everyone is as obsessed with Buffy as me so they rarely recognize the reference.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:25:10 AM »
Mine stuff out of Frazer's Golden Bough. Volume 3: A Study in Magic and Religion is probably most applicable: http://books.google.com/books?id=CYAIAQAAIAAJ&dq=Golden%20Bough%3A%20A%20study%20in%20Magic%20and%20Religion&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

doctorscraps

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »
When I was running Trail of Cthulhu, the players were members of a group called the Agency of Chaos, who specialized in dealing with Mythos and paranormal situations.
Near the end, the players began to do a little digging, and learned that the Agency was a pretty old group, dating back to the 1700's when it was known as The Brotherhood of Chaos, and even earlier than that in the 1500's as The Order of the Great Chaos, and eventually tracing the groups roots all the way to somewhere in Ireland in the 1100's when it was known as The Followers of the Crawling Chaos.
The players benefactor was one of the avatars of Nyarlathotep all along.
When the GM can't roll higher than a ten on the D20, he see's his plot points flash before his eyes.

Moondog

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • A soul in polyhedron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 02:38:52 PM »
Order of the <adjective> <verb> usually works.

Order of the Golden Dawn, Order of the Red Dragon (both actual cult/orders)

Brotherhood Of The Three-Fold Claw yadda yadda yadda.
Currently Reading: FIGHT!: The Fighting Game RPG! (it owns)

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 03:37:50 PM »
The Cult Church of Mormon.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 03:40:42 PM »

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:00:01 PM »
The Church of Mormon.

The Church of Jesus Christ Latter-Day Saints, you mean?

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 11:50:30 PM »
The Church of Mormon.

The Church of Jesus Christ Latter-Day Saints, you mean?

Or do I?
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

King CMOS

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • The wise and powerful King CMOS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 07:50:01 AM »
Also, don't forget about evil corporate cults. The Gakuso Group (MPD Psycho), The Quanta Group (Believers), and the Sea Organization (Church of Scientology) do spring to mind.

In terms of "Order of" names I liked the Order of the Black Snow.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 07:57:55 AM by King CMOS »

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 01:46:51 AM »
Thanks for the names! I've given the matter some thought, and I'm going to base the cult around the (fictional, my creation) Greek Philosopher and mythos cultist Tremecleus, so it'll be one of the following: The Tremeclean Order, The Brotherhood of Tremecleus, or the Tremeclean Fellowship - whichever sounds the best. Lemme know which you think sounds better!
Essentially, it's a 'it is better to rule in hell (briefly) than reign in heaven, so let's burn this fucker down' sort of philosophy. Perhaps a little more patient than that, but you get the idea.

Or I could go with the Order of the Cerulean Mollusk, but that feels a little tired.  ;)

umm it isn't a "cult" name technically but I like the Order of Taraka or the Order of Oreilleus (or really us) both names stolen from BtVS but not everyone is as obsessed with Buffy as me so they rarely recognize the reference.
I didn't personally watch the series, but I know a number of my players have, so those are out.  :-X Plus I'd like to either pervert an existing real-life organization or come up with something whole cloth.

Mine stuff out of Frazer's Golden Bough. Volume 3: A Study in Magic and Religion is probably most applicable: http://books.google.com/books?id=CYAIAQAAIAAJ&dq=Golden%20Bough%3A%20A%20study%20in%20Magic%20and%20Religion&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false
Patrick, I will definitely have to give that book a glance, from what little I've read it should be very useful.

When I was running Trail of Cthulhu, the players were members of a group called the Agency of Chaos, who specialized in dealing with Mythos and paranormal situations.
Near the end, the players began to do a little digging, and learned that the Agency was a pretty old group, dating back to the 1700's when it was known as The Brotherhood of Chaos, and even earlier than that in the 1500's as The Order of the Great Chaos, and eventually tracing the groups roots all the way to somewhere in Ireland in the 1100's when it was known as The Followers of the Crawling Chaos.
The players benefactor was one of the avatars of Nyarlathotep all along.
Most of my players have read Lovecraft and are familiar with my style of running games, so they would catch that particular bit of foreshadowing right off the bat and commence with the murder. Still a fun plot twist when you can make it work, though!

Order of the <adjective> <verb> usually works.

Order of the Golden Dawn, Order of the Red Dragon (both actual cult/orders)

Brotherhood Of The Three-Fold Claw yadda yadda yadda.
Another proponent of the mad libs school of antagonist design! Yeah, this is what I ended up doing. Really just writing the post gave me a few ideas, but I felt like I should toss something up just in case. Game will begin later today and I'm not comfortable leaving EVERYTHING to the last minute (just most things.  ;D )

The Cult Church of Mormon.
Tempting, very tempting, but I'm already working with enough factions, and this'll be a primarily European campaign. It may be that I'm just unfamiliar, but I thought Mormonism was a fairly US-centric thing.
"So who'll we be fighting today?"
"Polygamists!"
"...polygamists?"
"Eeeeeeevil polygamists!"
"Oh no! The worst ones!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thule_Society
Existing faction, in this timeline they were subsumed into the lunatic fringe of the Waffen SS instead of being purged by Hitler and the other high-ranking Nazi officials. Good suggestion, though. Thanks!

Also, don't forget about evil corporate cults. The Gakuso Group (MPD Psycho), The Quanta Group (Believers), and the Sea Organization (Church of Scientology) do spring to mind.

In terms of "Order of" names I liked the Order of the Black Snow.
1930's seems a bit early for much in the way of corporate cults. Maybe a cult of personality around an industry baron (or a time-displaced scientist, totally not a plan, whaaaaaaaaat?), but I dunno about major corporate intrigue. This'll be an international spies 'n' secrets kind of game, with superpowered Nazi supersoldiers and strange and bizarre cults coming out of the woodwork. I suppose there might be room for the boardroom, but I dunno if the players will dig it with everything else.

tl;dr - Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 01:49:46 AM by SageNytell »

King CMOS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 05:07:24 AM »
Aw snap, I actually missed that it was 1930's and in Europe. I wasn't thinking it at all at the time, but 1930's would be awesome for Evil US Business. The players could be SS men in FDR's service, trying to put down a Business Plot supported by cultists. It'd turn out that those same industries had been using Deep Ones instead of Pinkertons to bust unions. The people who actually know about the 1930's have probably already thought of this one and what I'm thinking of was probably in Targets of Opportunity or some other fantastic COC book.

also I'm going to cast a vote for Sons of Tremecleus

SageNytell

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2011, 09:58:04 AM »
Aw snap, I actually missed that it was 1930's and in Europe. I wasn't thinking it at all at the time, but 1930's would be awesome for Evil US Business. The players could be SS men in FDR's service, trying to put down a Business Plot supported by cultists. It'd turn out that those same industries had been using Deep Ones instead of Pinkertons to bust unions. The people who actually know about the 1930's have probably already thought of this one and what I'm thinking of was probably in Targets of Opportunity or some other fantastic COC book.

also I'm going to cast a vote for Sons of Tremecleus

Actually, [spoiler]the unions and their mobster bosses are the ones using the Deep Ones.[/spoiler]  ;D But we'll see if the players land in America to figure that out. That would make a nifty campaign, though, especially in the wake of the Innsmouth raid by the navy at more or less exactly this time in history.

King CMOS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 08:09:55 PM »
Awesome! Take that, Pinkertons! or whatever they use in Europe instead of Pinkertons.