Author Topic: Everyone Betrays Me!: The Room Tribute Thread  (Read 117534 times)

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: Everyone Betrays Me!: The Room Tribute Thread
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »
See my comment where Cody post this in the Best Internet Vidyas thread.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

doctorscraps

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2010, 02:05:56 AM »
I've made it a habit to utter "Ebyone betways me..." when some minor inconvenience occurs.
What, you don't?
When the GM can't roll higher than a ten on the D20, he see's his plot points flash before his eyes.

Zeriken

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Now, I re-watched podcast 30 of the new world campaign earlier today. There were a few references to a movie. I actually have not seen the movie myself. Anyways, the thing is I was bored.

So I jump onto newgrounds and look for some sort of game to play. I find this:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/547307

Now, imagine my surprise when I find the very same thing that everyone from NWC was talking about. Very coincidental.

I am amused.
Magadheera - Must find sub of this movie.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2010, 11:33:31 PM »
don't worry about it

http://theroomsoundboard.com/

Joven

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2010, 01:24:36 AM »
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2010, 11:03:31 AM »
Now, I re-watched podcast 30 of the new world campaign earlier today. There were a few references to a movie. I actually have not seen the movie myself. Anyways, the thing is I was bored.

So I jump onto newgrounds and look for some sort of game to play. I find this:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/547307

Now, imagine my surprise when I find the very same thing that everyone from NWC was talking about. Very coincidental.

I am amused.

woah, woah, hold on here.

How long has the new world campaign had its own acronym?

Zeriken

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2010, 11:47:12 AM »
woah, woah, hold on here.

How long has the new world campaign had its own acronym?

Lol, I did a search on the site. External things not included, I guess since September 5th? XD! It's cool enough to have one, at the very least.
Magadheera - Must find sub of this movie.

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2010, 12:22:30 PM »
We were talking about this last night, myself and a few friends.  I had forgotten that the movie had cost $6,000,000, and what I want to know is: Where did all that money go?  It certainly wasn't to very talented actors (in fact it wasn't really much to actors at all since there really weren't that many roles), and they couldn't have spent that much on the sets...

Maybe the whole movie was an elaborate way for Tommy Wiseau to hide/squander/conceal his ill-gotten gains...

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
I'm thinking permits and licenses.

Movies are really expensive regardless.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2010, 03:52:50 PM »

Yeah, but look at a film like Saw, which cost a little over a million as I recall.  Now, I'm not arguing whether that was a good or bad movie, but it was certainly a much "better" movie in terms of sets, "special effects," and acting.  I haven't seen Saw in a while and when I did it was on TV, but the two seemed pretty comparable on year made, length, number of sets, and number of actors, but there is a significant cost difference...

Granted I think that a million of the $6,000,000 was spent on marketing and potentially the premiere, but still, something like 1.5 million compared to even a generous 4?  I just find it kind of odd...

Random Note:
In my research, I found this on Wikipedia, people may already know this, but suddenly the birthday scene makes much more sense:

Kyle Vogt, who played Peter, quit the film halfway through the shoot. His lines in the last half of the film were given to Greg Ellery, whose character is never introduced, explained, or addressed by name. Ellery's character is listed in the credits as "Steven".

EDIT:
Strike pretty much everything I said.  Reading the full Wiki and actually thinking, I have chalked up the price merely to Tommy Wiseau's incompetence and potential lack of understanding of how much things should cost...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_%28film%29#Production
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:58:37 PM by Mckma »

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »
So I did some more reading just out of interest (everything you could ever need to know about The Room, especially for "new viewers"), and frankly, Tommy Wiseau has gone from this funny, strange, quirky man to this creepy, completely unknown, alien, terrifying creature.  Like there is literally nothing known about him.  And there are all kinds of weird stories about him.  I mean I thought the guy was just quirky and odd, but no, he is downright creepy and strange.  Maybe I'm just xenophobic or something, but man, I would not want to run into him even on an open street in broad daylight...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2010, 04:19:48 PM »

35mm film is expensive to shoot and process plus The Room did have a full professional crew of like 50-75 people or something like that.

Patrick

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • No federal minimum wage for kobolds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2010, 02:07:14 AM »
I believe I read somewhere that Tommy Wisneau shot the film in "Hi-Def" and "Standard-Def", which in itself isn't odd, but he purchased the actual cameras he used to shoot the film. Apparently, they (the cameras) are very, very expensive pieces of equipment. The article stated that most directors rent their cameras for a fixed period of time to cut down on costs.

I still find it hard to believe (especially in light of the generous use of "B" roll, even though Tommy is in some of the shots) that The Room cost six millions dollars to make. I think Tommy probably spent some dough on marketing and sent a little cash overseas to gather "interest"...

[Resistance Is Futile... Have A Great Day!]