Author Topic: My head and a brick wall are becoming friends  (Read 6186 times)

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
My head and a brick wall are becoming friends
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:02:00 AM »
Can someone help me, please?

I've been trying to come up with an idea for a short horror adventure that is non-Cthulhu. I'm trying to enter a contest at Chaosium, but every horror idea I come up with feels stupid or rail-roady. Uhg!  >:(

I'm trying to find a happy balance between a liner story and an open sandbox. So, I want a story to progress, but each link of the story should allow the players some freedoms to explore or investigate. I'm just not feeling any of the ideas that I'm coming up with.

Anybody want to chip-in and help?
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: My head and a brick wall are becoming friends
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 01:15:37 PM »
Combine the two. Linear story that will follow players around a sandbox. It uses the same concept as Schrodinger's Dungeon where the players will always wind up in the places you have ready.

Script events that are unconnected to specific locations or to only general ones like "near trees" or "by water" so that events appear to be connected to the player's surroundings.

The Curse is a concept I like, something that literally follows the players and depending on how hard you press it can create a chase game (themed like "Terminator") or a one by one game (like "Final Destination" or to envoke a proper classic "Ten Little Indians"). Basically you have something or someone who is hounding the players. The players can not defeat The Curse through direct force but this can manifest in any number of ways.

An agent of The Curse may be too powerful to defeat (ie Terminator), or if you defeat one than another will come, or the agents(s) can not be defeated for any significant length of time (ie Nazgul). Additionally the "agent" may be an effect or something less easily explained such as living beings becoming progressivally more aggressive towards the subject of The Curse the longer they are nearby.

My suggestion is to work out something like Final Destination where the players bring their fate upon themselves through some ignorance of "higher" laws. They did something that somehow placed them at fault. It may not be fair, but the universe does not care about fairness. So, sort of leaning into that Lovecraft amoral universe theory, it still works as a non-Cthulhu story.

dragonshaos

• Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 01:43:44 AM »
Ooooo, you could have the Players themselves be The Curse and it's their job to hound after someone/groups/item.  Oh wait...that's just them chasing someone...nvm

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 02:06:21 AM »
They say the well at the top of the hill past the old Lawson place grants a wish but damns your soul to hell. I know one man who marched up there and made a wish. Left the town the next morning. They said he found a sack full of money in a hollow part of his house's walls. He died a week later - drugs they said.
-

Everyone wakes up next to a well in an abandoned farm at night. There's a body wrapped up in a blanket, a shotgun with three spent shells, a bible with the pages torn out, and a shoe box full of photos nearby.

No one remembers what happened exactly.

Someone wished for wealth.
Someone wished to know the future.
Someone wished for love.

And someone wished to live.

No one will live until morning unless you all can piece together what happened and make one last wish.

dragonshaos

• Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:20:42 AM »
They say the well at the top of the hill past the old Lawson place grants a wish but damns your soul to hell. I know one man who marched up there and made a wish. Left the town the next morning. They said he found a sack full of money in a hollow part of his house's walls. He died a week later - drugs they said.
-

Everyone wakes up next to a well in an abandoned farm at night. There's a body wrapped up in a blanket, a shotgun with three spent shells, a bible with the pages torn out, and a shoe box full of photos nearby.

No one remembers what happened exactly.

Someone wished for wealth.
Someone wished to know the future.
Someone wished for love.

And someone wished to live.

No one will live until morning unless you all can piece together what happened and make one last wish.

Oh, shit just got real.  Damn that's pretty good!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 01:18:21 PM »
That is very cool... hmm...
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)