Author Topic: Gamer Flaws: Significant Other (+5 Points)  (Read 25498 times)

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Gamer Flaws: Significant Other (+5 Points)
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 09:31:16 AM »
I am in TO, but they aren't Portuguese. And the daughter is cute - she also works as a waitress at a pub not too far away.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 09:52:49 AM »
I was just messing around. One of my former profs was a Canadian-Portuguese who used to talk about the large Canadian-Portuguese population in Toronto.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 11:13:47 AM »
It's Toronto, isn't there a large everything population? I seem to recall hearing Toronto is the most ethnically diverse city in the world.

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 01:24:59 PM »
It basically is. We also have the best assortment of food anywhere. It is hard to be skinny here, so I don't even try.

And whatever kind of woman you are into is available.

TO is basically like most very large cities. I find it has a lot in common with New York, based on my visits, and Ottawa reminds me of Boston.

Mind you, the accents are all over the place here.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 10:45:22 PM »
TO is basically like most very large cities. I find it has a lot in common with New York, based on my visits, and Ottawa reminds me of Boston.

TO was immensely more walkable than NYC when I was there. Although I will never listen to my friend Brian again when he says "the bar is just around the block" because "around the block" means three miles away through five different residential neighborhoods...
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 04:13:48 AM »
When it comes to gaming with the wife its a double edged sword in my experience.
On one hand you have someone who should ideally support you, respect you and help push the game along knowing when you are having difficulties (kinda how Ross describes his style of play). On the other you have someone who expects preferential treatment, is open to arguing points with you with intent to win and pouts to the point of disrupting the game when the previous isn't achieved.
I want to say that prior statement of this is true and on some occasions it is and they are good times.

I'm not saying that she's a bad player (of Jessica standard) but she can be. This wasn't a problem back before our relationship and marriage, she was a model player. What I'm saying is that gaming with my wife is tough, I regularly game with approx 7 players and try my best to give each one ample exposure time and its not easy when you're juggling events and all you can hear out of one ear is 'He's forgetting me again'.

In then end I try not to bite into an argument but do you guys see what i mean?

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 05:00:03 AM »
I totally see what you mean. Sort of the same reason that my girl doesn't game.
She is a J.A.P. and can really pout.

She listens to me blather on about games and helps come up with ideas, i feel that is sort of like playing, but she is really too much of a stuck up bitch to want to have to deal with failures on rolls and being limited and such.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 05:38:26 AM »
Recently going to the local game store with my wife and picing up the new 40k rule book she said she wants to play 40k with me. So I bought some minis. She likes legos so I think she will dig putting them together but playing will have to see.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:40:21 AM by Boyos »

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 05:44:31 AM »
Is she going to paint them pink?
I wish I was Tom.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 09:55:52 AM »

Damn Shallazar. I thought I was hard on my Jewish friends. Then you just go out and totally trash on your wife.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 11:39:56 AM »
She likes legos so I think she will dig putting them together but playing will have to see.

Legos don't normally involve super glue and hours of hunched work with a paint brush only a dozen horse hairs thick.

I've got some 40K figures that I normally use for other games because I just couldn't keep myself focused on painting all of them after I put on the base coat.

I call them the "Primer Army". All of them are solid black except for the one my fiance put together. That one is painted "aqua" and his jet pack is on upside down. My players love this one so he's normally the stand in for the enemy leader.

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 02:55:22 PM »
When it comes to gaming with the wife its a double edged sword in my experience.
On one hand you have someone who should ideally support you, respect you and help push the game along knowing when you are having difficulties (kinda how Ross describes his style of play). On the other you have someone who expects preferential treatment, is open to arguing points with you with intent to win and pouts to the point of disrupting the game when the previous isn't achieved.
I want to say that prior statement of this is true and on some occasions it is and they are good times.

I can kinda see your point, Wooberman. As I said in my previous post, my girlfriend usually sits in on sessions and plays World of Warcraft while I run games, and there are times when she tends to demand attention from me at the worst possible moment. I, too, run a pretty large game--usually eight or nine players--and I'll be in the middle of a combat round or trying to get everyone's attention so that we can get started when she'll ask me to get her something from the fridge upstairs. I'm usually pretty easygoing about doing stuff like that for her, but it really bugs the crap out of me when I'm trying to GM. I've tried talking to her about it afterward, and it's clear that she's made an effort not to interrupt, but it still happens on occasion. Working with your significant other on these things can be a bit trying at times, but I still don't think of it as a gamer "flaw" per se.

Damn Shallazar. I thought I was hard on my Jewish friends. Then you just go out and totally trash on your wife.

It does seem like you're being a little hard on her, Shal. But I see what you mean. it doesn't sound like she has the disposition for gaming.

vorpal_forklift

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
Actually, I met my boyfriend at a gaming convention, so trying to get each other to try gaming is of course not an issue. He has a lot more gaming experience than I do, and wants to play games that just aren't my thing, or plots that aren't interesting to me (he's a huge history buff and I'm way more into fantasy).

We both love the con scene, because we can meet other people and get new groups together. This last weekend we were at Dundracon and met a married couple there, and a ton of non-married couples as well.

It get's hard for him to NOT give me preferential treatment sometimes, and I've had to sit him down and tell him "I'm a player like any other player. Sex does not buy nice shiny items". He does come up with the most amazing plots (when they are of my flavor and I'll play or watch) and I always feel when he asks for my advice "How can I possibly contribute to this?" I have not yet GM'd, but if he expects preferential treatment, I'll have to kill him instead.
Everything has a price.

Shallazar

• I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 11:52:47 PM »
The thing is she would agree with my assessment of her and her attitude, she knows it.
I've gamed with plenty of females though, ones that were gamers before I've met them. they didn't seam to game that differently than boys. So there isn't a sex difference.
But there is probably something to be said when its a GM and player relationship as well as a romantic relationship. There are different roles and scripts to go along with gaming.

I am more of a frienemy GM.

When my little sister games with us she can pretty much get behind being treated the same as a normal player. She gets a kick out of it, i've been forcing her to make characters for almost every game system i learn in hopes that someday she makes a great gamer wife for some gamer dood. I want to leave the world a better place, full of gaming love.

But my girl is a different case entirely.
I wish I was Tom.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2010, 11:57:01 PM »
She likes legos so I think she will dig putting them together but playing will have to see.

Legos don't normally involve super glue and hours of hunched work with a paint brush only a dozen horse hairs thick.

I've got some 40K figures that I normally use for other games because I just couldn't keep myself focused on painting all of them after I put on the base coat.

I call them the "Primer Army". All of them are solid black except for the one my fiance put together. That one is painted "aqua" and his jet pack is on upside down. My players love this one so he's normally the stand in for the enemy leader.

Yeah I know that but she says she still wants to do it. It will help her build patients or brake her compleatly haha. And yes she said she wants pink, but hey pink on orcs is ok there orcs they think red makes them go faster.