Author Topic: How did you find RPPR?  (Read 89620 times)

nekomata

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find RPPR?
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »
I'm from Kansas, near Wichita. It's quiet. peaceful, and you can actually see the stars at night... on the other hand its full of old people and boring as fuck. Still, its nice to get away from a big ass place like Columbus every now and then, all the imbred cats on my uncles farm creep me out though...

And yeah, wearing jayhawks stuff around buckeyes gets fun.
Just because you aren't drunk now doesn't mean you won't have a hangover tommarow.
The only thing worse then zombies is nanotech zombies that are immune to disintegration.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2010, 12:05:36 PM »
Where exactly? I grew up north of Emporia and worked in Wichita for a few summers.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

nekomata

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2010, 12:15:41 PM »
Hutchinson, about an hour north of Wichita. I go back every now and then to visit my family. Some of my best childhood memories are sitting on my grandmas porch watching the trains, damned Southern Pacific ran less then 2 house lengths from her house, with Santa Fe and couple of blocks from that... I also remember the time I nailed a horse fly the size of silver dollar with an aluminum baseball bat, haven't seen a smear that big since.
Just because you aren't drunk now doesn't mean you won't have a hangover tommarow.
The only thing worse then zombies is nanotech zombies that are immune to disintegration.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2010, 12:18:57 PM »
Man the last time I was in Hutchinson was on a field trip to the Air and Space Museum when I was in junior high.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

nekomata

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2010, 12:28:27 PM »
I love the museum... I actually got to touch a Blackbird, so cool. Although, this probably says to what kind of sad person I am, but I find going there depressing... Just because when I look at all that stuff it just reminds me that I'll probably never get to go into space, let alone see another star... Ah, damn star trek. :'(

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2010, 01:12:14 PM »
You know what's worse is trying to equivocate a Jayhawker (someone from Eastern Kansas) with either Northerners or Southerners. We get pissed either way.
What do the people from Western Kansas call themselves?
There are people there?!?

I Googled "western Kansas" to get material for a witty reply ("Somebody has to feed the cows and drag the phone wire") and now I'm enjoying reading through the "Discover Western Kansas" official website.

Enjoying? Really?

Interesting...

Marik

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2013, 09:50:23 AM »
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I figured I'd share how I found RPPR because I think it's a pretty funny story.

About six months ago our gaming group were playing our AD&D 2nd edition campaign and they were just after defeating some baddie that allowed me to roll on those good old treasure tables in the DMs guide. So I make the rolls and get "The Weird Stuff" table. Having fond memories of the Deck of Many Things from my gaming sessions in the 90s I thought that this could be interesting...

I continue the roll and get Apparatus of Kwalish. I said outloud "WTF is that?" which piqued my players interest in what I had rolled. Oddly enough I didn't have any experience with this item in the old days. I googled Apparatus of Kwalish to find out what it is and came across Episode 27 Grand Theft Apparatus of Kwalish.

A few days later,  I was traveling to Europe I figured i'd give the podcast a listin while working my way through airports and flights. Since then I have listined to all the available podcasts on itunes.

As a sidenote the druid in my play group is still dragging around the "Magic Barrell" he found and he still has no idea what it is or does.

Marik

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 08, 2013, 02:46:53 PM »
As a sidenote the druid in my play group is still dragging around the "Magic Barrell" he found and he still has no idea what it is or does.

This: http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,331.msg4966.html#msg4966

Cayrus

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 08, 2013, 04:02:14 PM »
I started listening to the APs back in September I think.  I'd listed to the Penny Arcade DnD podcast and thought they were great.  That's what got me into DnD.  Then on the PA forums I found a couple PbP of Call of Cthulhu that were interesting enough to read.  They were doing The Haunting, which I didn't realize at the time was a published adventure.  I remembered at that point that I liked listening to AP podcasts, so I googled The Haunting AP and found RPPR through that.

Yup, my first RPPR AP was Aaron's epic The Haunting game.  It was so hilarious (Scientologist brothers, Pancake Jamboree, Cody) that I had to listen to more.  I devoured all the CoC shortly thereafter, then New World, Eclipse Phase, and now I'm on New Arcadia.  When I get caught up on those I have no idea what I'll do in the time between Ross postings.

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 08, 2013, 04:34:16 PM »
I have two other podcasts to thank for introducing me to this one, I started listening to the H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast a couple of years ago, eventually it came up on one of there shows about the guys at Unspeakable and so I hopped on over there and that  introduced me to Ross and shortly after RPPR.

And then drunk and the ugly after listening to the Monsters and other Childish Things episode of the main show.
Liquid Water?

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2013, 02:49:00 AM »
I found RPPR when someone linked Lover in the Ice over on Yog.

sinanju

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »
I received an Ipod Nano from my wife for my Birthday in January. I'd been listening to the Iheart Radio on my phone (talk radio or comedy) while at work until some $&#@& elsewhere in the building password-protected the previously open wi-fi hotspot I'd been using. So my wife gave me an Ipod. I still couldn't stream the comedy channels I'd been listening to, and I got tired of talk radio, so I started searching iTunes for interesting podcasts.

First I stumbled across an actual play podcast I no longer remember the name of. Something to do with "Nerds". It was mildly amusing, but it was D&D. So I searched for superhero gaming podcasts and found the Wild Talents podcasts. Score! They were fun (and funny), and introduced me to Wild Talents to boot. I started working my way through the Wild Talents podcasts, then added Eclipse Phase, and other games. Alas, I'm all caught up on Wild Talents and Eclipse Phase is over for now. I'm currently working my way through the "best of" lists Ross posted. (I gotta say, Lady Gaga 2.0 was hysterical.)

And now I've gone and bought several Wild Talents and Eclipse Phase game books. Darn RPPR!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2013, 06:10:24 PM »
And now I've gone and bought several Wild Talents and Eclipse Phase game books. Darn RPPR!

8)

sinanju

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2013, 06:16:45 PM »

8)

I haven't actually played Wild Talents or Eclipse Phase yet, but I love reading about the Eclipse Phase game/background. I do intend to play Wild Talents because...I'm a Champions player. I know Tom's opinion of the system, and he has a point. I've been playing it off and on since the first edition waaaaaaaay back when, and even I would never try to play (much less run) the game without character design software. The game scratches an itch for playing superheroes with a system that lets you do almost anything (for enough point) that few other games do.

But Wild Talents may let me do the same without having to crunch numbers like an accountant.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »
Yeah, once you get used to the ORE system, WT is a breeze to run. Even Mutants and Masterminds is harder to run in my (limited) experience.