Author Topic: Don't Tease The Panther - Post Your Favorite Terrible Published Writing  (Read 31564 times)

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile

acronomicon

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile

Criticizing a writer for not having the same social mores and sensibilities is pretty weak. It opens a huge can of worms for pretty much all writers of note. Shakespeare for Shylock, Twain for Nigger Jim, Conrad for the Nigger of Narcissus and on and on and on.

That being said, there has been much written about HPL's racism by some brilliant writers. I recommend Michel Houellebecq's "H.P Lovecraft: Against the World, Against Life" which has a chapter addressing his racism and argues that it was part of the central motivating force in his writing.I just re-read it (starts on p. 105) and it's a great read.  After all, the Mythos are the perfect Other. So if you enjoy some of his work, then you are part to the same types of thought as HPL.  :O

Anyway, great art requires great understanding in order to comprehend. It's fine to read and enjoy the work of HPL on a surface level but disliking it because it makes you uneasy because of his antiquated racism shows that you need to dive deeper. You can enjoy his work and acknowledge his racism at the same time.

I'll have to check that book out.  I will say that I think his racism went a little deeper than some of the authors you cited, or at least in my reading it seems to be deeper than using a term that was socially acceptable at the time of writing.  I tend to agree with S.T. Joshi in his assertion that Lovecraft tended to go further than other authors of his time period.

That being said there's no doubt that his views shaped his writing, as it does for all authors.  And nobody can deny the impact his writings have had over the years...and will continue to have for years to come.  Re-reading some of his writings with my eyes opened to the almost autobiographical nature of some of his characters, in terms of some of the hardships in his own life, certainly can give you an appreciation of where he was coming from.

I certainly don't throw him out as an author.  He is by far my favorite horror author, if you can even really tie his writings to a specific genre.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Anyway, great art requires great understanding in order to comprehend. It's fine to read and enjoy the work of HPL on a surface level but disliking it because it makes you uneasy because of his antiquated racism shows that you need to dive deeper. You can enjoy his work and acknowledge his racism at the same time.

I'd like to offer another counter reading of H.P.L.'s racism.

Noting the racism exists, as Ross says, is a weak form of criticism. Further, as Ross also says, the mythos entities form a perfect other. What we all know about mythos entities also is that that they are incomprehensibly more powerful than any human ever. So let's put this hierarchy into perspective:

Mythos Entity
Superior Race
Inferior Race

Now, I'm all about form equaling meaning, so what meanings can we take away from the hierarchy? On one hand, it forces the reader to recognize how all distinctions based on superior-inferior races are arbitrarily drawn and then justified through pseudoscience. Specifically a pseudoscience that cannot account for the mythos because of how superior mythos entities are to humans. On the other hand, it makes a dire warning about what happens when a member from a supposedly "superior race" finds his or her, but mostly his, self in the position of an inferior. The cognitive disruption caused in such an event literally makes the people of H.P.L.'s work go mad. Such a disruption would make a person, or group of persons, wholly unpredictable.

What I would like to suggest, then, is reading H.P.L.'s inveterate racism (and it is inveterate) as his own psychological struggle with knowing he was no longer part of a favored, superior race and his subsequent fear of what would replace his position in such a hierarchy.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Kroack

• View Profile
his wife was Jewish, wasn't she?

Or something like that.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile

Or something like that.

Didn't stop him from being a eugenicist.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK

Or something like that.

Also he mellowed out in his later years and regretted a lot of his earlier positions.

ThnJonWasAZmbie

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Where bears can fly.
    • View Profile

Or something like that.

Also he mellowed out in his later years and regretted a lot of his earlier positions.

for some reason this whole conversation reminds me of the argument over whether or not the term "porchmonkey" is racist in Clerks 2
Jumping off diving boards gives you the ability to make your rpg ring with authenticity.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile

Or something like that.

for some reason this whole conversation reminds me of the argument over whether or not the term "porchmonkey" is racist in Clerks 2

Then you should go back and read my serious reply earlier.

ThnJonWasAZmbie

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Where bears can fly.
    • View Profile

Or something like that.

Don't get me wrong, I gathered the seriousness of the conversation.  It just kinda made me laugh.

Then you should go back and read my serious reply earlier.
Jumping off diving boards gives you the ability to make your rpg ring with authenticity.

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
I hate to have to report this, but the book that started this thread has reached #1 on the NYT bestseller list.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
I'm not surprised. There is a lot of die hard Beckites-9/12-truthers out there that will read it with the utmost intent of following to its letter. Everyone else will read it so they can make fun of it at the office.

acronomicon

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
I'm not surprised. There is a lot of die hard Beckites-9/12-truthers out there that will read it with the utmost intent of following to its letter. Everyone else will read it so they can make fun of it at the office.

I wonder what percentage bought it because they like Beck.  Certainly a television and radio show promoting your product non-stop (presumably) does a lot to ramp up sales for your target audience.

I can't help but wonder if some of the success is people throwing money at it to game the system to get a #1 spot on the list for another tag for the book jacket.  I don't know the ins and outs of the system well enough to really speculate on how feasable that'd be.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
not quite on topic but whatever http://www.interrobangstudios.com/potluck/index.php?strip_id=988

not sure what to think of this

Kroack

• View Profile
i am at a loss for words.

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
Thank god there were only 9 ... I couldn't stop myself.